SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member
Default rental idea...and seattle owners...

okay-

in seattle we have the burke gilman trail, it's a multi-use trail that everyone can use, even segways-- until this week. as per the city, the rental issue forced a quick ban on the park and trails, they can't just say one park, so they needed to hit them all and the trails are part of that.

so, we're going to meet with the city soon, or at least we hope so and find out what it will take to allow us where bikes and skates go, if that's possible.

one solution, only insured owners. that way rental places who choose to have real segway insurance that cover the rentals are fine and owners (like me, terry, etc..) who have insurance are also fine.

it's not ideal, but i'm thinking that this might be a solution if we meet them and they're worried about liability.

just a thought.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:10 PM   #2
Blinky
Blinky

5 yr Member

What would be an easy way for park officials to check insurance papers?

Its not a bad idea, there has to be a way to work with the responsible owners in Seattle.

edit: post was edited

Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:13 PM   #3
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

well-

let's put it this way, if you're on a segway on the trail as of now-- they're going to stop you... so this way, they can say "okay, you're fine" or warn you / ticket you if you don't carry the insurance.

it's not quite fair, bicylists and skaters do not need to carry their insurance cards, but we might need to think this way we if want to use the burke trails we used to be able to.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:
Old 06-03-2003, 11:43 PM   #4
Balance
Balance

5 yr Member

Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.

They could also set speed limits (all the time or better yet...just when the trails are congested.) To lessen the impact of rentals, it might make sense to set rules such as Segways can't ride side by side and how close they can ride together.
Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:45 PM   #5
pt
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

balance-

can you email me directly, i'm collecting wa state owners for this effort, thanks.

i think we can win the burke back for owners.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:
Old 06-03-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
mzokc
mzokc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

State Farm issues a Segway insurance card just like the car. The HT serial number is on the card, so it could be checked easily.

Mark
mzokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:46 AM   #7
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Progressive does that too. They even sent me a plastic tag for my Segway key chain with my policy number on it!

Practicing Safe Segs in Seattle
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:24 AM   #8
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Good luck folks. This is really bad for you guys.

How are all those Seattle Meter readers going to get around?

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:29 AM   #9
pt
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

bruce-

there are not any meters in the parks or on the burke-gilman trail :-]

i think what we are about to do explore will be some great learning, i'm looking forward to it.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:
Old 06-04-2003, 03:32 AM   #10
whistler
whistler

5 yr Member

Maybe hiring a guy to run along the trails in front of any Segway rider, waving a flag and

yelling "Danger... Danger... Segway coming through!!!", might be a feasable answer to

reversing the ban... after all that's what was required in some places when the first

automobiles were driven... and they too didn't require registeration or liscensing or

insurance at first.
There seems to be a pattern here.......... and people are falling right in line with what

"Somebody else" is requiring.
The only way to really stop this infringement on peoples rights is to make sure the Segway

is considered a "pedestrian" in ALL aspects... and not a "motorized vehicle"... then NOBODY

should be able to ban it as an "electric scooter" or "motorized vehicle"...then anyone with

a Segway could and should be able to go anywhere they might want to go if they were walking.
It's really the only way.............. to be allowed to use Segways... now and in the future

when there are thousands in every city. Kamen knew this... that's why he started at the

state level... soooooooooooo.... go back to the STATE level and get them to require cities

and parks to consider Segway a "pedestrian".......... problem solved! If they then ban

Segway from a trail or sidewalk (and yes even inside buildings such as shopping malls), they

will also be banning walkers.... and that won't last long...............
Also remember........ bans can be reversed........ they are NOT permanent.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote