SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:38 AM   #1
monkeywrench
monkeywrench

5 yr Member
Default segway for paraplegics

while segway is not being promoted as a medical device has anyone that has been paralyzed tried using one? I know that J&J has a wheelchair they are working on its taking forever. being in a wheelchair sucks, looking up at everyone sucks. relying on someone else to get me up and walking sucks.
I would like to make/modify a segway to allow someone the ability to stand, cruise, and eventually actually walk, even if I look like a terminator, the technology is here we should use it.
|)wrench
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 01:42 AM   #2
Neelix
Neelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Err, monkey, the wheelchair you reference would esentially free you from most of the disadvantages that you mention. Watch this:

http://www.dynopower.freeserve.co.uk...ovies/Ibot.mpg

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Neelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 02:22 AM   #3
monkeywrench
monkeywrench

5 yr Member

I agree that the ibot chair is cool. its not out yet.
and can you imagine tring to get that into your car?
your still sitting down, your just a little better off than an electric chair.
yes you can go up and down stairs...very cool. You can't do that with a segway. you can go across a bunch of logs...I have to admit that happens almost every day. going through sand thats cool...I would trade that in to be standing instead. Standing has an enormous effect on your organs, muscles, and your state of mind. Get me standing, then rolling, then walking, then maybe stem cell research will kick in. Bottom line the ibot is cool, but its not here. and it will be expensive...very expensive. the iglide manual wheelchair is $8,000 and insurance wont touch it. if the iglide is 8,000 how much do you think the ibot will cost? I think its time to be creative break out the monkeywrench and do some tinkering. The segway is 5,000 and with some modifications I believe that a t7-l2 could ride this thing.

the wheelchair does not free me from the disadvantages... it is movement in the right direction...but we need a step in the right direction

I am coming across bitter and angry...not to lash out at you neelix just the system and lack there of.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Hello monkeywrench,
I've posted several times in the other forum and I apologize for not checking this particular forum more frequently. In 1998 I suffered a C-4 spinal cord injury which left me paralyzed from the neck down. I now stand, but still use a wheelchair as my primary means of mobility. I started using my HT in March and it's obviously changed my life. Everything that you say about the benefits of standing are completely accurate. Also everything that you say about the IBOT and the Iglide are accurate as well. Before the HT there was little or no incentive for those with spinal cord injuries who could stand, to stand. There was absolutely no means of mobility that one could use that didn't require one to sit. I remember when I was in the hospital one of the other spinal cord patients, whose name was George, could stand but it required so much effort and energy that he would rarely make the attempt. When I spoke with him one day about it to try and encourage him his response was, "why, I mean I can't walk, why on earth would I expend all that energy just to stand." I don't know what happened to George, but if the HT had been available then I'm sure things would have turned out much better for him. If you can stand I think that you can use the HT, if you can't stand then this is a reason to explore every possible avenue and therapy which might allow you to stand in the future. There are a lot of new things out there, particularly those which are activity based which are accomplishing a great deal in terms of getting people up out of their wheelchairs and actually standing. Walking of course it is a completely different subject, but I know you are aware of this.

Good luck, please feel free to e-mail me anytime.
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:54 PM   #5
ChinaMan
ChinaMan

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by monkeywrench

I agree that the ibot chair is cool. its not out yet.
and can you imagine tring to get that into your car?
your still sitting down, your just a little better off than an electric chair.
yes you can go up and down stairs...very cool. You can't do that with a segway. you can go across a bunch of logs...I have to admit that happens almost every day. going through sand thats cool...I would trade that in to be standing instead. Standing has an enormous effect on your organs, muscles, and your state of mind. Get me standing, then rolling, then walking, then maybe stem cell research will kick in. Bottom line the ibot is cool, but its not here. and it will be expensive...very expensive. the iglide manual wheelchair is $8,000 and insurance wont touch it. if the iglide is 8,000 how much do you think the ibot will cost? I think its time to be creative break out the monkeywrench and do some tinkering. The segway is 5,000 and with some modifications I believe that a t7-l2 could ride this thing.

the wheelchair does not free me from the disadvantages... it is movement in the right direction...but we need a step in the right direction

I am coming across bitter and angry...not to lash out at you neelix just the system and lack there of.
You took the words right out of my mouth...and NO you don't come across bitter and angry. You come across like an advocate!
ChinaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:50 PM   #6
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

ChinaMan,

thanks for posting, it gets a little lonely over here in this new forum.

QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
Dog-Bone
Dog-Bone

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by QuadSquad

ChinaMan,

thanks for posting, it gets a little lonely over here in this new forum.

I'm always there for you Quad.
Dog-Bone
Dog-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 04:41 AM   #8
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

It has been mentioned elsewhere as well, but of course the iBOT was approved by the FDA today. Check out www.indetech.com for more info.

Also, apparently they may already be for sale in Australia!

Does anyone know what the battery life is like on an iBOT?

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #9
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SegwayUtah
Does anyone know what the battery life is like on an iBOT?
Wow, that's a difficult question. I've heard the battery capacity is between 6 and 7 Amp hours, so the capacity is near twice that of a segway. The actual range will depend very heavily on what it needs to do because the various functions will draw very different amounts of power, 4 wheel and stair will draw considerably more power than standard and balance.

--
swiftly flying
citivolus is offline   Reply With Quote