SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
mgalliani

Default Whats going on here?

Has there always been this much censorship on SegwayChat? Maybe I just haven't noticed it before but it seems like threads and posts have been locked or deleted more often lately. I know SegwayChat does not offer "Freedom of speech" but it is my opinion that it should. If you don't like a thread you are not forced to read it. SegwayChat seems to be determining that for me.
Florin, JohnG please let us speak. You don't have to listen.
I don't want to be kicked out of this group or have my posts deleted. I like it here but I'm not much for for censorship. A very wise man once said "With great power comes great responsibility" SegwayChat Admin please let us speak our minds even if you don't agree.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

In general, I agree. I was going to respond (on-topic) to the "social medium" thread this morning, and found it had been locked. I think that was a bit over-reactive. I've seen far worse behaviour, both on this forum and others, without immediate topic lock-down.

Perhaps a 2-stage warning policy:

1. Warning
2. Lock, if no improvement, or ban any egregiously offensive member.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Nothing out of the ordinary here, so I'm not sure what you're noticing since there's been little moderator activity outside of the usual moving of threads to the appropriate forums (like this one), stopping spammers from registering, removing ad hominen members' posts who are attacking one another and not sticking to the original topic, etc.

Freedom of speech is guaranteed in regards to your government, not a private website like this. You can have all the freedom of speech you want, as long as you stick to our terms of service.

Seriously, we ask so little. Be civil to one another and don't denigrate every discussion into an opportunity to attack other members. Yet some long-time members continue to have problems following this very simple rule.

If you think it's fun doing this, think again. If everyone acted respectfully toward one another, we'd practically be out of a job.

John
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

We've tried warnings in the past. All it gets us is --

1. More work on our part, sending multiple PMs out, responding to multiple PMs, back and forth, another hour gone from our day

2. Little change in behavior, because everyone always accuses us of choosing sides, not being fair, etc. etc.

Nothing changes here, and nothing probably ever will as long as some members continue to view the world from a perspective that only their opinion matters...

John
Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

There was no reason to lock that thread over any other thread currently open. It was a knee jerk reaction by florin who seems would rather click a button and then walk away rather than engage the members in a dialog. In the past when one member would stir the pot, he/she would be moderated. Now it seems the trend is to lock threads even when valuable discussion is taking place, at the loss of everyone, not just the bad apples.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder

Blame your fellow members responsible for taking it down that road, not us. When members start attacking each other in a thread, that's a sure sign it'll be locked.

Restraint and respect are beautiful things. Even middle-aged people can learn them. Perhaps even some members here can learn them as well.

John
Old 11-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
mgalliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post

Freedom of speech is guaranteed in regards to your government, not a private website like this. You can have all the freedom of speech you want, as long as you stick to our terms of service.

John
Or at least Florins interpretation of the terms of service.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder

See? There's another personal attack. Thanks for proving the point.

Of course the moderators are the ones who are going to interpret the terms of service; who else would you expect to do that?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
aricisom
aricisom is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

This thread seems like it needs to be locked... based on your standards....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aric Isom

How-To - What-For - Why-So-Funny

Please visit:
aricisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder

I was thinking the exact same thing... but I'm a little more tolerant if I think it has the inkling of a tiny chance of a snowball in hell in making the point.