SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Default New Segway S-Pod Product

Segway announces a new "S-Pod" prototype/product at CES. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/s...veal-features/

References to the new product were previously posted in the Segway Chat "news" section, but this article is in English and includes a photo.

The new prototype appears to be a production-intent version of Project PUMA, from 2009. (long lead time, wot?)

Here is a photo of (former) Segway senior controls engineer, Michael Gansler, demonstrating the PUMA in New York City during the 2009 Auto Show. I worked closely with Mike on development of the Gen 2 LeanSteer technology, and just a tiny bit on the PUMA.

http://ec.i.uol.com.br/album/puma_ge...s_gm_f_019.jpg

I wonder whether S-Pod will be the commercial success that Gen 1/2 did not achieve? The fundamental similarity to the floater chairs seen in the movie "Wall-E" cannot be ignored.

Last edited by Civicsman; 01-05-2020 at 02:11 PM..
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Me sitting in the P.U.M.A.

Yes, this is a long lead time to get the P.U.M.A. and EN-V concepts to market.

It sure looks cool, and not unlike a prototype that Toyota showed off a few years ago.

In terms of using it, well it sure goes fast, so I wonder if it has a seat belt, and what policies will arise around helmet use?

I am fairly familiar with the many and varied original EPAMD laws in USA, and most of these defined the device as something one person stands on and had a steering column. If I recall correctly, some laws have been updated to remove the requirement of a steering column, and some allow 1 or more wheels (rather than 2 non-tandem wheels), but whether the "standing" requirement has been changed in any of them, I do not know?

Anyway, I'll post a couple of photos of the prototype P.U.M.A. that I took in September 2019.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
transitauthority
transitauthority is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default S-Pod is amazing!

This is an amazing new vehicle! It’s funny to hear the Wall-E references, as if a person cruising through a city downtown at 20 mph - seated in a motorized vehicle is the problem! It’s not. The problem is traveling through these areas with 3 or more EMPTY seats going along for the ride, thus WASTING A LOT OF SPACE that could be better used for pedestrians, biking, new micromobility, and other local transit modes.

Cities currently try to offer car parking close to the user’s destination, as many people won’t walk, bike, use a scooter, or take the bus to their final destination. By moving car parking towards the edge of downtown and offering shared Segway S-Pods, downtowns will become far nicer for everyone. I expect a Segway S-Pod “Test City”, a small area for people to experience this change will help with large scale adoption.

I’ve been thinking about a similar concept. Down the road, the S-Pod could connect to a new transit system, or travel right into one’s home - for those that need it.
transitauthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
Philip

5 yr Member
Default S-Pod and never-seen-before photos to P.U.M.A. prototype

The Segway S-Pod has received good reviews across the tech media (along with some dismissive comments, of course).

Here's an article that I've just published at Segway NZ News that links to several of the better videos of the S-Pod being ridden by reporters, and associated articles.

https://segwaynz.wordpress.com/2020/...m-a-prototype/

My article also includes a selection of photographs of the original P.U.M.A. prototype that I took while visiting Segway-Ninebot's HQ in Beijing in September 2019. These include some close-up photos of parts of the device that will no doubt be of interest to many here at SegwayChat.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #5
Philip

5 yr Member
Default S-Pod article updated with more photos and links

I've updated my article on the S-Pod, adding more close-up photos of components of the P.U.M.A. along with more links to associated articles:

https://segwaynz.wordpress.com/2020/...m-a-prototype/