SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #11
MikeCap
MikeCap is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default Is the 2020 E8 any better?

Ok, it is 1 year since the last post on this topic. I see EchoRider has claimed significant improvements to the 2020 E8-2 model. Antony try the updated model?

Thank you
MikeCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #12
rmitxe
rmitxe is on a distinguished road

Default Ditto! - someone share recent experiences please...

Now Segway has discontinued the commercial products i2, X2, X2 Patroller...
So more now than ever it'd be very interesting if the Ecorider E8 or E8-2 (afaik the only difference was 2 battery packs instead of one?) have improved the steering/balance algorithms...

Also I found a company in the UK that seems to claim they take the Ecorider and "improve it", mainly the gyro board. (and then multiply the price by two). They also do conversions of the Segway X2 to jailbreak it from Segway's ecosystem.
(segwayecorider)

Anyone can share recent experiences with Ecorider E8 ?
rmitxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #13
MikeCap

3 yr Member
Cool

So I did buy 2 E8's. Here is my experience.

The good
I think in general they are well built.
They are a good looking machine.
They ballance well using a solid state gyro.
Sales team is very responsive.

The bad
The software has a lot to to be desired. My son nailed it best. That are like a bicycle quick response and no protection. Here is a list of suggestions I sent to Ecorider. Unfortunately after I sent this, Ecorider stopped all communication with me. Being a software developer I offered to test any updates and even work with them. If I could figure out how to get into the code I would try to make the changes myself.

(1) We believe that for safety reasons if 1 foot is taken off the sensor pads after a 1 second delay all steering should be disabled and if the E8 is in a forward momentum it should safely slow down and then stop. If the E8 is moving backwards it should stop immediately. This would reduce the chance of anyone having their foot caught causing an injury (which happened to me). In a panic situation you tend to grab the LeanSteer for stability which causes the E8 to turn.

(2) At high speeds the E8 steering is very sensitive. If someone turns too quickly it could cause a spill. We believe that as the speed increases the turning sensitivity should be dampened down, response time to steering should be proportionately slower as speed increases. This will give the E8 a sense of being stable and the rider experience will increase. It can be very scary riding at high speed, you have to be constantly aware and in combination with #3 I feels like you could easily wipe out.

(3) While the E8 is going over rough terrain if one wheel encounters an obstacle the other keeps going even if the LeanSteer is straight up. This causes the E8 to turn unexpectedly. We found that we could compensate for this by moving the stick away from the obstacle causing that wheel to have more power. We think that the E8 should do some of this work for you. It should recognize that one wheel is not turning at the correct speed based on the LeanSteer and then apply appropriate power to that wheel attempting to keep the E8 heading in the direction the rider intended.

(4) If the rider steps off both sensor pads, and if the E8 is in motion, it should stop immediately and steering disabled but the gyroscope should continue to run for a few minutes so that the E8 does not fall over. A rider would step off with both feet while in motion only if they felt they had to in a panic situation.

(5) While breaking in a straight line the E8 stops perfectly. While breaking turning slightly the inside wheel slows down hard but the outside wheel moves forward quickly turning the E8 quickly and unexpectedly in the direction of the turn. Breaking while turning should apply appropriate braking force to both wheels to maintain the current turning radius and not cause a sharp turn. This behavior startles the rider and can throw them from the scooter. This could be related to #3 where by the software is not maintaining a consistent wheel rotation based on the LeanSteer.

The E8 is a paradox, could be fun if you are skilled enough, and dangerous if not.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #14
rmitxe
rmitxe is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=MikeCap;248122]So I did buy 2 E8's. Here is my experience.

Thanks Mike for such a good review. They'd be dumb not to take your suggestions to heart, but if they stopped communication with you, they might be. Or maybe they're working on all those suggestions but don't want to risk having to pay royalties to you

I wonder if the "western reworked" Ecoriders (Roboscooters in the US and Greentouch in the UK) are really reworked or just relabeled with some touch-ups.
If any of those run their own software, they might be safer. Will try to get some answers from them...
rmitxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #15
MikeCap

3 yr Member

Thx rmitxe,

Hope you find something out. If you do please post here.

In the meantime I am exploring adding a seat, LOL, warranty will be voided. Probably won't mess with them until winter when I take them off the trail. I am also going to continue to explore possibly hacking the control board myself, I don't have much faith in that endeavor, but I'll try. Would be easier if Ecorider would just talk with me.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #16
MikeCap

3 yr Member
Thumbs up Added seat to e8

I had a local fabricator make two brackets. I mounted a nanobot scooter seat to the bracket and then mounted the bracket to the base plate of the e8. I've only done limited testing so far but I am pleased with the results. I did not sit on the seat but instead straddled it between my thighs. I was able to make very quick jerky movements with e8 and my body stayed with it. I had no sense of falling off. If anyone is interested in how I did this I can supply details.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #17
MikeCap

3 yr Member
Default Ecorider E8 Added Seat Photos.

After more testing I have decided this was a great add on to the Ecorider E8. It offers a secure feeling and stability during quick turns. Your feet stay planted and your whole body moves with the E8. Here are some pictures of the brackets and the final product.20220405_113044 - Copy.jpg
20220406_130610 (1) - Copy.jpg

Tags
e8, ecorider