SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
h_s
h_s is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Left Segway i2 Uncharged, Swapped Batteries now E042 Error

Hello,

I left my Segway i2 (with around 200 miles) unplugged for eight months or so. (I now know that was a bad idea.) I then tried to plug it in but the rear battery gave a red light. I read on a forum that unplugging it and plugging it in may make that go away, as well as leaving it charging for a day. I got the red light to go away but the rear battery would still not charge. I swapped the batteries and now I am able to turn the Segway on but I get the E042 error. What do you recommend doing for my next steps? Would a new battery solve the issue?

Thank you in advance.
h_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
DCTenor1
DCTenor1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

That happened to me after I left it unplugged for the winter. I took it to the closest dealer and paid something like $250 for them to recondition the battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DCTenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:32 AM   #3
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTenor1 View Post
That happened to me after I left it unplugged for the winter. I took it to the closest dealer and paid something like $250 for them to recondition the battery.
MTO battery had recommended that I keep my I2 plugged in and on a timer. I have done so and the timer is enabled for about two hrs a day. This is my backup segway, do it hasn't been used for about 6 weeks. Anybody have any feedback or thoughts about how not using the segway for a length of time and having it left in this condition (charging for about 2 hrs a day) will impact the battery functionality ?
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_s View Post
Hello,

I left my Segway i2 (with around 200 miles) unplugged for eight months or so. (I now know that was a bad idea.) I then tried to plug it in but the rear battery gave a red light. I read on a forum that unplugging it and plugging it in may make that go away, as well as leaving it charging for a day. I got the red light to go away but the rear battery would still not charge. I swapped the batteries and now I am able to turn the Segway on but I get the E042 error. What do you recommend doing for my next steps? Would a new battery solve the issue?

Thank you in advance.
We have a battery reconditioner that may resolve this issue for you. I have attached a link below. You can either rent it for $150 or purchase it for $625. If you have any questions feel free to call us at 717-751-2705
http://www.mtobattery.com/product-ca...reconditioner/
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
MTOBATTERY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
MTO battery had recommended that I keep my I2 plugged in and on a timer. I have done so and the timer is enabled for about two hrs a day. This is my backup segway, do it hasn't been used for about 6 weeks. Anybody have any feedback or thoughts about how not using the segway for a length of time and having it left in this condition (charging for about 2 hrs a day) will impact the battery functionality ?
Hi! I can tell you from my dealings over the years the more the Segway is used the better success you will have with the batteries. Batteries that are stored on the charger at full voltage will degrade faster than a battery stored at a lower voltage/charge level. I have also noted the internal impedance of the batteries increases after long periods of charging without use. I am unsure of your circumstances but if you can cycle the "backup" unit into use 1-2 days a month it will certainly be a long term benefit to the battery health. Take care.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #6
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
Hi! I can tell you from my dealings over the years the more the Segway is used the better success you will have with the batteries. Batteries that are stored on the charger at full voltage will degrade faster than a battery stored at a lower voltage/charge level. I have also noted the internal impedance of the batteries increases after long periods of charging without use. I am unsure of your circumstances but if you can cycle the "backup" unit into use 1-2 days a month it will certainly be a long term benefit to the battery health. Take care.
Great, I can do that. Thank you very much !
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Sounds like an excellent opportunity to develop and offer a long term storage charger that would automatically cycle the batteries once every 10 days, as well as charge them for a few hours each day...maybe even keep them at a non-peak charge level until the user pushes a button to peak them off a couple of hours before use...
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
MTOBATTERY

I have no time to do this presently but its definitely a good idea.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #9
JoostI2
JoostI2 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Wen your batteries are dead you can try to connect de carchger from e electric scooter to charger it to the low cutoff level and a little bit above. It save you a lot of money
JoostI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
We have a battery reconditioner that may resolve this issue for you. I have attached a link below. You can either rent it for $150 or purchase it for $625. If you have any questions feel free to call us at 717-751-2705
http://www.mtobattery.com/product-ca...reconditioner/
I just bookmarked your website. My i2 has a dead battery, but I don't know how to replace it. I'd need to pay someone to stop by and do that.

But I'll likely buy one from you this or early next year for sure.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, e042, i2