SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default 9:14 pm: ‘Segway of the sky’: Air Buoyant developing single ... - Anderson Herald Bul

9:14 pm: ‘Segway of the sky’: Air Buoyant developing single ...
Anderson Herald Bulletin, IN - 56 minutes ago
“We call it the Segway of the sky. It has a rudder that steers it laterally, but you just lean in the direction you want to go.” If this sounds a bit like ...
9:13 pm: XADS developing the future of defense Anderson Herald Bulletin
all 2 news articles

More...
Old 11-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default be still my heart

OK, how many of us REALLY hoped, when "it" was being hyped, that it might be some sort of one-man levitation unit?

Pam
Old 11-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Umm... isn't this just the Hiller VZ-1 reborn? Granted, it's probably lighter and more agile due to modern components but the heavy lifting was done some time ago.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...hiller_vz1.htm
http://www.hiller.org/flying-platform.shtml
Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
Umm... isn't this just the Hiller VZ-1 reborn? Granted, it's probably lighter and more agile due to modern components but the heavy lifting was done some time ago.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...hiller_vz1.htm
http://www.hiller.org/flying-platform.shtml
As far as I can tell, back when the original Hiller concept was developed, the only way to keep the platform from spinning was counter rotating propellers. This makes the mechanical system rather complicated as compared to a single prop system.

The info is sketchy on the airbouyant.com site, but the photos seem to indicate a single prop. I make the assumption that there is some kind of spin control guidance built-in the control system to avoid the spinning problem.

So while the "new" appears very similar to the "old" on the surface, it's possible there are some changes "under the hood". The extra money spent on the electronic guidance system probably more than makes up for the headaches of making a counter-rotating system lightweight, safe an reliable.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Yeah, it does look like the Hiller reborn. Hmmm, Segway of the Skies, huh? It only seems likely he's seen a few of them up there in Anderson, Indiana. Thats real near Delco Remy that makes the control boards for the Segway in Muncie or in Anderson isn't it? It is Delco Remy? Or is it Delphi? Anyway I know alot of automobile electronics are made up there and thats where the Segway motherboards are made.

Anyway if he thinks its the Segway of the skies then maybe he should put some of Segways gyros and alogrithims in it to regulate balance controls. I personally would recommend a stiff, firm wire mess also above the blades and below their feet just in case there is a hard landing, their feet could slip off the small platform right into the spinning blades. I would also have a powerful instant unfolding canapy paraglider type parachute pop out and safely glide you down in case of engine failure. Another note. The only Segway likeness is only the lean to turn ability. It uses fuel and is not green either, to be more like a Segway it would have to be electric. I wonder if that could be done. Last but not least its got to be very loud and you may need some sort of pilots license to fly it. But, I still like it and would love to see it in action personally, which I could possibly do, I live about an hours drive from Anderson.

Oh and Mythbusters tried to make one but the prop was on top, I think the one in that Spy Kid or Agent Cody Banks movie with the twin props, one on each side would have a better chance, actually.

Last edited by GadgetmanKen; 11-13-2007 at 09:31 PM..