SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
mjkwee
mjkwee is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Hi I am a newbie and a stroke survivor seeking advice.

I am a stroke survivor and have good use of my left side i.e. hand, arm and leg. I progressed from a wheelchair to a single forearm cane. I can stand for an hour and can get around quite well as a disabled person. I am exploring the possibility of using a Segway for my mobility especially when traveling and on walking tours. FYI, I have never been on a Segway and do not understand the challenges of operating one.

I am looking for advice on the following:
1. What model should I be considering?
2. Can the Segway be easily folded and transported on a plane or in a cruise ship?
3. Where can one look for a reasonably priced unit?

I welcome any advice on the above questions and any recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Michael
mjkwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkwee View Post
I am a stroke survivor and have good use of my left side i.e. hand, arm and leg. I progressed from a wheelchair to a single forearm cane. I can stand for an hour and can get around quite well as a disabled person. I am exploring the possibility of using a Segway for my mobility especially when traveling and on walking tours. FYI, I have never been on a Segway and do not understand the challenges of operating one.

I am looking for advice on the following:
1. What model should I be considering?
2. Can the Segway be easily folded and transported on a plane or in a cruise ship?
3. Where can one look for a reasonably priced unit?

I welcome any advice on the above questions and any recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Michael
Advice first...there is no substitute for actually trying one to know how it might work for you. An experienced user or helpful dealer should be able to help you figure things out. For most users an i2 model is the best disability choice and I'd definitely start there. Older models work a bit differently and may or may not fit your needs. See below, however.

Question 2: No it doesn't fold. You can take the handle unit off fairly easily. I need to do that to make it fit easily (via ramps) into my little station wagon. A Segvator or exterior carrier would make that unnecessary.

Transportation on a plane is a pain because the airlines can accept only older models with NIMH batteries, not the lithium ones. I have not had any problem except that unless you check it and use wheelchair assist in the airport it can be a bit awkward when they aren't quite sure what to do with it. You definitely need to make those arrangements ahead of time.

The first time I flew with mine ( after all kinds of hassles with the airline,) at the last gate in Tulsa, the grounds and baggage crew were waiting to see me ride off with it--they had never seen one before!

Cruises? theoretically they should accept them, but that will vary and you may have to argue the matter. I have not tested this...

Challenges in using? It is very simple and it took me only a minute to know that I could use it and not fall off. <G> You will have your own set of challenges, particularly, I suspect in getting on and off and that is something you will have to work out. Once on it, I suspect you will not find your disability a problem.

It is a remarkable machine, about as close as most of us will ever get to having a machine that reads our mind. Good luck and don't give up until you have given it a chance. Keep us posted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I take a small Segway model P-133 with me on planes and cruise ships. I drive it all the way down the jetway and they put in the the hold for me.

On the cruise ship, I use it everywhere. I even have taken it onto the tenders.

The small ones are getting pretty hard to find, but keep your eyes out, they popup on e-bay every now and then. I have a friend is Sacramento CA that I think wants to sell his.

Also I have rented mine out in the past, it's something to think about. You list your location as Sunnyvale, I'm in San Mateo. If you'd like to try one out give me a buzz.

You are going to need left hand strength for one of the "airplane friendly" Segways as you turn it with your left hand.

Good luck.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
I take a small Segway model P-133 with me on planes and cruise ships. I drive it all the way down the jetway and they put in the the hold for me.

The small ones are getting pretty hard to find, but keep your eyes out, they popup on e-bay every now and then. I have a friend is Sacramento CA that I think wants to sell his.

Also I have rented mine out in the past, it's something to think about. You list your location as Sunnyvale, I'm in San Mateo. If you'd like to try one out give me a buzz.

You are going to need left hand strength for one of the "airplane friendly" Segways as you turn it with your left hand.

Good luck.
Segway of Oakland used to sell right handed ones, but I feel that for uneven terrain, the 2nd gens are best suited, especially for ambidextorousity.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
mjkwee

5 yr Member
Default Newbie mjkwee trying to reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post

Good luck.

