SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > In the News

Notices

In the News All of the latest Segway-related news.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #21
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

How come the "selected" recipients of this email included me in the UK?

Mmmm
Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #22
Segway Corvallis
Segway Corvallis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Rookie Chat Reply

Yes I agree next time I will post in the Buy Sell Section...that's why I call myself a rookie I just was not aware of that option...but I'm a quick learner! Today is the first time I have ever posted on SC. Many dealers including David Ford Texas Dealer have sold Segways to customers out of area. I think you would have a hard time finding a dealer that has not at one time or another sold below MSPR and out of their area. As dealers we can set our own pricing structure & we can sell out of our area without breaking our dealer contract. My dealership is inside another business I own and my overhead to operate dealership is must lower than some other dealers that have Segway only store fronts. Yes one of the reasons for me randonly selectly SC members to email was to send some business my way. With such low profit margins you do not see many national marketing campaigns for Segways...if I helped spread the word about the Free Accessory offer and many folks purchased a Segway from dealers worldwide...way cool. We need more Segways in the market place. Yes, some dealers struggle with lower than MSRP price, but I'm to busy to judge their dealership practices. I just wish all dealers great success!

My dealership also has never turned down a warranty service request from Segway owner looking for repair from me when they purchased from another dealer. Heck we buy them a Coke/bottled water, give them a newspaper to read and try and solve the problem within one hour. NO SERVICE FEE REQUIRED. With great service I believe just maybe they will buy something from me or send a new customer my way. If I rocked your boat again I'm sorry. Yes I'm offering a competitive price and free accessories. Price is the biggest hurdle in selling Segways. I'm in a very very small market and reaching out to others to help with word of mouth or email messages seems okay.
Take Care
Rick
Segway of Corvallis
Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #23
safety1st
safety1st will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
I too got his e-mail and as dealer I found it bemusing but in no way offending.

Steven
Steven

Would you have been offended if he offered to sell in your territory?

"any dealers including David Ford Texas Dealer have sold Segways to customers out of area~Rick."

I think you may be speaking out of turn. If we have sold a new unit out of territory and NOT PROVIDED TRAINING, which is requried by OUR contract then please step up and tell me who. You are speaking from first hand knowledge? or just from a uneducated guess?

David Ford
Old 11-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #24
safety1st
safety1st will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Not all true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segway Corvallis View Post
As dealers we can set our own pricing structure & we can sell out of our area without breaking our dealer contract.
Rick
Segway of Corvallis
Rick

Yes, you can sell out of territory but your contract says you must provide training. Which you must admit that's were the problem lies with conforming to the rules.

David Ford
Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #25
Segway Corvallis
Segway Corvallis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Another Rookie Reply

Segway Inc has provided us with a document for new Segway owners to sign off on when we sell out of the area. "Segway PT Product Orientation Checklist". Not my style to get into a disagreement with a dealer of your success Mr Ford. But when we spoke on the phone earlier this week I believe you said you had shipped out of your area. Many options to get new riders trained from offering other dealers a fee to support your sale. Whenever we ship out of area....we spend extended time on the phone with customer, discuss DVD and manuals - offer 9am to 9pm 7days aweek phone support for customers that need extra attention. If Segway Inc provides us with a document for dealers to use I see no problem with giving customers options to purchase new Segways at different price points. I still stand by the fact - more Segways riden daily - more exposure for new prospects to join the fun of riding Segways. Your message is loud and clear...you only sell at MSRP...congratulation for your Segway success. I just spoke with a California dealer yesterday that called me and he cannot sell at MSRP pricing at all. He is really struggling to stay afloat even with offering discount. Sometimes smaller dealers as myself will see success with lower MSPR pricing. I wish you continued success as a dealer and when someone asks about Texas and Segway buying I have always mentioned your name and I will continue. But if they ask my price I believe in my prcing practice and until Inc. says we all sell at MSRP I will be competitive. In the NW consumers shop price. In fact I called Mr Ford to purchase some of your new laminted fenders - hope that is still an option to purchase some?
Good night
Rick
Segway of Corvallis
Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #26
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default I found it - I'm now enlightened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Under User CP (control panel), there is a section labeled "Edit Options" -- it allows you to turn off members' ability to send you personal emails, but it does not affect PMs. I just checked and your account does NOT allow emails -- did you receive an email, or were you just fearful that you might in the future?

It was not a "message" in the sense of a PM, but rather an email. As you have opted to NOT allow members to send you emails, you should not have gotten it.
John,

I finally found the "turn off email messages" and must have selected this option (to opt-out) just before you checked. I didn't quite understand the difference between this option and PM's (which I do want to receive). So I did update my profile accordingly.

As for Rick's email, I was just caught a bit off-guard as I haven't gotten one of these more widely distributed emails since I joined. They have always been PM's. I wasn't offended, just curious as to how this occurred for the first time (for me) in over a year.

So I have learned something new from this thread that I didn't understand before. My fault for not paying more attention to the options available.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #27
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I am going to make several comments here.

In the News is an archival forum, usually we catch it before there are this many comments to an In the News item and get it locked down. This thread is being locked down.

The second comment is that it is REALLY against the rules to use Segway Chat's email function to send emails to individual forum members for sales purposes. We placed one dealer on moderation for it in 2002/2003, and will have no problem doing it again. Just a word to the wise.

Thanks,
Pam (in her moderator hat, who has had a lot of "daddy to the hospital trips" in the last couple of days, so I missed this. Sorry)