SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I presume the pilot would not want the thing coming down on top of him.

Weight high isn't unstable, it's meta-stable. Which means, if you keep it oriented, just like on a Segway, it's fine. It's when things get out of control that you get instability.

Even so -- I suspect the center of gravity isn't that far from the plane of the rotors, and possibly even below. Where are the batteries? How much do the motors weigh?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I presume the pilot would not want the thing coming down on top of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post

Weight high isn't unstable, it's meta-stable. Which means, if you keep it oriented, just like on a Segway, it's fine. It's when things get out of control that you get instability.

Even so -- I suspect the center of gravity isn't that far from the plane of the rotors, and possibly even below. Where are the batteries? How much do the motors weigh?

Bob,

I said that the weight of the rider, if below the lift plane would add a level of stability. Are you really saying it would not?

Just like on a segway, a high weight is a destabilizing factor. Just because when a segway is working properly, it can compensate does not mean it is more stable than if it were designed otherwise.

And most flying machines that I know of have to deal with all sorts of degrees of instability, and the better designed ones can recover from at least some level of it. Any machine designed to not be able to deal with at least some instability will not be much of a success, or use, or even safe.

I guessed the white boxes on the arms below the motors were the battery packs, which would do a reasonable job of distributing the weight. If the entire machine were relatively symmetrical in weight, instead of a central weight and outlying lift arms, it would have a different flight characteristic. I don’t know that it would automatically be more or less stable, but by distribution the weight, individual components and frame members might be able to be made from lighter materials.

I agree, the empty machine (sans pilot) does look like the center of gravity is most likely below the props, but that pilot is a pretty big weight, and does appear relatively high to me.

Still, the whole device seems pretty light, and light duty. I am still curious, and if it came to a town near me, I might glide on over, and check it out.

As far as your first statement that the pilot would not want the thing coming down on him made me think that I would equally not want to fall off my perch and fall onto that field of spinning rotors either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]

Bob,

I said that the weight of the rider, if below the lift plane would add a level of stability. Are you really saying it would not?
No. I'm saying it may be more stable than it appears, and not be worth the negatives involved.
Quote:
Just like on a segway, a high weight is a destabilizing factor. Just because when a segway is working properly, it can compensate does not mean it is more stable than if it were designed otherwise.
Agreed. You are comparing higher/lower and more/less stable. I'm looking at how stable the actual device is. Both are correct. Yours is a basic physical principal. Mine is an estimate. So yours is MORE correct, if you'd like to compare.
Quote:
And most flying machines that I know of have to deal with all sorts of degrees of instability, and the better designed ones can recover from at least some level of it. Any machine designed to not be able to deal with at least some instability will not be much of a success, or use, or even safe.
Yes, I tried to bring out this point as well. But remember, this is a test prototype, being deliberately operated very conservatively in a very controlled environment. The safety tradeoffs will be different, from a vehicle operated in a wide array of environments and weather conditions, by pilots of various skills, over longer periods of time, with more opportunities for lapse in attention -- any of the host of factors a real-world device must be safe.
Quote:
I guessed the white boxes on the arms below the motors were the battery packs, which would do a reasonable job of distributing the weight. If the entire machine were relatively symmetrical in weight, instead of a central weight and outlying lift arms, it would have a different flight characteristic. I don’t know that it would automatically be more or less stable, but by distribution the weight, individual components and frame members might be able to be made from lighter materials.

I agree, the empty machine (sans pilot) does look like the center of gravity is most likely below the props, but that pilot is a pretty big weight, and does appear relatively high to me.

Still, the whole device seems pretty light, and light duty. I am still curious, and if it came to a town near me, I might glide on over, and check it out.

As far as your first statement that the pilot would not want the thing coming down on him made me think that I would equally not want to fall off my perch and fall onto that field of spinning rotors either.
I think he's adequately restrained from that happening. But with the assembly being lower to the ground, if he dumps, there's less freedom for it to rotate out of control. If it were above him, it could turn close to 90 degrees.

Also, his position gives him a clear view of many of the rotors, and he can watch both the device and the ground at the same time. I don't think he could do that if he were below it.

As a test setup, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable configuration to me.

Perhaps you're familiar with the Hiller flying platforms? They actually depended on the pilot's weight shifts and sense of balance for stability.

http://www.hiller.org/flying-platform.shtml

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

In case you're curious -- I'm comfortable in stating that my ESTIMATE is CORRECT, on the grounds that it is imprecise enough to surely include reality. Not all that big a claim, really. As much a matter of care in wording as any feat of engineering insight.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #15
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

If you search the web there are very many equivalent devices with from 3 to about 8 props, but all are small devices, typically about 400 t0 700 mm across. They are all gyro stabilised and some have amazing manoeuvrability- I've seen videos of these things sticking themselves upside down to a ceiling or a wall using reverse thrust. The commercial driving force is, I suspect, micro surveillance devices. Some have gps receivers so can be made on command to home back to a start location or keep station over a specific point with a sort of dynamic positioning system. Here are such devices:

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...opter-multiwii

http://vimeo.com/groups/multicopters/videos

The man capable one is just a scaled up version (you can see what I think are the batteries duct taped to the frame) and therein lies the problem- I think they are getting to the point where from a weight point of view carrying a lightweight gas driven generator would give you much greater endurance, and if you also kept some battery capacity for emergency power, much greater safety.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #16
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

I think perhaps a couple of reasons he is above the rotors is, one because of visibility and turbulance might be less above and he could strap a chute to himself and eject if need be, or land it somewhat safer with one above it.
They do have some helicopter toys that have a circular ring around the rotor blades, it wound be somewhat safer with them also.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Inspector Gadget managed quite well with only one prop and being below it rather than above.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Go_go_gadget_copter_by_bonjourmonami.jpg (9.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Inspector Gadget managed quite well with only one prop and being below it rather than above.

My point exactly! Have I won you over?

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.