Thanks to all (Lily, jgbackes and Tritium) who responded with advice.
I am sorry for not being able to reply properly until I post 5X nor can I list my email in this msg. I am sorry as to what is the best way to connect?

Hi Jgbackes,

I am new to the forum and I am not sure what is the best method to respond to your message. I tried several ways.

Thanks again for you reply and advice. I am very interested in taking up your offer to try your Segway to get a better feel and sense as to what challenges I may encounter. I can meet you at your convenience.

Btw, does your friend in Sacramento still have his PT-133 for sale? Do you know what he wants for it?

I apologize that I can't list my contact info here.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
mjkwee

5 yr Member

Hi Lily,

Thanks for the advice and recommendation. I attempted to respond to Jgbackes who lives 20 minutes drive away from my residence. If I can try his Segway and understand my challenges, then I can examine my options. Certainly the Lithium Ion batteries maybe an issue as Boeing is having trouble with this type of battery in one of their planes causing fire. We do not want this to happen and be on the plane. Not a good recipe for travel.

The characteristics that will work for me are light weight, compactness, and the travel distance on a single charge. Also I must be able to operate any controls with my left hand. Some of the walking tours require you to walk 3.5 miles on different terrains including cobblestones. Lastly, is my budget.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
mjkwee

5 yr Member

Hi Tritium,

Thanks for the tip on the ambidextrous capability of the 2nd gen. I assume the PT-133 maybe a right hand control?

I've seen a PT-133 model that got sold for under $1,000. I wonder what a used 2nd gen is going for?

Thanks again.
Michael
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Hello,

All Gen.1 Segways are left hand control unless the handlebars have been modified. I have spoken to many customers that are using Segways as a medical device. I have heard valid arguments for why to use a Gen.1 and also for the Gen.2. I think it is purely a decision that has to be made by trying each unit as each persons medical conditions/limitations will vary.

On a side note you may also wish to consider a lean seat from Segvator http://www.segvator.com/Joomla/index...d=17&Itemid=38. Just a suggestion as we are not affiliated and do not sell their product. There are also many other accessories/options available.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Hi Lily,

Thanks for the advice and recommendation. I attempted to respond to Jgbackes who lives 20 minutes drive away from my residence. If I can try his Segway and understand my challenges, then I can examine my options. Certainly the Lithium Ion batteries maybe an issue as Boeing is having trouble with this type of battery in one of their planes causing fire. We do not want this to happen and be on the plane. Not a good recipe for travel.

The characteristics that will work for me are light weight, compactness, and the travel distance on a single charge. Also I must be able to operate any controls with my left hand. Some of the walking tours require you to walk 3.5 miles on different terrains including cobblestones. Lastly, is my budget.

Thanks,
Michael
Quote:
Hi Tritium,

Thanks for the tip on the ambidextrous capability of the 2nd gen. I assume the PT-133 maybe a right hand control?

I've seen a PT-133 model that got sold for under $1,000. I wonder what a used 2nd gen is going for?

Thanks again.
Michael
The battery issues on the Boeing were Lithium batteries, that is true, but a different chemical base, and the overheat issues are simply not an issue with segway batteries. They do not understand this however in FAA regulations, so all batteries that use Lithium are banned from airliners. (for the time being)

That leaves you with the gen 1 machines, as all gen 2 require Lithium batteries.

The handlebar of the P133 is the same as all the other gen 1 handlebars, so they all steer with the left hand, unless aftermarket modified.

Good luck.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Hi Tritium,

Thanks again.
Michael
The P-133 may not be your cup of tea, as the i180/170/167 are just a wee bit bigger but have interchangeable chemistry for the batteries ( think shipping the Li-On and airplaning the nimh!)
And a much longer range capability.

If you looked hard enough, you could find a used gen 2 for around $3500 or a bit more.
Gen 1s usually go for around $2000!

It's in my most honest opinion that you should go with a gen 2, because not only are the parts and machines still made, but they also have many advantages.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote