SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
RAY-NER
RAY-NER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default "break A Leg"

That's a showbiz term for good luck when going on stage. My situation differs. I got thrown onto the sidewalk while riding my i2 here in Port Hueneme, CA. The left wheel struck a 2 inch high curb while the right wheel was on the wheelchair incline on the sidewalk approach. The i2 then spun swiftly clockwise after it climbed the obstruction and threw me off to my right side, all 260 pounds of me pounding to the pavement. I broke my femur just below the hip socket and was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. My reason for telling you this is to try and discover if there is any other such incident equal to mine. Who knows, I may be the obe and only, but I would like to discover any information about similar accidents on a SEGWAY. RAY-NER
Old 02-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY-NER View Post
That's a showbiz term for good luck when going on stage. My situation differs. I got thrown onto the sidewalk while riding my i2 here in Port Hueneme, CA. The left wheel struck a 2 inch high curb while the right wheel was on the wheelchair incline on the sidewalk approach. The i2 then spun swiftly clockwise after it climbed the obstruction and threw me off to my right side, all 260 pounds of me pounding to the pavement. I broke my femur just below the hip socket and was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. My reason for telling you this is to try and discover if there is any other such incident equal to mine. Who knows, I may be the obe and only, but I would like to discover any information about similar accidents on a SEGWAY. RAY-NER
Ray,

Sorry to hear of your accident. I can assure you that you are not the only one to lose concentration long enough to break bones. Were you wearing a helmet?

Is your interest in others' broken bones one of curiosity and taking turns calling each other "dumb", or do you have another purpose? I'm not sure it is in the best interest of Segway enthusiasts to make it nice and easy for Segway bashers to gather ammunition, by posting a long list of those injured, even if all of us agree that the cause was human error. After all, you are a self-proclaimed gambler.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Yep, John is right. Maybe if someone else has had the same kind of accident they can PM ray-ner.

Thanks,
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
RAY-NER
RAY-NER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Break A Leg

I really only want to earn the title of "THE ONE AND ONLY" leg breaker.... (an outstanding, but painful achievement). Maybe I can qualify for the Guiness Book of Records. Yes, I was wearing a helmet. RAY-NER
Old 02-03-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I was playing with my GPS on the handlebar of my e-167 a few years ago, and ran the right wheel into a curb, at the inside of a fork in the road...

I took a header, and embarssed the hell out of myself, but did not get hurt. I got lucky, no damage (except to my pride) and even my stetson stayed on.

Similar accident, I got luckier.

I wish you a speedy convalescence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:02 AM   #6
Eric Payne

Wasn't there a news story posted, sometime in the last quarter of 2007, of someone with no experience jumping on a Segway, taking a header and breaking a leg?

I can't remember the particulars, but I seem to recall a thread detailing that, based on a news story John referenced, and that thread degenerated into a blsting of PI attorneys...

Anyone else recall something like this?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
Wasn't there a news story posted, sometime in the last quarter of 2007, of someone with no experience jumping on a Segway, taking a header and breaking a leg?

I can't remember the particulars, but I seem to recall a thread detailing that, based on a news story John referenced, and that thread degenerated into a blsting of PI attorneys...

Anyone else recall something like this?
Hmmmm, something about that rings a bell. I do seem to recall someone who constantly put their Segway on Ebay (priced NOT to sell?) who complained he'd fallen off and broke, I think, his arm. There seemed to be a theory that this was his way of trying to get the Segway a bad name as be blamed the crash on the machine, not his incompetence. If my memory serves me it was within the last year or 18 months.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

Default Here is the site

http://www.segwayexposed.com/

It's a couple of years old now, but I think this was also the Ebay guy.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Hate to tell you this guys, but that claim of a broken arm goes back longer than most of us on this forum. It is the same claim, pre-first recall, that gets dredged up over and over as if it is new.

While it may be just some irresponsible person (in that he claims no responsibility for the accident, blames it all on the machine, even though the video he offers shows him using it wrong) it shows something else to me...

If what he is saying had any validity at all, why are there so few non-operator induced problems? This is comprable to having to go back to 1910 and show car accidents to prove that cars are unsafe. If we constantly have to go back to the infancy of Segways to get a shot at a bad event, that is really a good thing, not a bad one...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I find it funny that they say George W. Bush fell off a Segway and now he can hardly stand on two feet! I don't see any problems with his standing, but I do know for a fact that ANY problem George W. Bush has is strictly due to a lack of brain cells that invoke common sense and ethics! If he does have problems standing I would refer to his long list of probable psychological disorders not at all to his Segway fall (if you can even call it that)!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote