SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Posting Private Messages

Terms of Service or Privacy Issue?

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showpos...96&postcount=7

· Post or transmit private messages sent to you by another member, in email, or by a moderator or administrator without their express permission.
· Post or transmit any information, software or other material which violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material which is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights or which is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first obtaining permission from the owner or right holder.

The above post references an older version on the ToS. I couldn't find this in the latest version posted on the site.

I thought posting a "private message" was not allowed without the permission of the author/sender. Is this still the case?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

It was implied in the current TOS about invading other people's privacy, but has now been made explicit. You should not publicly share PMs or emails sent to you without the sender's explicit permission to do so.

John
Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

Thank you John.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
DarthSegVator

For those interested, the Terms of Service section that applies:

Section 8.1

(v) any information, software or other material which violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material which is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights (posting a private message or email, for instance) or which is protected by copyright, trademark, non-disclosure agreements, or other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first obtaining permission from the owner or right holder;
Old 03-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default replies/forwarding to include a wider audience may be grounds for banning from SC

Based on what I read below, quoting someone's post (as I have done) is acceptable. However what about the following scenarios focusing on the "transmit" (not the "post") part of the below policy:

1) I have a list of people I send email to for a community glide in my local area. I accidentally leave someone off the list as send out a message to all of them using SC when I set up a glide. Unfortunately, anyone on the list noticing my ommission risks banning by forwarding my message to this overlooked person.

2) A dealer sends me a great quote for a pair of Li-Ion batteries. It's a bit too high for me, but I know a fellow glider in the dealer's area would happily jump at that deal. Unfortunately, I can't conveniently forward the message to my fellow glider to facilitate them setting up a deal.

3) Someone sends me an abusive or offensive message. Unfortunately, I cannot forward this message to the moderator as evidence for taking action to stop this activity.

I am not questioning how the site is run...this would be a bannable act on my part. I am helping clarify the policy by bringing up scenarios that might be misinterpretted as "acceptable" by the community yet a moderator could rightfully start banning people over. Also, I'm making sure that scenarios be considered in advance, so that policy doesn't result in unintended consequences.

ps - I do understand that moderators use their judgement (especially in the last case), but just that alone invites a subjective interpretation of any scenario and potentially arbitrariness or selective enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
Terms of Service or Privacy Issue?

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showpos...96&postcount=7

· Post or transmit private messages sent to you by another member, in email, or by a moderator or administrator without their express permission.
· Post or transmit any information, software or other material which violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material which is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights or which is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first obtaining permission from the owner or right holder.

The above post references an older version on the ToS. I couldn't find this in the latest version posted on the site.

I thought posting a "private message" was not allowed without the permission of the author/sender. Is this still the case?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Well said, polo pro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I think common sense is in order here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_pro View Post
1) I have a list of people I send email to for a community glide in my local area. I accidentally leave someone off the list as send out a message to all of them using SC when I set up a glide. Unfortunately, anyone on the list noticing my ommission risks banning by forwarding my message to this overlooked person.
How is your privacy being infringed in this case? An email to a group of people gets sent on to one further person. So what? Unless, your email is clearly intended for private eyes only, I would suggest no one would be banned for this. If the email was to be posted on here, then it would be polite for the poster to seek your permission, if they thought it was needed. Be clear in your communications. If you do not want your message to be forwarded on, include a disclaimer of sorts. Otherwise, people may think it is acceptable to forward on.

Quote:
2) A dealer sends me a great quote for a pair of Li-Ion batteries. It's a bit too high for me, but I know a fellow glider in the dealer's area would happily jump at that deal. Unfortunately, I can't conveniently forward the message to my fellow glider to facilitate them setting up a deal.
Of course you can, unless your dealer explicity states you should not. And if the quote comes in via email from this site - you are not likely to forward it on via email on this site, you will most likely forward it on using your email client which is outside of the terms of this site anyway.

Quote:
3) Someone sends me an abusive or offensive message. Unfortunately, I cannot forward this message to the moderator as evidence for taking action to stop this activity.
In the words of a John Mcenroe, "you cannot be serious" Of course you can. That sounds like a reasonable step and no reasonable moderator would have an issue with it - but, I'm pretty sure a super moderator could read anything posted on SC anyway, so they could (but would not I guess), read it in your inbox if you so instructed them.

Mods don't ban people willy nilly as far as I know. You have to be up to something for some contact from them.

In summary, the mods have discretion and should use it reasonably. The rules are not always black and white.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
russ498
russ498 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

You people really need to find something constructive to do with your time. I fall on the sword. I DID it. I made it right with the person I offended and publicly apologized. It wasn't even a violation of the TOS when I did it, except by some long stretch, convoluted interpretation of the old TOS. They have since been changed. How much of your life are you going to waste??? To quote my mother, go out and play, it's nice outside.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

russ 498: You have a PM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default It's not all about you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ498 View Post
You people really need to find something constructive to do with your time. I fall on the sword. I DID it. I made it right with the person I offended and publicly apologized. It wasn't even a violation of the TOS when I did it, except by some long stretch, convoluted interpretation of the old TOS. They have since been changed. How much of your life are you going to waste??? To quote my mother, go out and play, it's nice outside.
Hi Russ498 - if you hang around here long enough you'll realise that some of us are interested in talking about the strangest of things. It always makes me smile when someone takes the time to comment on other people taking the time to waste their lives. Kindof ironic... anyway, have a nice day. I hope it is nice outside where you are. It's cold, wet, dark and windy outside here at the moment.
Closed Thread