SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New VP of Marketing

It seems like Segway is looking for a new VP of Marketing.
http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=54642584

The part I find interesting is that the salary is listed as "base plus stock." As I understand it, unless there is an IPO that stock isn't going to be worth much. Is this a hint of things to come? I know this topic has been hashed to death and I don't know what is coming but consider the description.
Quote:
The ideal candidate will have a passion for transportation, possess an advanced degree, strong program management skills and experience working in a publicly traded technology company.
I put this here since, strictly speaking, this topic is not about the product but the company so...

Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Interesting. Wonder what's happening with Klee. Great to see that this is being addressed.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
ArtL
ArtL is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
The part I find interesting is that the salary is listed as "base plus stock." As I understand it, unless there is an IPO that stock isn't going to be worth much.
Never underestimate the potential value of ESOP stock... it can work out to give you a very nice chunk of money when you leave the company, or the company goes public or is sold to a non-ESOP company. A good number of people who have become millionaires from those things, and they were not in top level executive jobs.
ArtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking SEG America lured him to run the Enthusiast Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Interesting. Wonder what's happening with Klee. Great to see that this is being addressed. Pam
So he is now relocating to Las Vegas!

(guys this is totally in jest) Because as we all know he is more a Segway HT Polo Fan, so he is going to be marketing the WOZ Cup this year... ;-)

Last edited by wwhopper; 03-11-2007 at 08:20 PM..
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtL View Post
it can work out to give you a very nice chunk of money when you leave the company, or the company goes public or is sold to a non-ESOP company.
Very interesting, assuming the last person in this position held stock, could they still have that stock or would they be forced to sell it back? Next, do you know how the price of any stock is set if there be no IPO? I also assume they stayed long enough to become vested and if there was no specific provision to sell it back then they would be able to keep it indefinately. Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
Very interesting, assuming the last person in this position held stock, could they still have that stock or would they be forced to sell it back? Next, do you know how the price of any stock is set if there be no IPO? I also assume they stayed long enough to become vested and if there was no specific provision to sell it back then they would be able to keep it indefinately. Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me.
Every ESOP or option program has countless ways it can be run but, in most startups (which believe it or no Inc is), the stock acts as a glue. This glue is only good when issued as vesting shares and with a nominal value, often set by the board with advice from an independent firm.

Once an IPO happens the value of the shares then increases but the vesting schedule remains the same.

If somebody leaves the organization, than any non-vested shares revert back to the company and the payout of the vested portions is based on the applied nominal value.

I'm not saying this is the case with Inc, just explaining the process.

Of course, the job description doesn't say what kind of stock. It could be a stock of i2s that he then gets to sell . Watch out e-Bay, here comes Klee!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote