SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
sm6wet
First Timer
sm6wet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default To start a tour business and questions

Hi,

I am new on this forum and have a few questions.
I am considering expatriating to a small tropical island location and thinking a Segway tour business would be very beneficial business.
- There is currently no such business there.
- There is currently no Segway at all there.
- Locals and tourists in this location are generally very environmentally aware.
- Speed limits are very low (beneficial to gliding on streets and roads).
- Tourists on this location is generally looking for quietness, nature, scenery and adventure experience attractions.

I have some questions in order to know feasibility and what PT to use.

1. How rigid are the moving parts and metal parts? Is there any parts that would rust due to the salted air a tropical island location would incur?
2. Are they usable in rain? In this location it is usually sunny but 1-2 times a day gives a sudden heavy shower that usually lasts 1-10 minutes.
3. Are i2 useable on gravel or smooth dirt roads? Or is only paved surfaces an option?
4. Where do you differentiate between using i2 or x2 models?
5. Would it be possible to drive the x2 on the beach? Would sand inflict on the lifetime?
6. What age restriction would you put on your clients? Or only minimum weight?
7. What distance in km/miles would you expect a i2 or x2 to run problem free before problems start to happen too often to keep using it for tours. I have 2 tour options, both is about 8Km/5 miles, 2 times a day, about 320 days of the year = 5120 Km/year or 3200 miles/year.
8. What is expected battery life-time?
9. How long is charging time for i2 respective x2 from nearly empty to full?
10. How much would you charge per person for a 2h and 8Km/5mile trip?
11. Considering the off-the-grid location I have. Is there anything more susceptible to break that I should considering having plenty spares of as it might take more than a week for me to get parts.
12. Any other considerations is most welcome.

/Magnus
sm6wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Magnus,

Lest you think we're all unfriendly here, let me just point out that you've asked for an AWFUL lot of information. Like many other people here, I suspect, I'd be happy to help you but I'm not going to devote an hour to answer all of those questions in detail.

I suggest that you contact your local Segway dealer (whoever you would buy them from) and ask all of your questions - and then come back and ask the few questions that might be better answered by an experienced tour operator.

And ask one question at a time People might jump in with an answer to one or two questions when they don't have time for a dozen.

Good luck with your business.

Respectfully,

-Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

<snip>

1. How rigid are the moving parts and metal parts? Is there any parts that would rust due to the salted air a tropical island location would incur?

Most of the parts are aluminum so save weight. Many of the screws will rust if not treated.

2. Are they usable in rain? In this location it is usually sunny but 1-2 times a day gives a sudden heavy shower that usually lasts 1-10 minutes.

Works fine in the rain, watch out for wet leaves they are very slippery.

3. Are i2 useable on gravel or smooth dirt roads? Or is only paved surfaces an option?

Fine on dirt road and gravel. I find that sometimes with stock tires gravel can be a little un-nerving.

4. Where do you differentiate between using i2 or x2 models?

When I bring one of each to an event, the x2 is much more popular in offroad situations. If you are in tight spaces and on sidewalks the i2 is better

5. Would it be possible to drive the x2 on the beach? Would sand inflict on the lifetime?

I have seen people use an x2 on the beach, I would not recommend spending any time on the very soft sand. The tires (even x2) get hung up in very soft sand and the rider goes down.

6. What age restriction would you put on your clients? Or only minimum weight?

This is probably up to your insurance company. I have kids as young as 8 ride my segways. Weight is the biggest issue, they don't have enough mass to stop quickly going down hill.

7. What distance in km/miles would you expect a i2 or x2 to run problem free before problems start to happen too often to keep using it for tours. I have 2 tour options, both is about 8Km/5 miles, 2 times a day, about 320 days of the year = 5120 Km/year or 3200 miles/year.

You will normally go through the factory tires and then switch to the kind of tires they sell at Segway of Oakland.

8. What is expected battery life-time?

They "work" for about 2 hours, takes 8 hours to charge. You should probably buy some off board chargers and extra batteries. Expect between 500-1000 cycles.

9. How long is charging time for i2 respective x2 from nearly empty to full?

Eight hours.

10. How much would you charge per person for a 2h and 8Km/5mile trip?

$85

11. Considering the off-the-grid location I have. Is there anything more susceptible to break that I should considering having plenty spares of as it might take more than a week for me to get parts.

Most of the serious breakage is going to require they unit to be shipped back to the factory. This is the biggest problem I have. Also it can take over TWO MONTHS to get your unit back from the factory.

Transmissions, Wheels, Tires, Fenders, Grips... All the stuff like that can be gotten from Segway as spares.

12. Any other considerations is most welcome.

Have a few spares and only plan for 35% occupancy and you'll be fine. Don't forget to get good insurance. Keep a first aid kit handy.

Good luck

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
mryang
mryang is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks jgbackes, very informative!
mryang is offline   Reply With Quote