SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Potential Segway Camping Trip in the White Mountains of New Hampshire

I just got back from a very fun and relaxing camping weekend in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, in North Woodstock, (Near Loon Mountain) on the Kancamagus Highway.

The Camp we stay at is the Lost River Valley Campground, which is on Lost River Road (Rt 112, the Kancamagus Highway). I always wondered about that, as I never had a problem finding that river, but I digress...

I was wondering if anyone in driveable distance might want to arrange a camping and segway weekend in the mountains this summer?

The owner of the camp has an X2, and I have been going there for many years. It is a simple camp, lots of wooded sites, and some streams and a small pond for swimming (for the kids mostly) and a couple paddle boats and the like. This is a very rustic place, no pool, not much in the way of technology, and that is why I like it. For the most part, your cell service stops in the parking lot, and once you cross the wooden bridge into the wooded campground, service ends. It is wonderful to have that stop ringing.

I have not mentioned this to that camp, but I am sure we could arrange something in short order. I glode all over his several camp roads, and town is a couple miles away, (down the big mountain) and I have glode that many times as well. (Batteries need to be in pretty good shape as the down hill is first, and up hill at the end of glide, unfortunately)

One time, I did glide up the hill a couple miles (This hill is really a small mountain, several thousand feet from top to bottom, our camp is 1/2 up) and went to the touristy place near the top, a glacier gorge, lots of fun for the kids, but they have a reasonable restaurant where we could use as a destination, if we choose. Much easier on the batteries, as it is again a couple miles strait up, but at the beginning. You could arrive at the top with one bar, and by the time we glide down to the camp again, you won't have to plug in...

Very pretty, very woodsy, very casual. Pretty much, a whole lot of not much to do but relax.

If anyone is interested, make a comment.

I live about 15 to 20 miles due north of downtown Boston, and this place is just about 2 hours due north of me. Right off I -93.

Lets hear some feedback, and some proposals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

First time I bothered to read the whole post, (sorry, was rushed) I would definitely be interested in having a camping trip this summer.
What months are you thinking of.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

The invite was for those in driving distance to New Hampshire. That particular campground closes after Columbus weekend. So, sometime between now and then, I suppose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
The invite was for those in driving distance to New Hampshire. That particular campground closes after Columbus weekend. So, sometime between now and then, I suppose.
So, because I want to fly, I'm not invited?

Have fun.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
So, because I want to fly, I'm not invited?

Have fun.
No, No, NO. You are very welcome. The current crowd is two, both of us. I even have room in my camper for you, if we make this happen.

Two is a start. Anyone else? Looks like I will be driving my Class C camper thru the Manchester NH airport, on the way to the campground.

That opens it up to lots of us. Just let me know, and if we have enough, I will bring my box trailer (Fiberglass 6 x 10 ramp cargo trailer) and that can handle at least 12 segways very easily, (plus lots of camping gear) and I can tow it with the Class C camper.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
KSagal

I suppose if we are going to get into this, the campground I had in mind (with the segway owning campground owner) also has about 10 log cabins for rent in addition to the hundred or more camper and tent sites. So, if you wanted to fly in, there really is an easy way to join in, with just a suitcase full of your gear, instead of a camper full of it.

It just is not a first thought for me to consider flying with my segway (It is kind of a pain because of the batteries) nor flying to a camp outing, but I guess you can ship the segway and rent a camper as well, if you make the arrangements.

I guess I am just too cheap. I think of the camping outings as a cost efficient kind of weekend.

Don't get me wrong, but if I am going to spend the money to fly, to ship the segway, to rent transportation, and spend all that money for one weekend, it would not likely be to just sit in the woods. I can do all that out behind my rear fence for free.

However, for the cost of a tank of gas, and the potential for some fun glides and good company, with the occasional burger, I am in.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Good to hear!

If I come, I'll be bringing a couple segways, some fun stuff and a few high powered lights!

Hard part is the segways but if I can dismantle them up to the handlebar, I should be good to go, and I'll ship the batts.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Good to hear!

If I come, I'll be bringing a couple segways, some fun stuff and a few high powered lights!

Hard part is the segways but if I can dismantle them up to the handlebar, I should be good to go, and I'll ship the batts.
Hrm… You might not be able to take a Segway on a plane with no batteries. Last time I checked if you didn't have batteries installed or the installed batteries were Lithium they would not take the seg…

Hope everyone has a great time, I'm jealous!

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Hrm… You might not be able to take a Segway on a plane with no batteries. Last time I checked if you didn't have batteries installed or the installed batteries were Lithium they would not take the seg…

Hope everyone has a great time, I'm jealous!
The lean steer and platform can go in a suitcase for each Seg.
Batteries will be shipped.
Fenders will be carryon.

I'm sorry for you, was hoping a group glide or camping trip was in the works within the Az, Nv, Or, Nm, and Utah areas...

Last edited by Tritium; 07-21-2013 at 05:13 AM..
Old 07-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Did I stupidly forget California from the list?