SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default ADA and SEGs --long excerpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolacoy View Post
I read and searched thru some of this, but there is a couple of hundred pages. It looks like the health care bill. Sorry I am not a lawyer, it's just to long and too complicated for me to understand or even find an area that is specific to the use of a Segway. Maybe there will be a booklet published that covers Segways.
I don't have the title III info collected--and I don't know which applies in this case (governent agency or public accomodation) but the rules are similar. As for understanding this, who knows how it is going to be understood and applied!

Anyway, here are some relevant sections for Title II (government agencies.) I have added emphasis in several spots...

Authority: 5 U.S.C. 301; 28 U.S.C. 509, 510; 42 U.S.C. 12134.§ 35.101
Subpart A -- General
§35.101 Purpose.
The purpose of this part is to effectuate subtitle A of title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability by public entities.

§ 35.102 Application.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, this part applies to all services, programs, and activities provided or made available by public entities.

§ 35.104 Definitions.
For purposes of this part, the term --

Direct threat means a significant risk to the health or safety of others that cannot be eliminated by a modification of policies, practices or procedures, or by the provision of auxiliary aids or services as provided in § 35.139.

Other power-driven mobility device means any mobility device powered by batteries, fuel, or other engines––whether or not designed primarily for use by individuals with mobility disabilities––that is used by individuals with mobility disabilities for the purpose of locomotion, including golf cars, electronic personal assistance mobility devices (EPAMDs), such as the Segway® PT, or any mobility device designed to operate in areas without defined pedestrian routes, but that is not a wheelchair within the meaning of this section. This definition does not apply to Federal wilderness areas; wheelchairs in such areas are defined in section 508(c)(2) of the ADA, 42 U.S.C. 12207(c)(2).

Wheelchair means a manually-operated or power-driven device designed primarily for use by an individual with a mobility disability for the main purpose of indoor, or of both indoor and outdoor locomotion. This definition does not apply to Federal wilderness areas; wheelchairs in such areas are defined in section 508(c)(2) of the ADA, 42 U.S.C. 12207 (c)(2).

Subpart B -- General Requirements
§ 35.130 General prohibitions against discrimination
(a) No qualified individual with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any public entity.
(b)(1) A public entity, in providing any aid, benefit, or service, may not, directly or through contractual, licensing, or other arrangements, on the basis of disability -
(iv) Provide different or separate aids, benefits, or services to individuals with disabilities or to any class of individuals with disabilities than is provided to others unless such action is necessary to provide qualified individuals with disabilities with aids, benefits, or services that are as effective as those provided to others
(vii) Otherwise limit a qualified individual with a disability in the enjoyment of any right, privilege, advantage, or opportunity enjoyed by others receiving the aid, benefit, or service

3) A public entity may not, directly or through contractual or other arrangements, utilize criteria or methods of administration:
(i) That have the effect of subjecting qualified individuals with disabilities to discrimination on the basis of disability;
(d) A public entity shall administer services, programs, and activities in the most integrated setting appropriate to the needs of qualified individuals with disabilities.

(h) A public entity may impose legitimate safety requirements necessary for the safe operation of its services, programs, or activities. However, the public entity must ensure that its safety requirements are based on actual risks, not on mere speculation, stereotypes, or generalizations about individuals with disabilities.

§ 35.137 Mobility devices
(a) Use of wheelchairs and manually-powered mobility aids. A public entity shall permit individuals with mobility disabilities to use wheelchairs and manually-powered mobility aids, such as walkers, crutches, canes, braces, or other similar devices designed for use by individuals with mobility disabilities in any areas open to pedestrian use.

(b) (1) Use of other power-driven mobility devices. A public entity shall make reasonable modifications in its policies, practices, or procedures to permit the use of other power-driven mobility devices by individuals with mobility disabilities, unless the public entity can demonstrate that the class of other power-driven mobility devices cannot be operated in accordance with legitimate safety requirements that the public entity has adopted pursuant to § 35.130(h).

(2) Assessment factors. In determining whether a particular other power-driven mobility device can be allowed in a specific facility as a reasonable modification under paragraph (b)(1) of this section, a public entity shall consider:
(i) The type, size, weight, dimensions, and speed of the device;
(ii) The facility's volume of pedestrian traffic (which may vary at different times of the day, week, month, or year);
(iii) The facility's design and operational characteristics (e.g., whether its service, program, or activity is conducted indoors, its square footage, the density and placement of stationary devices, and the availability of storage for the device, if requested by the user);
(iv) Whether legitimate safety requirements can be established to permit the safe operation of the other power-driven mobility device in the specific facility; and
(v) Whether the use of the other power-driven mobility device creates a substantial risk of serious harm to the immediate environment or natural or cultural resources, or poses a conflict with Federal land management laws and regulations.

(c)(1) Inquiry about disability. A public entity shall not ask an individual using a wheelchair or other power-driven mobility device questions about the nature and extent of the individual's disability.

(2) Inquiry into use of other power-driven mobility device. A public entity may ask a person using an other power-driven mobility device to provide a credible assurance that the mobility device is required because of the person's disability. A public entity that permits the use of an other power-driven mobility device by an individual with a mobility disability shall accept the presentation of a valid, State-issued, disability parking placard or card, or other State-issued proof of disability, as a credible assurance that the use of the other power-driven mobility device is for the individual's mobility disability. In lieu of a valid, State-issued disability parking placard or card, or State-issued proof of disability, a public entity shall accept as a credible assurance, a verbal representation, not contradicted by observable fact, that the other power-driven mobility device is being used for a mobility disability. A “valid” disability placard or card is one that is presented by the individual to whom it was issued and is otherwise in compliance with the State of issuance’s requirements for disability placards or cards.

§ 35.139 Direct threat
(a) This part does not require a public entity to permit an individual to participate in or benefit from the services, programs, or activities of that public entity when that individual poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.
(b) In determining whether an individual poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, a public entity must make an individualized assessment, based on reasonable judgment that relies on current medical knowledge or on the best available objective evidence, to ascertain: the nature, duration, and severity of the risk; the probability that the potential injury will actually occur; and whether reasonable modifications of policies, practices, or procedures or the provision of auxiliary aids or services will mitigate the risk.

§ 35.172 Resolution of complaints

(d) At any time, the complainant may file a private suit pursuant to section 203 of the Act, 42 U.S.C. 12133, whether or not the designated agency finds a violation.

§ 35.178 State immunity
A State shall not be immune under the eleventh amendment to the Constitution of the United States from an action in Federal or State court of competent jurisdiction for a violation of this Act. In any action against a State for a violation of the requirements of this Act, remedies (including remedies both at law and in equity) are available for such a violation to the same extent as such remedies are available for such a violation in an action against any public or private entity other than a State.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``````
http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/factshee...factsheet.html
http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/factshee...factsheet.html

SUMMARY OF CHANGES:
1. Wheelchairs and Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices. The rule adopts a two-tiered approach to mobility devices, drawing distinctions between wheelchairs and "other power-driven mobility devices." "Other power-driven mobility devices" include a range of devices not designed for individuals with mobility impairments, such as the Segway® PT, but which are often used by individuals with disabilities as their mobility device of choice. Wheelchairs (and other devices designed for use by people with mobility impairments) must be permitted in all areas open to pedestrian use. "Other power-driven mobility devices" must be permitted to be used unless the covered entity can demonstrate that such use would fundamentally alter its programs, services, or activities, create a direct threat, or create a safety hazard. The rule also lists factors to consider in making this determination. This approach accommodates both the legitimate business interests in the safe operation of a facility and the growing use of the Segway® PT as a mobility device by returning veterans and others who are using the Segway® PT as their mobility aid of choice.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Lily, you have done the research, thanks a lot. So do you think that if I went to this outdoor mall they would allow me to use the Segway? I know it's not a question that can be answered. But we do need to push the envelope, Nicely.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Lily, you have done the research, thanks a lot. So do you think that if I went to this outdoor mall they would allow me to use the Segway? I know it's not a question that can be answered. But we do need to push the envelope, Nicely.
Who knows! As has been said before, you have basically two options: ride and see what happens or ask first. Either way you might have to deal with someone who has no clue or has a power trip going... or you might be welcomed. I've had both happen....

Either way you need to be prepared with your relevant ADA documentation, the DRAFT phone number and, at the very least, your car handicap documentation.

And as you say, Be nice--until something much firmer than that is required! <G>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
Tx-Rider
Tx-Rider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Just ride through there.
If they tell you that you can't ride, then nicely leave.
If they don't ever say anything, then enjoy your ride.

Ps, stay away from squirrels...

Peace, Love, & Segways
Tx-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #15
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

Is the "relevant ADA documentation" what you put on this thread? I did not notice a Draft phone number, I will look back thru what you posted. And you think that I would have to carry the big card that goes in the car? I have printed some stickers that have my card number on them, I will stick them on the Leansteer bag.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #16
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Is the "relevant ADA documentation" what you put on this thread? I did not notice a Draft phone number, I will look back thru what you posted. And you think that I would have to carry the big card that goes in the car? I have printed some stickers that have my card number on them, I will stick them on the Leansteer bag.
The documentation I copied for you is the rules that go into effect on March 15. They are allowed to be using them now (since last September 23, I think it was.) So you can always argue that they might just as well get used to the new rules... <G>

There is a nice page on the DRAFT site you can print out to carry with you, along with a lot of other valuable information --and ask them to call Draft right then and there, if they are doubting you. <G>
http://www.draft.org/LinkClick.aspx?...bid=75&mid=494

I don't know your state's laws, but here in MO you are expected to carry a copy of the documentation that came with the handicap hang tag. ... which isn't to say that one couldn't photocopy it at a smaller scale. You might run into someone who insisted on the original, of course...
Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #17
Rolacoy

5 yr Member

Thank you very much. I have printed two copies, one for each of our Segways and will carry them with us.