SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
I too dislike the "Authorized Tour" label used by Segway Inc as our tour operations are not tied to a dealership.
I don't dislike the "Authorized Tour" label on the grounds that I'm not a dealer. I dislike it because it is dishonest. It purports to the public that it is a mark of superior tour quality and it isn't. What's more, INC knows that and continues the charade anyway. If INC described its "Authorized tours" as those which are connected to dealers (and therefore have access to special training, are in the best position to make on-site repairs, bla bla), then I'd have no objection to it. I object precisely because it is not what they claim it is. They knowingly misrepresent it -- just as I believe you do at Segwaysightseeing.com.

The fact that Segwaysightseeing.com allows the public to post reviews and rankings is a red herring because they can only do so about tour operations that you have already designated as the "best."

Quote:
Commissions for sales are pretty standard in the travel business and shouldn't be a big surprise to the traveling buying public.
The public does recognize that agents receive commissions. But responsible agents don't conceal their bias and pass themselves off as a review site by using labels like "five stars" and the "best." There are dishonest "review" sites like that, to be sure, but the public does not generally react well when their bias is discovered.

Quote:
We selected some companies that I have personally met through running our San Francisco operation since 2004. Other international operations were highly recommend by mutual business acquaintances.
That is very good reason to describe them as "tour operations which we know to be good" and so forth. But what is your reason for labeling them the "best"? Therein, I think you know, lies the deception.

Bob Velke
SegTours, LLC
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sightseeing, tour company, tours