SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default TapaTalk?

Hello,

Does SegwayChat support TapaTalk? Could support be added? Supposedly it is easy and free for vBulletin-based forums.

And before you ask, "Why don't you just try it?" - yes, I am really too cheap to plunk down $3 for TapaTalk until I know whether it works with my favorite forums.

Thank you for your consideration.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

If you had an Android phone, you could buy it, try it, and return it within 24hr (or is it 48hr now?) if you don't like it. That's built into the Android store, and it really makes it easier for people to buy apps. Demo versions are only needed if people need more time than that to evaluate a purchase.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
If you had an Android phone, you could buy it, try it, and return it within 24hr (or is it 48hr now?) if you don't like it. That's built into the Android store, and it really makes it easier for people to buy apps. Demo versions are only needed if people need more time than that to evaluate a purchase.
It's 15 minutes now Bob!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I really don't think I said anything to provoke an iOS vs. Android war.

I was just looking for a pretty straightforward fact-based answer. A comment like that could easily derail the thread, but it doesn't help answer the question.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post

I was just looking for a pretty straightforward fact-based answer. A comment like that could easily derail the thread, but it doesn't help answer the question.
I don't think I said anything to provoke an iOS vs Android war. I have both within hands-reach.

You are not the only reader of the thread you posted. You posted about an interesting app which is available on both iPhone and Android, and indicated that you were deterred from buying on spec.

I simply pointed out that people using Android need not be deterred by that.

What, exactly, is the problem?

[Edit: Rereading, I do spot one problem -- please substitute "have" for "had". I can see how you might take that as being rebuking you for having an iPhone. That was not my intent. My main phone is an iPhone.]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I, on the other hand, have neither.

My company requires me to use a BlackBerry, and I see no value in carrying two smart phones. (This is where some may retort by asking why I call my BBerry smart )

Because of this, I have no idea what tapping is. Could someone explain? I suppose I should also mention that I rarely text messages with my personal phone either, and email with the BBerry instead. I don't tweet, rarely visit my facebook account and regularly act like the dinosaur I am. So, please be basic in your explanations of not only what tapping is, but how it differs from other forms of what I have so far found to be useless or otherwise redundant forms of communication.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Dinosaur indeed. It's almost 2012! By all accounts, we are 12 years into the future!

Well, dinosaur or not, you seem to be rather addicted to posting on internet forums. No really, 8400 posts just on this site. I'm surprised such an addict hasn't realized that he doesn't need a computer in order to keep on posting! You can use that gee-wiz whatchamacallit BlackBurry to get on the net and from there employ whatever sort of communication style best suits you, including forum posting!

Of course, if your only mobile-web experience is with a blackberry, I can see why you would think it is a worthless endeavor. Nothing about using a blackberry is pleasurable for the user.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

Dinosaur or not, doesn't really matter. Karl just appreciates classic technologies, he might even have a better appreciation of live, because he can survive without all those new technologies

It's a good question Karl, after doing some searching on their website, I found the following text in their Q&A section:

Quote:
Q: Will I lose revenue from my current web properties?

A: Tapatalk app is an optional service to your members and it drives more engagement and participation to your forum. While you may lose some pageviews up-front, in a long run you will have a more engaging forum as people are free to post new content on-the-go. We also have VigLink integration to help you earn extra revenue as well.
Based on this answer and a few other small bits and pieces, I have to draw the conclusion that it's a free service which will give mobile users an easier way to use forums. The disadvantage for the forum owner, in general, is that you will get less revenues from advertisements on your website, since the mobile application doesn't load these ads. TapaTalk can gain revenues from adding their own ads and from data mining (all data goes via their servers). Both are assumptions that I'm making, I haven't looked into much detail in the application it self, so I might be wrong.

It does seem from their website that the forum owner has to initiate/do something to enable this, so I guess it won't work with SegwayChat by default.

It's up to John to decide if he wants to add Tapatalk as a feature to SegwayChat. I don't have the right privileges to configure this.

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Put simply, TapaTalk is an app that allows you to more easily read a forum on your mobile device.

Some functions in vBulletin will not work correctly on a touch screen device (depending on the device and browser). TapaTalk will make it more device-friendly for you.

If you view a forum that supports a mobile client such as TapaTalk, when you visit the forum actually using your device, it will typically prompt you with a message to inform you about the feature and to encourage you to get the app.

As I've never seen such a pop-up for SegwayChat, I'm guessing there is no integration at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
As Bob said, I'm not sure why you posted that. Who's provoking any kind of phone war here?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

1. My BBerry does not have a touch screen, I use the keyboard. (It also does not have a camera, as I often work in very high security areas, where it is verbotten to have one.

2. I have posted to this forum many times from my BBerry (over the years)

3. When Dan first got his iphone, he posted many times, as well as several pictures. In those threads at that time, I did indicate that I thought the user interface was nice on the iphone, but I had been doing those things for a couple years via BBerry.

4. I have web access, and can use my BBerry for web access for my laptop and other computers.

5. I am still a dinosaur.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote