SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Default UNO-Twice as nice

For those of you who are following the two wheeled (tandom) UNO unicycle it has taken a big leap. This months Popular Science has an article about how the UNO now slides one wheel out forward about two feet or so at higher speed for greater frontal stability. I will try to post a pic.
http://www.the-uno-tomorrows-transpo...echnology2.jpg

Last edited by GadgetmanKen; 11-08-2009 at 10:53 PM..
Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetmanKen View Post
For those of you who are following the two wheeled (tandom) UNO unicycle it has taken a big leap. This months Popular Science has an article about how the UNO now slides one wheel out forward about two feet or so at higher speed for greater frontal stability. I will try to post a pic.
Maybe it should have THREE wheels, and stick out two and become an MP3!

I talked briefly to our local MP3 dealer yesterday, apparently they're selling, and very nicely stable, as you'd expect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
GadgetmanKen

Yeah we had a couple of display demos here on display last quarter at Sam's Club where I work. Altho I haven't seen them on the streets I think they will be popular. No we didn't sell them but offered space for a local distributor. I would think with that short of wheelbase it would turn to sharp thou, unless it goes straight and you lean it to turn with out much turn play.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Yeah we had a couple of display demos here on display last quarter at Sam's Club where I work. Altho I haven't seen them on the streets I think they will be popular. No we didn't sell them but offered space for a local distributor. I would think with that short of wheelbase it would turn to sharp thou, unless it goes straight and you lean it to turn with out much turn play.
I'm not sure what you mean by "turn play".

I don't think short wheelbase means turning too short. It might ALLOW you to turn too sharply at a given speed, where a longer wheelbase might prevent you from making that error but you should always be able to simply turn less. You have to lean into the turns regardless -- or you'll fall over, three wheels or no.

The photos I've seen seem to indicate that the wheels displace vertically to allow for lean into turns.

But something the dealer said about stability struck me as odd. I can't capture it exactly, something about not being "tippy" or something.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
OK...so now what? In it's high speed configuration is the machine still laterally stable, or must you balance it yourself; and if the latter scenareo is true then how is the UNO better than other electric motorcycles such as the vectrix, the zero, or even some electric bike manufacturers. I was initially quite excited about the UNO, as it appeared to offer a sporty, low cost alternative to a motorcycle for those of us with less than perfect balance, but now it appears to be nothing more than a glorified electric motorcycle.
-segsurfer

Old 11-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "turn play".

I don't think short wheelbase means turning too short. It might ALLOW you to turn too sharply at a given speed, where a longer wheelbase might prevent you from making that error but you should always be able to simply turn less. You have to lean into the turns regardless -- or you'll fall over, three wheels or no.

The photos I've seen seem to indicate that the wheels displace vertically to allow for lean into turns.

But something the dealer said about stability struck me as odd. I can't capture it exactly, something about not being "tippy" or something.
Having researched trikes out the wazoo, here's what I know about the MP3. It uses a trapezoid shaped suspension system which allows the wheels to pivot while leaning into turns. A common misconception about the MP3 is it that it's 3 wheeled configuration gives it stability comperable to that of a traditional trike. This isn't true, while MP3 does provide a greater degree of stability over a tradition motorcycle, the rider must still lean into turns and balance the bike. The advantage of the 3 wheeled configuration lies in the added grip provided by the extra front wheel, which gives the bike better grip over it's two wheeled counterparts. The "tippy" remark was probably in reference to the fact that as the bike slows down, the suspension firms up and ultimately locks while stopped (stoplights, parking, etc.) thus negating the tippy feel of traditional motorcycles at slow speeds.
-segsurfer

Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
Having researched trikes out the wazoo, here's what I know about the MP3. It uses a trapezoid shaped suspension system which allows the wheels to pivot while leaning into turns. A common misconception about the MP3 is it that it's 3 wheeled configuration gives it stability comperable to that of a traditional trike. This isn't true, while MP3 does provide a greater degree of stability over a tradition motorcycle, the rider must still lean into turns and balance the bike. The advantage of the 3 wheeled configuration lies in the added grip provided by the extra front wheel, which gives the bike better grip over it's two wheeled counterparts. The "tippy" remark was probably in reference to the fact that as the bike slows down, the suspension firms up and ultimately locks while stopped (stoplights, parking, etc.) thus negating the tippy feel of traditional motorcycles at slow speeds.
-segsurfer
That advantage was my understanding of the situation. It's not just "extra grip", but extra resistance to road issues -- if you hit small rock, say with one wheel, you still have the other one gripping the road. Redundancy in the grip, if you will.

I expect you're right about the "tippy" remark referring to slow speed. I figured a biker would be more interested in high-speed characteristics.

I don't think I'd consider a traditional trike to be stable at speed! The *failure* to lean works against it. The dual-front configuration has the advantage of not becoming less stable when you combine braking + turning, though.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
GadgetmanKen

No I meant the UNO, being tippy. I would think that as it stretches and brings out that front wheel from parallel to front forward, I would think that is the most dangerous time on it. Having that front wheel with too much play or turn radius would most likely wipe you out at that moment.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
No I meant the UNO, being tippy. I would think that as it stretches and brings out that front wheel from parallel to front forward, I would think that is the most dangerous time on it. Having that front wheel with too much play or turn radius would most likely wipe you out at that moment.
I think we're referring to the remark by my local MP3 dealer, and you're referring to your remark about the UNO.

I think you're right about the UNO. And it's not just the bike you have to worry about - it's also the road.