SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default iPhone 1.1.1 unlocked.

The easy, one-click way to Jailbreak your iPhone and install custom apps finally came out today. "What is Jailbreaking?" you might ask. Well that simply means your phone is able to install a little application that lets you install other applications. I have installed it and it is awesome.

First, I'll start with a FAQ, pasted from the site, emphasising the important parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbreakme.com

1. Could this brick my iPhone/iPod touch?

No, worst case you will have to restore in iTunes.

2. Why do I have a blue question mark?
This means you already ran AppSnapp once. Since we patch the TIFF bug, you'll have to restore to run it again.

3. Can I do the SIM unlock my phone wih this?
AppSnapp does not unlock the phone. You will have to use anySIM to do so after you install AppSnapp.

4. My phone is still at the "Activate now" screen, why?
If your phone doesn't show up as activated after you run AppSnapp, please reboot your phone.

5. I'm an AT&T customer, do I need this since it activates?
AppSnapp is smart, if knows if you are an AT&T customer and doesn't try to activate if you already are activated.
The parts in orange refer to using the basic parts of the iPhone without needing to sign up with AT&T. This doesn't give you free service nor does it let you use iPhone with another provider. It only lets you use Safari, Youtube, Weather, etc on a wifi connection, as well as allow you access to contacts, and email. None of this is likely of interest to anyone on Segwaychat because we probably all have signed contracts with AT&T.

Now the skinny on how to install it. First, go to http://jailbreakme.com on your iPhone. It is recommended you use a WiFi connection for this. Once loaded there will be a button at the bottom to install. That's it.

This method takes advantage of an exploit in the way Safari handles TIFF image files (an exploit that this hack also happens to fix ). It opens a malformed TIFF file and begins the installation from there.

After you click the button, Safari crashes back to the home screen, where the installer is working behind the scenes. When it is finished, the phone will go straight to the "slide to unlock" screen. Slide to unlock, and you will find an extra icon on your screen, Installer.app

Installer.app connects to repositories and lists software available under that repository. You can download other repositories and connect to them for even more software. Right now My home screen has two pages. (you flip through them much like you flip through cities in Weather). The Dock where Phone, Mail, Safari, and iPod are on now looks like the dock from Leopard rather than the dashboard config from 10.4. I have a Labyrinth clone that actually uses the tilt sensor in the phone for input. How cool is that?! I'm working on installing the screenshot.app so I can show off my pimp new setup!

I know this isn't for everyone, but I know there are some developer-types among us and thought some of you would like to hear this news. I've been messing with it for quite a while so feel free to ask any questions here in the thread and I will answer them for you best I can.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Here's a screenshot of my iPhone as it looks now. See if you can spot all the changes. BTW, my phone is running version 1.1.1 of the firmware (the latest)

hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote