SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
ray071295
ray071295 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Hello From Ray071295 in Phx AZ

I am joining this forum because i just got stopped by a cop and wanna found out my laws. i am riding down the sidewalk (against traffic) and as always. cars pull out on the sidewalk (from driveways (stores, gas stations, etc.)) instead of looking first, includiing the cop that pulled me over. I know i am wrong by gesturing (not rudely) to let them know they are wrong. I believe I am bound by the same laws as a pedestrian. The cop puls me over and starts yelling at me about how the drivers are right and i am wrong as i am not supposed to have my segway on the sidewalk. Arizona allows it on the sidewalk. I now know it is not my job to know the statute number. I am frustrated and discouraged that these people pull out like they do and to have a cop do the same hing and then pull me over and yell at me for it...
i was traveling at probaly 9-11 mph and am curious what my rights are and do i have to prove them to the cops? what laws am i bound by? bicycles? pedestians? where can i find these laws?
ray071295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Striker
Striker is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default AZ

Ray, I am also in Phoenix and fairly new to Segway. Just bought my first i2 3 months ago. I ride 4 or 5 miles to work a few times a week.

I'm not sure AZ laws regarding Segways, I ride by a cop sitting in a parking lot every morning. Maybe he is asleep, not sure. I can tell you in the 3 months I've owned one. I had had a few close calls. Mostly at intersections as I'm crossing the street cars turn in front of you.

I teach advanced motorcycling, so have lots of experience on 2 wheels. I'll tell you that you have to be extra vigilant no matter if you're on the sidewalk or street in bike lane. Statistically speaking as a motorcycling instructor, intersections are your number one accident place. Cagers (that's what we in motorcycling community call people in cars) cagers entering your right of way. Seems to be the same on a Segway. More than a few times I've had cars turn left in front of me, not noticing me as I'm crossing the street in a crosswalk. Driveways would be similar. Anywhere someone can enter youre right of way.

You have to be careful with cagers, you can't out run them and we'll never win a battle with them.

My main reason for getting the Segways was so I could take a conference call on my way to work in the morning. However I don't ever let my guard down espically at intersections and driveways. be aware of what's happing around you.

Good gliding and enjoy. in the fews months I've had mine, I've really enjoyed it. Even in these 115 degree days. maybe we'll see you out there some time.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default The State Laws are on Segway's Website

http://www.segway.com/support/regulatory.php

Here is AZ's:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext.../laws/0007.htm
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Striker
Striker is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Excellent information to have.

thanks