SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-30-2002, 02:01 PM   #1
tak
tak

5 yr Member
Default Segway & Some Disabilities

Before note: I wonder if this could be a thread to collect people who fit in any category of disability who expect to benefit from the Segway. Anybody else??????? Of course, anybody is invited to write anything.
I know that the Segway was not designed for people with disabilities, but I am betting that there is a level of disibility which will be "saved" by the Segway. I probably wouldn't be dreaming about it as much if I had the strength to walk a lot, but with the Segway I'm expecting a whole new lease on life. My particular health problem is called Still's Disease, but I'm sure there are a level of people out there which don't have the strength to walk far. I/we are perfectly able, but will get sick from using too much of my precious energy. I have always loved to walk and soooooo much miss walking out in nature. I'm not planning on the rugged, wild areas, but often even these areas have walking paths on them. I guess I'll be the tester for just how rugged is safe, but I'm an old guy, (well,starting) so I'm sure I won't over do it as I learn how much it can handle. I plan to keep one of my miricle inventions, the cell phone with me but I expect not to take chances, just to be out there. There are also plenty of roads in these areas with hardly any cars, so, will I get a new lease on life? (bad grammer?) I'm sure dreaming about it!!!!

Also, I just bought the roomba vacuum for my low energy. There's plenty to get upset with in the world, but isn't this a great time! Tom
tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 07:59 PM   #2
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Tak, it sounds to me like you're gonna love your newfound capabilities. Please be sure to sign into our "Owners' Roll Call" thread up top.

Broo

Brooster
Brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 11:46 AM   #3
herpos
herpos is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Tak, I too have a mobility disability (muscular dystrophy)and having tried the Segway aboard the Disney Magic a few weeks ago, I am buying one as well. The only real concerns are 1. an ability to step up on the platform (but the central staff helps that and a cane can also help) and 2. an ability to stand somewhat erect rather than lean over and obviously 3.the distance of the glide will depend on standing stamina.
But in every case this is much better than any method for getting around (even for the normal folks)
herpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
hodgepoj
hodgepoj

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tak

I wonder if this could be a thread to collect people who fit in any category of disability who expect to benefit from the Segway. Anybody else???????
Mrs. Hodgepoj and I will both use our HT to help us get around, Tom. When I ordered it in November, I thought it would help her go farther and faster without losing her breath (she has emphysema). Then in December I was diagnosed with ostroarthritis in my hip, so I now walk with a cane -- more slowly than she does.

So when our HT is delivered we'll take turns seeing how it helps our mobility. If it's as good as I think it will be, we'll order a second one so we can glide around the neighborhood together.

What is Still's Disease? Does it just rob you of energy or does it also make you weaker or less limber?

hodgepoj

hodgepoj
hodgepoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 09:01 AM   #5
casterman
casterman

5 yr Member

i am not disable but i have only a rigth hand(no left) does anyone knows if the HT can be retrofitted to be steered on the rigth.
thanks
Kemal

casterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:54 AM   #6
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by casterman

i am not disable but i have only a rigth hand(no left) does anyone knows if the HT can be retrofitted to be steered on the rigth.
thanks
Kemal
Contact Segway at 866-4Segway - I'm guessing they're the only one who really knows at this point. Haven't heard of it being done, but we also are a somewhat limited subset of all the existing Segway owners.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #7
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

Tom: There are quite a few of us here with mobility problems (for me MS) who are finding a whole new lease on life with the Segway. To be able to 'walk' the country lanes and run into town on a whim without pulling out the car is just wonderful.

It's such a joy to actually be 'out there' rather than stuck in a car with the windows up. I am having the best fun I have had in years and the Segway has proven to be better than any medicine that could be prescribed!

Happy gliding.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #8
MONTIE
MONTIE

5 yr Member

My wife has had back surgery and can not walk long distances however, gliding makes all the difference..Montie
MONTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 04:58 PM   #9
Lazarus
Lazarus

5 yr Member

Hi Tak!
John and I have been wondering how you are doing. I use Seg every day now and have experience with all terrains.

Deviant (member of this board) changed my red and my yellow key to have the turning speed of the black key (slower) and it has made gliding a lot safer for me.

Glad to hear how you are doing with your Segway.....Linda
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:40 PM   #10
casterman
casterman

5 yr Member

I called Segway about the retrofitting and.. I got a polite we are sorry but even at that price we do not support people with disabilities. I have to say i just tried a Segway it is definitely a revolutionary idea. However i feel very disappointed that they do not even pretend or try to help challenged people. That’s not revolutionary sound very old fashion to me. I did not use to have this problem on my left side a year ago. Now i can really experience what physical limitation are all about? Any way hopefully some other company more proactive an wiling to be integrated in our society might under some kind of license build more customizable solution.
Kemal

casterman is offline   Reply With Quote