SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > In the News

Notices

In the News All of the latest Segway-related news.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
DesertSeg
DesertSeg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Letter to the editor at Gizmodo

Soooo, this morning I sent an Email to Brian Lam, the editorial director of Gizmodo voicing my (our) issues with the anti-Segway posts. Actually, it's more anti Segway people than the Segways themselves, but whatever. I just let him know that many of use our Segs not out of laziness, but out of necessity due to various disabilities.

Anyway, he quickly responded stating that he liked my email and asked if he could post it on their site. If he does, I hope it helps the readers of Gizmodo see a different perspective on Segway users and that they won't automatically assume that we're simply lazy bastards.

I'll post an update if something comes of this. I would post the email here, but it will hopefully be available if they choose to post it. In any case, I want to thank Brian for at least responding to my email.

**EDIT** I also briefly told him about the Segs4Vets program and their activities to add some credibility to the disabled use of Segways
Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Very, very good. Keep us posted.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSeg View Post
Soooo, this morning I sent an Email to Brian Lam, the editorial director of Gizmodo voicing my (our) issues with the anti-Segway posts. Actually, it's more anti Segway people than the Segways themselves, but whatever. I just let him know that many of use our Segs not out of laziness, but out of necessity due to various disabilities.

Anyway, he quickly responded stating that he liked my email and asked if he could post it on their site. If he does, I hope it helps the readers of Gizmodo see a different perspective on Segway users and that they won't automatically assume that we're simply lazy bastards.

I'll post an update if something comes of this. I would post the email here, but it will hopefully be available if they choose to post it. In any case, I want to thank Brian for at least responding to my email.

**EDIT** I also briefly told him about the Segs4Vets program and their activities to add some credibility to the disabled use of Segways

Nice try. I hope it works. You should know, you are not the first, so he may be playing you, but I hope not.

keep us posted...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 AM   #14
DesertSeg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Nice try. I hope it works. You should know, you are not the first, so he may be playing you, but I hope not.

keep us posted...
Maybe, but I think I wrote a respectful letter pointing out something he may not already been aware of. Most of the their journalists/ bloggers have good senses of humor and can admit when they're wrong. Honestly, I don't care whether they post my email or not, but it was worth the try and if it works, there may be a whole lot of people out there who see Segways in a new light.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Maybe, but I think I wrote a respectful letter pointing out something he may not already been aware of. Most of the their journalists/ bloggers have good senses of humor and can admit when they're wrong. Honestly, I don't care whether they post my email or not, but it was worth the try and if it works, there may be a whole lot of people out there who see Segways in a new light.
I fully understand that it must be very frustrating for a disabled person to encounter idiotic criticisms, but I have a slightly different perspective on why Gizmodo's postings are wrong; it is not because an estimated 30% of Segway users make use of the device as a mobility aid for the disabled. Their basic assumption is that the Segway is used to replace walking. AB users don't use it as a replacement for their feet -- they use it to replace an automobile. If I were Gizmodo, I'd report that after considering your email they are correcting their position to clarify that only 70% of Segway users are lazy.

John Kuhn
Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 AM   #16
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
I fully understand that it must be very frustrating for a disabled person to encounter idiotic criticisms, but I have a slightly different perspective on why Gizmodo's postings are wrong; it is not because an estimated 30% of Segway users make use of the device as a mobility aid for the disabled. Their basic assumption is that the Segway is used to replace walking. AB users don't use it as a replacement for their feet -- they use it to replace an automobile. If I were Gizmodo, I'd report that after considering your email they are correcting their position to clarify that only 70% of Segway users are lazy.
Ah, you don't think 70% of Segway users are lazy???

I think that's pretty good, actually. After all, 80% of Americans are lazy, 90% of Gizmodo readers are lazy, and 100% of Gizmodo writers are lazy.

Point being not that anybody can make up statistics (that's obvious), but that their whole concept of "lazy" is the product of lazy thinking. How could a half-hour of active fun outdoors being pulled around on a sled make your kids lazy? People used to go on sleigh rides with their kids -- same idea, but with horses, and even less active.

Meanwhile, the Gizmodolets are probably clustered around the fancy 60" LCD TV about 30" away, watching who knows what mindless pap. At least they're exercising their neck muscles as the action goes from one side to the other.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #17
DesertSeg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Ah, you don't think 70% of Segway users are lazy???

I think that's pretty good, actually. After all, 80% of Americans are lazy, 90% of Gizmodo readers are lazy, and 100% of Gizmodo writers are lazy.

Point being not that anybody can make up statistics (that's obvious), but that their whole concept of "lazy" is the product of lazy thinking. How could a half-hour of active fun outdoors being pulled around on a sled make your kids lazy? People used to go on sleigh rides with their kids -- same idea, but with horses, and even less active.

Meanwhile, the Gizmodolets are probably clustered around the fancy 60" LCD TV about 30" away, watching who knows what mindless pap. At least they're exercising their neck muscles as the action goes from one side to the other.
I have to be honest, Bob. This type of comment is no better than what Gizmodo posts. You're entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't mean that it's right.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:17 AM   #18
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
I have to be honest, Bob. This type of comment is no better than what Gizmodo posts. You're entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't mean that it's right.
Sigh, I should know better than to attempt irony online.

In the last line, I was illustrating the result of applying the same sort of thought process in the other direction. As you say, it's exactly the sort of thing Gizmodo posts; that was the point.

But you're right, it's something better not succeeded at!

Anyway, that obscured my primary point, which is that the whole concept of 'lazy' that they're using is ill-defined, and really just a meaningless slur with no real content. It works because, being meaningless, there's no real way to counter it.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #19
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I think this whole thought process is flawed...

I looked it up on Wiki, and found out that actually, I personally am 70% lazy...

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
DesertSeg

5 yr Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Sigh, I should know better than to attempt irony online.

In the last line, I was illustrating the result of applying the same sort of thought process in the other direction. As you say, it's exactly the sort of thing Gizmodo posts; that was the point.

But you're right, it's something better not succeeded at!

Anyway, that obscured my primary point, which is that the whole concept of 'lazy' that they're using is ill-defined, and really just a meaningless slur with no real content. It works because, being meaningless, there's no real way to counter it.
Sorry if I didn't catch the irony. I re-read it several times before posting but only saw what I thought was anger. I guess that's one of the problems with the internet.

I have enjoyed reading your posts in the past and thought that the sentiment was a bit out of place for you. Shoulda known...