SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
verona1874
verona1874 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default This may sound CRAZY, but I don't want a Car, a Segway? Help advise

Hello,

I want to ask all of you your thoughts & opinions on this so that I can make a informed & educated choice before I go spend a lot of money on a Segway.

Here's information about me, my situation, and what I want a Segway for, please let me know if you think a Segway is a fit for me in my situation.

About myself...

I am 39 years old, I have never ridden a Segway before, but I see people all the time downtown riding them on the Segway Tours.

I live in Austin, Texas.

I live in South Austin to be exact, and that's about 6 miles from Downtown.

I would most likely NEVER need to go on a trip over 7 miles in one direction, and then 7 miles back.

In fact, that's about as far as I ever go as it is now.

I live in an apartment, and the HEB grocery store is only 2 blocks away from me across the street, so I walk over there no problem.

I don't have a job at the moment, but when I get one, it will probably be no more than 7 miles from where I live.

Basically EVERYWHERE I ever go, every day, is no further than 7 miles from where I live.

If you live in Austin, you may understand where I am coming from....
(I live in South Austin, South Austin is my favorite part of Austin, and Downtown is also my favorite part. I have no reason to go to East/West/North Austin.)

I haven't been on a trip outside of Austin in over 3 years.

OK....

Now that you understand what my NEEDS are as far as distance and location, let me tell you something more unique about my situation....

There's TWO reasons why I do not currently have a car....

1. I refuse to ever drive any car unless it's a 1977 Corvette (which I have never owned, but was thinking about getting one day, unless I get a Segway), and a 325i late 80's BMW Convertible, I actually used to have a 1987 BMW 325i convertible. I bought it for a great deal though at only $3,000.

I sold that car several years ago before moving to Texas.

So, back to the topic of the two reasons why I do not currently have a car....

1. I can't afford one. Even when I was working, I only made $12.15 a hour.

It would cost me about $5,000 to get another BMW like I used to have, and then there's the expense & upkeep on a old foreign car like that, repairs, maintenance, gas, insurance etc..... Or at least $8,000 to get a Vette like I always wanted.

So getting a Segway new starting at $5,000, low maintenance, no gas, etc, sounds VERY appealing!

I assure you that I am not a troll. I feel I need to advise you of that, because after you read what I am about to write you may think this is unbelievable...

However, I am a very unique & eccentric individual as you will see in a moment....

OK....

So here's Reason 2.

I didn't get a drivers license until around 2005.
I was over 30 when I first drove.

When I got my drivers license, I bought that used BMW.

I only kept it for about SIX MONTHS.

I only drove about 12 blocks to the store, and about 20 blocks to work and back during that whole 6 months every day.

I've never driven on the interstate in my life.

And I am absolutely TERRIBLE at parking! Like, I can't pull in between two cars without scraping up against the side of one of them.

I get confused with some of the road signs, and when it's my turn to go in traffic lights/3 way stops. I don't pay very good attention, sometimes I drive too fast, other times I drive to slow. I get lost EASY. Once I got lost only a couple blocks from my house & it freaked me out.

It makes me feel nervous to drive. I think it's due to just only having 6 months experience at it.

I've contemplated getting a old Vette like I've always wanted, because maybe that would motivate me to hire a driving instructor and learn to be a better & safer driver.

But right now I recently lost my job, and I haven't been able to pay my credit cards so my credit score went from 700 to 150 in only 3 months time because I stopped making any and all credit card payments whatsoever.

It will take me about a year to get my credit fixed, possibly 2.

I really don't like driving to tell you the truth.

Oh, I love to ride in a car, but I prefer someone else drives. I like to be seen in a cool car like a BMW but I prefer someone else drives it.

I used to have a girlfriend for ten years, and she always drove everywhere we went.

And before that I had money, I used to have enough money so as I did not have to work a job, and I could just afford to take a Taxi cab anywhere I wanted to go, and that's what I did all my life until I turned 23 years old.

Then I got a GF and she drove me everywhere.

But she left me 4 years ago, and I moved to Texas.

So....

Let me tell you what I spent THREE years, and THREE months doing here....

I rode the BUS for over 3 years to & from work every day!

Now I know you may be reading this and thinking to yourself why is this guy telling us all this information....

Well I want you to have all the facts so that you can give me the best advice on this situation. You need to know my lifestyle, and what I have to go through each day, so that you can know whether or not to advise me to get a Segway or not...

At least that's my thought.

So....

When I had a job, the last 3 years & 3 months...
I rode the bus to & from work.

HERE'S THE CATCH.....
ARE YOU READY??????????

Where I worked at was ONLY 7 miles from my apartment... BUT.... I actually had to ride THREE separate buses just to get there! And then I had to ride 3 buses to get home every day!!!

It took me 90 minutes to get to work, and 90 minutes to get home! So I spent THREE HOURS -every- day just coming & going from work!!!!

Sometimes a bus would run late or break down, so then I'd have to wait for another one, and that would add a extra 30 -60 minutes onto that ordeal!

See when you ride the bus, a lot of the time is spent waiting for each bus to show up.

IN A CAR, it ONLY took 15 minutes to get to my job! I know this because someone gave me a few rides home before from work.

If you do the math, that's a minimum of 3 hours a day times 5 work days = 15 hours a week x 4 weeks a month = 60 hours a month = almost 3 days of my life each month just on the buses in transit back & forth to work!

It's MISERABLE to live like that and have all that time WASTED.

OK, so I know what you may be thinking at this point....

Why not just get a bicycle????

Well, I don't want to get all hot and sweaty on a bicycle before showing up to work, #1.

And #2, I would be a nervous wreck if I had to utilize the bicycle lane! I'd be afraid a car would hit me! I've never ridden a bicycle in the road ever in my life before!

OK, so there you have it all!!!!

I know that was ALOT of info, but I think I am a unique person with a unique situation that MOST others don't experience.

So, given what I have told you, do you think me getting a Segway would be a good idea?????

Austin laws state that it's legal to ride Segways here on the sidewalks and anywhere that's 35mph or less. I looked that up online.

I only want to ride one on sidewalks and on the land.

I'm sick & tired of wasting so much time on the bus.
And I don't wanna spend a lot of money on a car/maintenance/gas/insurance, nor do I wanna feel like I'm scared of dying in a car crash all the time.

So what advice can you all offer me on this????

Should I look into buying a used Segway?????

Also, I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment, are these things hard to get up steps?

Thank you for your patience, as well as any advice you give.
verona1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Verona,

Interesting presentation...

First, I would advise you to consider taking a tour on a segway before you put more thought into this. You need to ride a segway, and consider what that is like before you can consider if it will fit your needs.

I would also investigate the actual laws in your town and state that apply to segways on the sidewalk. You may find good results or bad, but you would not want to make such a purchase only to find that there are local or state laws that make it inappropriate to use it the way you wish.

Next, I would warn you that riding a segway takes a good deal of paying attention. I would say it takes at least as much attention to the details of all the various things happening around you, as well as in front of you on the sidewalk, as driving a car, or riding a bike.

It is not as physically difficult to ride a segway as a bicycle, but it does take as much attention to detail, and you have already said you do not pay attention at times, and are easily confused or lost. These things will happen as much on the segway as on a bike or car.

Also, Weather is a factor. Rain is pretty obvious, you will get less wet on a bus for 90 minutes, than on a segway for 7 miles.

Bikes are pretty much not well designed for lots of groceries, and segways are just a bit better, but not great. Cars have far more storage capacity, even your vette which has no trunk can take a couple grocery bags on the other seat, if you want to place them there. The BMW would have most of all options discussed.

If you have been doing well enough for the past several years without a car, the segway will represent a great deal more transportation options, and you can still take the bus on rainy or extremely hot days.

If you resume your relationship with a girlfriend, or a new one, your segway will not work too well for the two of you. The likelihood of finding a girlfriend with your attitude toward (or perhaps more appropriately, against) cars is not great, so if she has a car, and you have the segway, there are even more options. At some point, if you really like the segway, you may get another for her.

In my opinion, many of the issues you have against other conveyances will also go against the segway. Some will surely not.

Good luck on your quest. Ride a segway. On a personal note, I have a 1999 Volvo C70 convertible that I like very much. I believe it compares well with the BMW you mentioned. It is worth at least considering that there are other cars in that class of eurosedan convertibles that may make reasonable alternatives to the different transportation choices you mentioned. There are other electric conveyances as well, like the Yike and the solo wheel.

Keep us posted. Go find a segway tour, and tell us of your impressions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Take a tour...

You will love it or hate it..LOL

Rain is the worst part or a string of cold days..

You will be allowed to put it inside bus maybe that helps on a cold or wet day?

Before you get a Segway take a good hard look at the RYNO I think just might give Segway a run for there money and cheaper..

Good luck on your choice....I haven't driven in over 7 years and the Segway is my only way around...

I lost my bus service a while back so use Segway to get to it...Huge help...Your lucky shopping is close, for me that's the only pitfall but I make due...My closest store is 2 1/2 miles away...(about 12 minutes gliding)

Please tell us what you do.... enjoy
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
[email protected]
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Certainly, first take a Segway tour.

Given what you told us about your driving experiences (paying attention, getting lost, preferring to ride with someone else driving), I'm a bit concerned. I believe that one of the groups in Austin would rent a Segway to you, so after you take a tour, I strongly suggest you rent a Segway and use it independently for a day or so, to see if you would really like using it for a daily commute, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Before you get a Segway take a good hard look at the RYNO I think just might give Segway a run for there money and cheaper..
If you consider airdale's suggestion, I believe it would be very important to try it before buying.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Verona,

To the latter questions.

For your first segway, I would definitely consider a used one. You can get one for potentially much less than the cost of new (but not as much of a discount as the small fraction of the new cost for your BMW). If you buy used, you can still upgrade to new after...

A segway can go up most stairs with help, and it is not too hard, once you get the technique down, but it is harder than most bicycles. It can help itself up the stairs with you pulling on the handlebars. Some stairs are easier than others, but generally speaking, segways and stairs are not a great pair.

Segways typically weigh between 80 and 120 pounds (depending on the model and tires) and that makes them pretty hard to lift, and not fun to lift often, unless you are very strong.

I also have been thinking that you are limiting yourself very much to just Austin. I do not know that town, but there is a big world out there. A segway just might open up a bit more of it to you if you let it.

I might suggest a GPS to go along with it. Mine has a simple picture of a house, and a one button that is 'Home" and it will guide me to my home from where ever it am when I hit that button. You could mount it to your segway.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
verona1874
verona1874 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks for your insight everyone, I am going to schedule a 2 or 3 hour tour on one here soon & I will report back on how I feel about it. I am just thinking a Segway may be a good compromise for me right now, until I can afford a good car & also get more driving instruction so that I feel more confident about driving a car. It almost never rains in Austin and there's only about 6 weeks of cold weather here.
verona1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've been gliding as a Segway PT owner, on an almost daily basis, for over eight years. I love it.

Like you, I live in an urban environment and most all of my destinations are within a few miles of home, and there are decent sidewalks along most routes.

The machines themselves indeed require little maintenance, and cost about a penny a mile for electricity. We've saved a lot of money NOT having a second car.

I really enjoy gliding. I call it "low-level flying" for its freedom of movement and relatively easy control.

At first glance, a Segway PT would seem to be a rather ideal solution for your stated overall transportation situation.

However, there are a number of things you need to examine for yourself carefully before you decide to buy one.

Take a Segway tour. I've been on several myself. I've been a tour guide on a number of them. I've also given literally thousands of "demo rides" to people over the years. Most people have a great time and really enjoy their first exposure to gliding. It's not hard to learn for most people.

The problem is that it's difficult to tell some people what to expect and what to do or not do before they actually step up on the machine for the first time. I wasn't given very good training before I stepped up on one, and I did the common "Segway shuffle" where you reflexively "fight" with the machine, rocking forwards and backwards for a few seconds. I thought that I had to "do something" when I stood up on it. WRONG. The difficult thing for many people to realize is that you have to do NOTHING when you step up. You have to stay relaxed--easier said than done for many people.

What I've found to be very helpful, and which I have everyone do first before they step up, is to stand in front of the machine grasping the handles while the machine is in "balance mode" where it responds to their moving the handles around. I have them move the handles forward and back and also have them pivot the handles to either side so that they can see and feel how the machine responds to those various movements. This gives them a good initial impression of the "feel" of the machine before they step up on it. I also have them kick or push a tire to realize that the machine isn't going to freely roll around as one might expect. The wheels turn ONLY when the handles lean or pivot. So then I tell them that, if they keep the handles in one spot in space, the machine won't move when they step up on it. This initial orientation helps most people avoid or reduce that "Segway shuffle" when they first step up.

The other main thing I want to caution you about, which Karl mentioned earlier, is that Segway gliding has its potential dangers, just as all other modes of transportation do. Just like other modes, there is the requirement to be constantly aware of your environment all around you at all times. But on a Segway, there are hazards peculiar to gliding. I won't go into detail here and now, but you have to be willing to learn about gliding as you go. Be your own attentive student. Take is slow and easy in a parking lot or around the block without crossing streets at first. Do a lot of gliding, starting and stopping, turning, getting on and off, negotiating slopes and small ridges, etc. so that you know what to expect of the machine in various situations and so that you learn how to control it smoothly in any situation.

Once you learn good, smooth control, then you can take your attention off of the machine and put it more where it belongs: out and around your environment, watching out carefully for other pedestrians and other traffic.

Probably most people take a few spills or have a few mishaps during their learning periods. But if you remain attentive and are a good student you can avoid most of these.

One more thing you need to consider in your situation is to determine whether you want to negotiate your three floors of steps with a Segway. It is indeed possible to control the machine up and down stairs. But you really have to learn this activity well. It also depends on what kind of stairs you have.

Traction of the tires is key. The machine weighs 120 lbs. When you have the machine in "riderless balance mode" the motors have plenty of power to turn the wheels to power assist itself up and down stairs or up and down curbings. But if the tires somehow lose traction, though, you don't want to lose control of the machine while negotiating stairs. With rain or snow on the steps, stair climbing can be very dicey if not completely impossible. You certainly wouldn't want to lose your grip and have your precious machine suddenly become a 120 lb "Mexican jumping bean" careening down the stairs towards self destruction or injuring others on its way down.

There may also be times when "you're late" and you don't have the time to negotiate the stairs with the machine, or you become careless because of the rush.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Good luck.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
[email protected]
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

And to tie this back to the request for advice:

Something about the total of Verona's supplied information (selective quote below) gives me the personal impression that the RYNO would not be a good "match" for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1874 View Post
I want to ask all of you your thoughts & opinions on this so that I can make a informed & educated choice ...
let me tell you something more unique about my situation....
And I am absolutely TERRIBLE at parking! Like, I can't pull in between two cars without scraping up against the side of one of them.

I get confused with some of the road signs, and when it's my turn to go in traffic lights/3 way stops. I don't pay very good attention, sometimes I drive too fast, other times I drive to slow. I get lost EASY. Once I got lost only a couple blocks from my house & it freaked me out.

It makes me feel nervous to drive.
Well I want you to have all the facts so that you can give me the best advice on this situation. You need to know my lifestyle, and what I have to go through each day, so that you can know whether or not to advise me to get a Segway or not...
Also, I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment, are these things hard to get up steps?
............................ Note: The RYNO weighs 160 pounds without batteries.

It may even be that a Segway isn't a good match.

So, I think it would be really good to at least let him find out if a Segway might be a good match, before looking at alternatives.

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-01-2014 at 01:59 PM..
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Here's an idea, an electric bicycle, some cargo racks, etc.
You can find good quality ones like A2B for around $1,700-$2,000
Pedal power FTW and electric if you're not in the mood to arrive to that important meeting sweaty.
Downhills also enable you to reach speeds much higher than the Segway can achieve.
Most e-bikes are not too much heavier than their non electric counterpart, and if transport/storage is a problem, consider a folding electric bike.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Here's an idea, an electric bicycle, some cargo racks, etc.
You can find good quality ones like A2B for around $1,700-$2,000
Pedal power FTW and electric if you're not in the mood to arrive to that important meeting sweaty.
Downhills also enable you to reach speeds much higher than the Segway can achieve.
Most e-bikes are not too much heavier than their non electric counterpart, and if transport/storage is a problem, consider a folding electric bike.
I'm sorry but I think your off topic? LOL

Sounds like giving out information and trying to help a fellow human being isn't what is being asked for here?

But again another great idea for someone to due research if it works for them.( sorry my opinion )
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy, car, segway