SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
MattinPittsburgh
MattinPittsburgh is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Help starting a program.

Hello all, My name is Matt, I live in Pittsburgh and for 12 years I've volunteered with a local therapeutic horseback riding program for handicapped kids. Recently I saw an ad for segs4vets and it got my mind turning.

I would like to start a program similar to the riding for the handicapped program with the eventual goal of getting the participants their own segways (like segs4vets)

Since this program could share the facilities, physical therapists, volunteers, and directors of the riding program all that would initially be needed is a few segways.

While the therapeutic riding program is open to kids between 5-18 the segway program will have to be more restricted for safety. My brother runs the independent rider class and a screening program will be developed based on that model.

The capabilities of that machine are amazing. Kids are supposed to run around and play and with this machine they can go so many places that even a good wheelchair can't.

Some of my questions for you guys are?

Is anyone running a program like this that I can talk to?

What kind of size restrictions does the machine have?

Are there any grants available?

Does the segway company offer a discount for such a situation?

Although it's classified as a wheelchair, have any of you had difficulty from the insurance company in getting them for mobility use?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions and if you guys have any for me fire away. I might not have all the answers as right now I'm trying to establish what the end result of the program will be and there's many questions un-answered at the moment.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. Hopefully the end result of all this will be happy, smiling kids.

~Matt
MattinPittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Is anyone running a program like this that I can talk to? I've never heard of one. You might contact a Shriner's Hospital Physical Therapy Section.

What kind of size restrictions does the machine have? Generally the glider must be over 100 pounds and less than 250.

Are there any grants available? I've not heard of any

Does the segway company offer a discount for such a situation? No

Although it's classified as a wheelchair, have any of you had difficulty from the insurance company in getting them for mobility use? I've never heard of a Segway being officially classified as a wheelchair. Insurance, Medicare, and the VA do not cover the supply of a Segway. Segway sold off their disability use rights to Johnson & Johnson. For this reason (and others I suppose) upon hearing "disability device" all Segway personnel are trained to run for cover.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

What kind of size restrictions does the machine have? Generally the glider must be over 100 pounds and less than 250.

As I understand it, the 100 pounds is a matter of enough weight to activate the sensors under the floor mat. The second--and a significantly related factor -- would be a matter of age and responsibility.

Under very carefully supervised conditions and carefully chosen participants, you might get around the weight condition with the "bricks in a backpack" concept.

I think it is a great idea--but not one to be entered without a lot of thought, especially in the matter of liability... Certainly one does not have to be 16 and/or weigh 100 pounds to be able to use a Segway. My inclination would be to train parents to use them safely first...

Hmmmm... Would perhaps a Segway with a seat such as the SegSaddle be a viable option to meet that kind of needs?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Just to be clear the Segway is not classified as a "common wheelchair". It's protections fall under the category of "other mobility device".

I would not expect any medical insurance to cover it.
Also keep in mind liability and the like.

Check this page for more info:
http://www.draft.org/EducationAdvoca...5/Default.aspx

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

My understanding of the 100 pound minimum weight is a factor of control, not the sensors. (The sensors will depress with just a few pounds pressure)

The machine weighs about 100 pounds, and the rider must be able to use their weight to move or stop the machine. If you weigh too little, you will simply follow the mass of the machine, rather than have it follow the mass of your body.

I have had people under 100 pounds on my machines often, but they have to move far more to control the machine than I. At 200 plus pounds, if I have my feet set, and just lean my upper body fore or aft, the machine responds.

When my son was on the machine, I had him place one foot forward of the other, so he could shift more weight onto his forward foot to go forward, and to the rearward foot to slow down or reverse.

It is all pretty manageable, but the less you weigh, the harder you have to work. When I had a smaller person on the machine, they had to shuffle forward to make it go, and shuffle rearward to make it stop. That was a very short demo...

One advantage to a horse over a segway, is that if you tell it to walk into a wall, it will most likely stop. A segway will not. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

All that said, I believe this is a laudable effort, and I wish you success.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote