SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Upcoming on BBC2 in the UK

10 am on Sunday 12th August "Something for the Weekend".

We don't know what the content is likely to be, but the presenter Tim Lovejoy has asked that they feature the latest Segway for him to test.

We'll be taking the X2, but as its a live show from a studio it's hardly likely to be put through its paces!

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
We don't know what the content is likely to be, but the presenter Tim Lovejoy has asked that they feature the latest Segway for him to test.
It will be good just to get some UK media exposure (10am BBC2)
Old 08-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Could you do us across the big pond the favor of recording it and posting on YouTube?

I don't know the program in question, but you should be very careful of getting into any situation where you do not know exactly what the outcome is supposed to be. From what you've described, there's a lot of potential for good or bad since it looks more like a cooking show than anything else!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/sftw_week.shtml
Old 08-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

For a cooking show, I'd have the chef "claim" to run out of a key ingredient and ask two assistants, one on a PT and one that owns a car to make a run down to the nearest grocery store and obtain the ingredient. Have a couple of camera crews follow to document the results.

Will the PT rider have an advantage between the studio and the studio's parking lot? Will the car driver have to run in order keep up? Once on the way, will the car driver get stuck in traffic? Will the PT rider be able to take short cuts where the car can't go? How long will it take to find a parking spot for the car? Will the car driver be compelled to double park to save time?

Same deal on the trip back.

If the show's producer is extra evil, will he phone the car driver and PT rider after they're part way back and ask them to go back and get "just one more thing" at the store?

You could even have the respective camera crews using the same device / vehicle that they are following.

I guess this sounds like a Letterman show type stunt. Everything should be OK, as long as they don't run into a floor waxer.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
We'll be taking the X2, but as its a live show from a studio it's hardly likely to be put through its paces!
Nick, I realize that the X2 is a novelty for GB, but given the fact that this is to be done on a studio stage as opposed to outdoors, mightn't the i2 make more sense? The X2:

1.) May not fit through the doors.
2.) Tires will mark the floors, won't they?
3.) Intimidating in it's size, and if dialogue turns to using them among pedestrians, I'd expect to hear, "Are you &%@*#ing crazy?"
4.) If they check the Segway website they will see that "it is not intended for use on sidewalks or pedestrian walkways," much less indoors.
5.) Given that this might be the only exposure of the audience to what a Segway is all about, I fear you could be shooting yourself in the foot as you are trying to get them legalised (that "s" sure looks funny).

With no idea what is planned, is there any chance you are being set up so that they can make fun of the Segway?

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:54 AM   #6
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I was aware of the possability of bad press, but, the presenter has ridden the Gen 1 Segways and gave them a great press. It is him that has requested the Gen 2, so we have to assume the best. Clearly I have absolutely no control on what the outcome is, thats a chance we all take when dealing with the media.

To be honest, any reasonably prime time free to air network coverage in the UK has to be good for Segways in general. Oh and yes Rob, 10 am on BBC2 IS prime time!

I agree entirely about the X2, but the presenter wanted "the very latest" and he's not ridden the off roader. I will be taking the i2 as well, though.

All we need to do now is get Gordon Brown on one!

Southern Segway

Last edited by nickyboy; 08-08-2007 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: typo's
Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 AM   #7
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Urm , I don't suppose anyone recorded this. I forgot! Doh.

Had a great time, the producers let my daughter and I sit in the studio throughout the whole show, which went out live.

The presenter, Tim Lovejoy introduced the Segway as "I want one of these, they are great". We only had about a minute or two towards the end in the "latest gadgets" section along with the iPhone (yeah we're a little behind you guys in the States!) and some kids toy dogs!

Oh, and bye the way, the food was good as well!. I might have to change my screen name to Fat Bloke on a Segway.

Southern Segway

Old 08-27-2007, 05:18 AM   #8
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Doh! And the BBC website only offers viewing programmes you missed for up to 7 days
Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Urm , I don't suppose anyone recorded this. I forgot! Doh.
Have you asked the producer for a copy. It should be simple for them to put it on a DVD for you in return for your efforts.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Have you asked the producer for a copy. It should be simple for them to put it on a DVD for you in return for your efforts.
Good idea.

Honestly, sometimes I think i have too many CRAFT moments

Southern Segway