SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

There was a Segway video showing the development on the new tyres, showing their staff drifting around a corner. Really wide with the unsuccessful tyres and not so much with the tyres we're all using. Ok, not all of us... The first time I drifted was whilst racing in Steyr, skidding around a tree on some muddy dirt. It's cool to slide. But don't confuse this with having the skids. Sliding/drifting around a corner = good, having the skids = bad!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 AM   #12
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

We do that in the winter here all the time. It's really not that tough if the surface is consistently slippery. If the traction gets better and worse a lot, it's really tough to do. The biggest trick is that the Segway no longer balances as well, since you don't have nearly the traction. If you lean too far forward or back, it's easy to lose all traction, and that just spins up the wheels, and shuts down the machine. You basically keep the machine upright yourself using your balance, and allow the machine to slide sideways. With my 180 I can usually shoot snow in the form of a "rooster tail" about 5 feet behind me. It's a lot of fun, but it is a skill that requires a bit of practice.

Jim