SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
rvparker
rvparker is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default What about insurance?

As a new Segway I want to at least get some insurance to cover the machine if it were ever stolen. But what about some type of liability insurance -- the Segway equivalent of collision insurance on a car? Does anyone have any suggestions about it? My agent offered to call Progressive for a quote, but I don't know if they offer coverage for Segways in particular or just a general policy. Any suggestions?
rvparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
BarryT
BarryT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You can go online to progressive and you can tweak your quote to include or exclude as much coverage as you like. It takes about 5 minutes to complete, then they will emial it directly to you for you to ponder.

I don't remember the exact steps but at one point you pick motorcycle (when you don't see segway) and then the segway falls under that umbrella for inputing more info - year, model, etc.
BarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Rusty Hemenway
Rusty Hemenway is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segway Insurance

I spoke with my insurance company, USAA, and they said it was covered under my Homeowners policy, unless I rode it on the roadway (sidewalks ok)
Rusty Hemenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default State Farm too...

Theft & Liability: about $70 per year. I also have my car insurance with them.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
MzSegwayofHawaii
MzSegwayofHawaii is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Progressive is the best

So one of my employees went through progressive since they now cover segways. he pays $700.00 a year and thats for full coverage so if it gets stolen, he pays a deductible and they'll replace the entire unit!!!!

Best way to go.

In a world FULL of cheerios, be a fruit loop!
Save gas, ride a Segway!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MzSegwayofHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
dionysus
dionysus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default $700 is high!

Of course rates can vary drastically depending on credit, location, and chosen coverage. Progressive is the only one I know of that specifically covers SEGWAY where they spell it out. I would be leary when you get the answer of "it should be covered under your homeowners' insurance if you don't ride on roads" as I would think that leaves them a lot of wiggle room to get out of paying a claim, that's just my opinion.

It is under the motorcycle umbrella and then you must choose "off road use" to get it to go through. It then allows you to customize what liability, comprehensive (theft), and collision (damage) you desire and what $ amounts. This is all possible directly on their website. I have a full boat:

1. Liability (I think $25K per person, $50K total per accident, $10K property damage).
2. Comprehensive (theft) - $100 deductible full replacement if it's stolen. Including $3K coverage for accessories.
3. Collision (damage) - $100 deductible full replacement.

This is on 2 i2's for a total of $150 each or $300 total per year. I live in Portland, OR - in the city.

Hope that helps!
dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSegwayofHawaii View Post
So one of my employees went through progressive since they now cover segways. he pays $700.00 a year and thats for full coverage so if it gets stolen, he pays a deductible and they'll replace the entire unit!!!!

Best way to go.
hmmm.
$700 a year is about what I pay for my auto with comp/colision & liability!

I've got a segway quote in hand from progressive for theft AND bodily injury AND property damage with $100 deductible for an annual premium of $101.84 (dated 7/17/08.)

No idea what he's getting that would cause them to charge him 7 times as much. I can post a copy of the quote if you like.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSegwayofHawaii View Post
So one of my employees went through progressive since they now cover segways. he pays $700.00 a year and thats for full coverage so if it gets stolen, he pays a deductible and they'll replace the entire unit!!!!Best way to go.
Well, compared to my $70 per year for the same coverage, that seems ridiculous. How do they justify such a premium? I pay less to insure my RV!! And 7 years of premiums would pay for a whole new machine.

NOT the best way to go...
Old 08-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
PeteInLongBeach

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
Progressive is the only one I know of that specifically covers SEGWAY where they spell it out.
My State Farm policy spells it out. Now you know two.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
rvparker
rvparker is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Thanks!

This is all really good information. I'm finding out really quickly that this forum is a great resource. Thanks for the responses.
rvparker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coverage, insurance, liability, theft