SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:36 AM   #11
therealzam
therealzam is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Traveling with your Seg

Firstly, my experience traveling is from the perspective of a disabled passenger. Technically speaking, batteries containing the amount of lithium can be legally transported in aircraft as cargo for anyone provided they are in containers certified for such a purpose. Airlines do keep these on hand for disabled use but are NOTORIOUSLY UNRELIABLE in having them at the right place at the right time. It's a 50/50 crap shot. Some will also let you use your own. I've not heard of this being used / allowed for recreational Segways, but it is technically legal.

As far as answering your question directly, because you didn't post this in the disability forum, I'll assume you are using the device for recreational purposes. When traveling with multiple mobility devices, I have had extra batteries shipped via currier to the receiving airport directly, but that is a service I've only seen permitted for those with disability requirements. I suggest shipping the items to a UPS or FedEx retail location for pickup. I've found this to be the most reliable option and works for every application.
therealzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
has anyone researched using another countries airline like thai air or japan air?
orPAL philippine air lines though while in US airspace it may still fall under FAA rules not may but definitely will
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:17 AM   #13
segybcn
segybcn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

and how about DHL??
segybcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #14
rotorblades

Exclamation

[QUOTE=dudeman1961;230713]I have read that I cannot transport my i2 on a plane due to the batteries.

Hi im soo tired of not being able to fly with my lithiums on mycustom x2 modified for my disability is there a non lithium x2 style available? with the fatty low pressureknobby tiresthe va hasnt kcked down apower wheelchair like they promisedsoo gotta buy a new seg and customize it at great trouble
what battery should i be getting= no airline hastle?best next to li ions?what model has leansteer and fatty knobby tires and can still use x2 cargo plate support system?i can not use my left arm to steer other than the leansteer method tnx for any advice folks

Last edited by rotorblades; 06-09-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Old 06-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #15
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

[QUOTE=rotorblades;239462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
I have read that I cannot transport my i2 on a plane due to the batteries.

Hi im soo tired of not being able to fly with my lithiums on mycustom x2 modified for my disability is there a non lithium x2 style available? with the fatty low pressureknobby tiresthe va hasnt kcked down apower wheelchair like they promisedsoo gotta buy a new seg and customize it at great trouble
what battery should i be getting= no airline hastle?best next to li ions?what model has leansteer and fatty knobby tires and can still use x2 cargo plate support system?i can not use my left arm to steer other than the leansteer method tnx for any advice folks
Please read the posts that have been made. There are some on the General thread lately and in the mobility and disabled use thread.
Yes - many airlines accept Segways. There are some conditions that apply, but please don't respond with 'no airline would ever knowingly accept lion batteries...' just call and ask using the accessibility information phone contacts listed on their website, specify that your Segway is your personal mobility/assistive device and be prepared to provide some details (weight, height,width, length), print out a form to attach to your Segway for handling instructions for the ramp workers. Big label print- 110 lbs! Arrive early, talk to the agent and confirm they have your passenger record showing traveling with a mobility device. That info will already be available to the agents planning arrival and departure activities, and the Complaint Resolution Officer (CRO) can help if there is confusion. I suggest removing the wheel caps, kickstand, LS insert and put a piece of tape across the top plate and charge port cover to keep it in place (my i2). I tell the gate agent that 'you grab the handles and push like a lawnmower and lift with the side bars..'. Get a gate check tag and relax. Ride down the Jetway or get wheelchair assist if you prefer - depending on the slant of the Jetway. Ask for the help you need at any point. Most will be happy to accommodate. Be there for pre-boarding, be patient and over-communicate rather than assume. Make sure the gate agent knows the Segway is your legs and tell the persons that come to get it. Another reason to get there early! Also, the TSA knows the process for Segways. Ride it to the security checkpoint, explain the Segway as your wheelchair (keep it simple), do whatever needed for bags, cane, etc and be prepared for patdowns, wipes, sniffs and questions. PATIENCE! Be mindful of passenger train rides between terminals (get off or hold on tight). Keep the wheels facing perpendicular to direction of the train. It gets crowded so be prepared and tell people to give ya a little room. I usually ask those next to me for help and have found that works well-and it makes for good conversation. Stay off the moving walkways and watch out for others. Nobody hears the beeping golf carts, don't assume they are paying attention to you.
I hope this is helpful for those wanting to travel with li-ons - its based on the experiences on my last 6 flights.
Again - CALL YOUR AIRLINE and ask questions related to acessibility, explain, get the info documented on your passenger record and enjoy the same access to travel as the other passengers.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #16
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to thank you segrick-ATL for taking the time to post your helpful reply.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
rotorblades

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
i took mine with me on a princess cruise ship.i hope ups or another company will ship for us. if airplanes wont lets go by boat//?
im now riding on a new pair of NI-MH batteries on my X2after over30k miles on li batteries im an easy going 170 lb old ridervery disabled with arthritis in two broke but healing legs my left arm iss almost uselesmore testing to come i dont know range yet but im sure i can get through an airport i lean it to get on and off im welcomed inside most places once they see how smooth quiet and stable i ride though for fun i ask their speed limit=ha haold post i know but resolves a current problem with lithiums?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 AM   #18
comparableness
comparableness is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Recently, I bought a Segway on vacation and had a dealer ship it to my home. They seem to have used https://www.bikeflights.com/ which quotes about $100 each way. Seems like they're used to handling eBikes with lithium batteries, so you might want to give that a shot.
comparableness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:39 AM   #19
rotorblades

Talking

lithium batteries are illegal on airplanes
ive solved the problem for my x2 i run on nimh batteries now
Old 01-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #20
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road