SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
drosen
drosen is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Absolute Newbie Needs Help Getting Started

Hello to all.
I recently obtained what I think is a 1st Gen i167 (including "keys"), that had been in the corner of a warehouse for some time. I am an absolute Newbie and completely clueless how to get started. It didn't come with a manual, and I'm sure the batteries are dead.

Can anyone please help me with any of the following:
1. I am attaching a couple of photos taken before washing off the Segway so it's filthy, but can someone confirm it is an i167?

2. I have no idea what to do with those colored keys - how do you change the battery in them, and is the handlebar LCD supposed to light up just by touching the round metal on the key to the handlebar receptacle?

3. I looked all over for a manual online and couldn't find one. A post on this forum said they are not available, but I don't know if that has changed.

4. I'd like to take the batteries off to inspect them. I see the 4 screws in the recessed holes, but I can't work them. One source says use a 3mm hex key, another source says use a T-15 Torx wrench. Neither worked for me. It looks to me like those screws are security type screws, with a little post in the middle of the head so you can't use a regular bit. Anybody know anything about that?

5. I'm sure the batteries are beyond dead from sitting so long. When plugged in to charge, one red light glows. Is there a way to direct-power the Segway so that I can at least see if the lcd screen on the handlebar works?

Many thanks to anyone who can give me a little push in the right direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (207.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Handlebar Key & LCD.jpg (181.1 KB, 15 views)
drosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
drosen
drosen is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Answering my own questions!
1. Yes, i167
2. Got info from dealer - no battery in colored keys
3. No service manual online because i167 no longer made or supported, and such manuals remain proprietary for dealers
4. T-15 Torx bit with long handle works fine.
5. From dealer - No. If charger is connected lcd will not be active, only works when batteries are working.

Sorry if I asked prematurely, I was anxious to get started working on the new toy.

(Moderator: Ok to close or delete this thread)
drosen is offline   Reply With Quote