SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
ksal
ksal

5 yr Member
Default travel on a plane

I have been taking my Seg on planes for years. I was the first on AirTran and was accompanied by a rep from the company who flew down from Atlanta to Florida to go on the flight with me to clear the way. The only problem I have is that my batteries are now 5 years old and don't hold a charge very well. I understand that they can't be replaced with the same batteries (I have the P series). Is that still the case or can I get new batteries put in?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default P series Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksal View Post
I understand that they can't be replaced with the same batteries (I have the P series). Is that still the case or can I get new batteries put in?
There are new P Series Batteries out there, just not the new style LiOn. We get them to customers all the time. Just ask your dealer to order you a set.

The P-133 is such a cult Segway, that there will be a need for replacement parts for them as those parts mature.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #13
martinbogo
martinbogo is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default You -can- fly with the LiIon!

Here's something neat. Since the LiION batteries are bolted into the bottom of the Segway .. they qualify as a sealed LiION unit. So, like laptops and everything else they qualify to travel just fine.

I generally glide up through to the gate, and then hand over the Segway to the handlers for storage. Since we have infoKeys now, I'll have to give instructions for shutdown and will -not- leave the ramp until the infoKey is returned to me.

So far, so good though on the SFO->LAX commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegs View Post
I've flown a few times w/my segway, and I love it. I only wish I could fly w/the lithium battery.

I'll tell you one thing, though I'm always the first to board the plane, and the last to get off. (Since I have to wait for a straight back chair) I still beat everyone to the baggage claim. I love it!

Nolegs
martinbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #14
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbogo View Post
Here's something neat. Since the LiION batteries are bolted into the bottom of the Segway .. they qualify as a sealed LiION unit. So, like laptops and everything else they qualify to travel just fine.

I generally glide up through to the gate, and then hand over the Segway to the handlers for storage. Since we have infoKeys now, I'll have to give instructions for shutdown and will -not- leave the ramp until the infoKey is returned to me.

This is partially correct. The pilot has the final say if a Segway with Li-Ions can go on a passenger aircraft. So, while we haven't had problems flying our units out here as of yet, there may come a day when the pilot says no, and then we have to wait for the next flight!

So far we have used Lufthansa, Air France, and Emirates, all with no problems.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default li ons and passenger aircraft

I have been advised specifically by segway that lions could not go on passenger planes whether loose or attached to a segway. In fact they were quite emphatic about it

As I assume that segway personnel monitor segwaychat, it would be interesting to see them advise if this is correct

My understanding that the size of the li ons and the power involved prevented them from going on passenger aircraft.

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #16
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG1247 View Post
I have been advised specifically by segway that lions could not go on passenger planes whether loose or attached to a segway. In fact they were quite emphatic about it

As I assume that segway personnel monitor segwaychat, it would be interesting to see them advise if this is correct

My understanding that the size of the li ons and the power involved prevented them from going on passenger aircraft.
Richard,

All my units are flown over here and to our various dealerships.
All of our recent shipments have come on passenger aircraft.
I met with Emirates Airlines on Wednesday and they confirmed that the pilot can decide if they fly on passenger aircraft or not

I agree with your last statement. That was my understanding too. But it seems that things have changed.

Steven
Old 03-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #17
martinbogo
martinbogo is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default More research needed.

Nevertheless, I haven't had any problems at all going from SFO to LAX, and I do this commute regularly. Now, there have been some changes in recent times that recognize the difference between the Saphion (SAFE-ion -- good choice of name) and the standard LiION/LiPO cells.

I'll be checking up with the NTSB rules for shipping Saphion cells and such. Not being able to take the Seg along on the trips between SF and LA would be a real drag. I'll just count myself lucky then, that it was accepted on the flights it has been accepted on.
martinbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
Dennis Tracey
Dennis Tracey is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Where I can find this referenced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbogo View Post

I am trying to locate a reference for the "sealed LiION unit" and aircraft regs.

Thank you
Dennis Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #19
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
This is partially correct. The pilot has the final say if a Segway with Li-Ions can go on a passenger aircraft. So, while we haven't had problems flying our units out here as of yet, there may come a day when the pilot says no, and then we have to wait for the next flight!

So far we have used Lufthansa, Air France, and Emirates, all with no problems.

Steven
As much as I would love for all of this to be true it is simply incorrect.

There is a difference between being ignorant of the law and doing something that seems reasonable and knowing the law then just choosing to break it.

The issue with the lithium-ion batteries used by the Segway is the amount of lithium that they contain. They contain just slightly more lithium in the aggregate than is permissible under not only the United States RESPA Regulations but also United Nation's treaties which most countries are signatories to but not all. Not knowing the law in the Mideast it may well be possible for pilots to decide what they will and will not carry but that is not the case in the United States or for aircraft traveling into the United States. When I return from Washington, DC later this week I'll look up the UN Treaty and cite it for you.

Clearly there are many that don't understand the law (including many airlines) but that doesn't change the fact that it is not permissible to transport the lithium-ion batteries used by the Segway aboard any passenger carrying aircraft here in the United States or on aircraft traveling in and out of the United States. Obviously it happens but it's not legal.

As I have said before on many occasions, at the moment the airlines will take your word as to whether or not your Segway has lithium ion or nickel metal batteries.

The moment that they discover that there are some who are fraudulently representing their Segways as having transportable nickel metal batteries will not only spell trouble for the individual but also for those of us who travel frequently using our Segways. In all probability we will then have to remove our batteries so that they can determine that they are indeed nickel metal as opposed to lithium-ion since there is no identification on the outside of the battery casing.

This is an issue which we follow very closely and speak with Segway about on a frequent basis because the i2 does not yet have nickel metal batteries which can be used with it which renders it obsolete for our constituency who travel.
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #20
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadSquad View Post
As much as I would love for all of this to be true it is simply incorrect.

There is a difference between being ignorant of the law and doing something that seems reasonable and knowing the law then just choosing to break it.....
Sorry but in this case you are incorrect. Our last four (4) shipments have come in on passenger aircraft, including the delivery we got today.

I just looked at the Airway Bills and each of them has typed on it, "O.K. Passenger Aircraft".

I also just looked at the Shipper's Declaration of Dangerous Goods (that document is produced by Segway) and in the Transport Details block it says: "This shipment is within the limitations prescribed for Passenger and Cargo Aircraft" (in this block you cross out that which does not apply, nothing is crossed out)

Late last week I met with the Sky Cargo folks of Emirates Airlines, they confirmed that the pilot has the ultimate say in shipping and that Li-Ions can fly on passenger aircraft.

Since these flights originate in the US they must comply with US regulations and, therefore, one can surmise that the US regulations have been amended.

As I mentioned previously, this cargo has come by Air France, Lufthansa, and Emirates and all have traversed Europe in some way (France, Germany, and Amsterdam) on their way here. This means they also have to comply with EU regulations, which again, means we can surmise the rules have changed.

Finally, these goods are shipped by Segway's standard shipper, who previously sent everything by cargo aircraft. Since we are now using Pax air, all the paperwork (Segway's and Transgroup's) say it is ok, and the airlines say it is ok, then it must be ok.

Of course, that doesn't mean that a personal unit can be shipped, only that these cargo shipments are ok. However, if I were a betting man (and I am), I'd be willing to bet that this is a "one size fits all" issue.

Good news for you and your constituency, now let's see everybody go out and buy the i2!

Steven