SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Bluespook
Bluespook is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Newbe Question re Segway & Mobility Issues

Hey Folks,
My son has for several years worked on his own trying to solve mobility problems for people in our community. He has a store that sells, rents and repairs scooters, power chairs, stair lift etc. We were talking the other day and he said he had a customer with, I think it wa MS, who could stand but not walk far and that he was thinking about checking into a Segway for her. She thought it sounded very interesting. Anyway he contacted Segway and they said they didn't sell "medical devices". What's the issue here? My search brought me to this great site.

From what I've read here it seems that stores and the like have refused to let disabled ride a Segway on their premises and that the ADA rules are changing to perhaps improve that situation. Damn politicians and regulators never ever get it!

Any ideas why Segway doesn't want to advertise this valuable use.

Thanks for you comments and thoughts.

Blue
Bluespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespook View Post
Hey Folks,
My son has for several years worked on his own trying to solve mobility problems for people in our community. He has a store that sells, rents and repairs scooters, power chairs, stair lift etc. We were talking the other day and he said he had a customer with, I think it wa MS, who could stand but not walk far and that he was thinking about checking into a Segway for her. She thought it sounded very interesting. Anyway he contacted Segway and they said they didn't sell "medical devices". What's the issue here? My search brought me to this great site.

From what I've read here it seems that stores and the like have refused to let disabled ride a Segway on their premises and that the ADA rules are changing to perhaps improve that situation. Damn politicians and regulators never ever get it!

Blue
What I understood from the talk that Dean Kamen gave at SegwayFesT 2006 (in long beach) is that they can't call it a medical device because then they need to have done a lot of expensive tests/paperwork/etc. which would make the expensive far more expensive than it already is.

It might also have to do with liability stuff.

For somebody having MS, I guess a 1st generation Segway would work the best. It gives the user a bit more stability, in contrary to a 2nd generation segway where the user have to lean to steer.

I did some digging into the photos collection from Amin, he took a lot of Pictures at MAMS 2007. Check out the 3 photos from a MS Patient, he drove on a I180 and the XT, at the end he almost didn't want to give up the segway again, because finally after all those years he was mobile again without support from somebody else.

Since pictures say more then 1000 words, check them out here: http://picasaweb.google.com/segwayin...eat=directlink

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Hey Folks,

Blue
There is simply no substitute for having a person actually try it out with time enough to feel comfortable with it. I've never used a Gen I and balance is not my problem so I can't compare. But since the Seg can turn with the touch of a fingertip, I really don't know how much a problem the leaning would be. and everyone is different...

As for stores, that depends. Walmart employees have never even blinked when I ride in. I practiced in the parking lot <G> until I was confident I could maneuver one of their carts ahead of me...and believe me the Segway is easier to maneuver than the carts! KMart has a sign in the front of the store that if you are disabled you can stop and get a hand held radio to call for assistance with a product if you need it. Target's record is a bit spotty, but just call or email their Customer Service Department and the matter will be dealt with.

Malls are another story--our Simon mall requires even hand wheelchair users to register... I've been stopped every time at another big mall but they call in and there is no problem. Local stores will vary but are often easier to deal with and if you find a spot where a wheelchair can't get thru, just bring that to their attention... <G>

Sadly, I've had the most problem with a state government agency. It does happen, but not all the time, and it will continue to happen unless someone is willing to fight. I can't believe I'm saying that, but that it where I'm at at this point. Your son will be doing a great service to his community to find a nearby dealer or one of the fine people on this list and add Segway awareness to his services...

Lily
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
cms1001
cms1001 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I have MS & I use a Gen1 segway

I use mine everyday. Dean Kamen also developed a medical device that's pretty pricey & I believe that's caused some restrictions on how we refer to a segway. When I travel/fly I rent one, the gen2's work OK but I prefer the gen1(beats the hell out of just a cane or crutches)Try it, if it works for you throw a hcp decal on it & go for it, but keep some documentation handy about your medical status. You will be challenged occasionally.
cms1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
msfireboy
msfireboy

5 yr Member
Default MS and Segways

I too have MS and have been using a Segway for the past 5 years...Life and breath - there is no comparison to any other device if you are able to stand.
For all that time I have used a Gen1. The idea of using a Gen2 is not very attractive as on occasion I do brace myself using the control shaft to a limited degree.
msfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
hb_branko
hb_branko is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default tetraparesa & Segway

I have teraparesa. I use Segway (GEN1) every day from home to company and all trips in city.
In last 4 years I have some falls by my mistake.
I bought some Segways for reserve.
If need to choose between car and Segway, my favor is Segway.
I Would never replaced my Segway for any car in the world.
Branko
hb_branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
bob@redrosesegtours
bob@redrosesegtours is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Stop in for a chat

Quote:
Hey Folks,

Blue
Blue,

Segway Inc doesn't promote Segway PT's as a medical device because they haven't been approved as such by the FDA. And they prohibit dealers and agents from promoting them as medical devices.

Segway PT's are ADA compliant. You can read more about it at DRAFT.org - especially in the education and advocacy section.

All of that said, we've had a number of people with mobility issues successfully do our tours. We gladly let ANYONE of the appropriate age and weight try a Segway PT in our shop at no cost. And since we're right down the road from you in Lancaster, PA, you might want to give us a buzz or stop in for a chat.

Glide on!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
ktrends
ktrends is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Segway inc hasn't/can't market the segway towards the disabled because they sold of all the medical patents to Johnson & Johnson for the now discontinued ibot wheelchair that uses the segway technology.
ktrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrends View Post
Segway inc hasn't/can't market the segway towards the disabled because they sold of all the medical patents to Johnson & Johnson for the now discontinued ibot wheelchair that uses the segway technology.
Correct answer !

Dean had/has a deal with J&J/Independence Tech. That restricts promoting the Segway as a mobility device. As expected the Ibot went bust. J&J is good at Band-Aids but has a terrible record in the wheelchair business . Not to mention a price that was just impossible.

The last thing we want to see is a FDA approved Segway. That would end up driving the cost way up.

Although Dean always kept his distance from the mobility issue, and I can understand that to a point, the currant owners led by Jimi , may he rest in peace, have been very generous to our Segs4Vets program.

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Wink

I have MS and have used an I2 now since June. It goes everywhere with me. I have experienced absolutely NO issues with using it anywhere, not one. I have the Segsaddle as I can't stand for long and a small handicap placard on it from the Segcessary store. I just did that on my own, with no input from my doctor.

I have been to sporting events, museums, zoos, state and national parks, countless stores and malls, you name it..and nobody has ever challenged me. The only thing to expect is that people will want to ask you about it as they are curious. But in my experience, people have been nothing but totally supportive without exception.

If it helps you to get around, I would totally go for it. Just be prepaired to have friendly and nice people want to talk to you.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote