SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking Things we ought not discuss! Why??

OK, fellow SC members, I have not spoken a whole lot lately for a variety of reasons. One of these reasons being that I have not found a whole lot of discussion in which I can partake. But I have noticed a trend in the past that I though ought be discussed. You see, many here, on occasion, talk politics and on occasion get attacked.

I was asked to create a discussion on anything I wanted for college and decided to discuss the topic of ignorance in politics and religion. I figured the general topic went well with SC as well and I may get negative rep for this, but it is only aimed at those that cannot have a constructive political conversation, you know who you are. There are also many here who can disagree but yet still hold a constructive conversation and this is not aimed at you. So here you go, my assignment, read and enjoy:

So I was sitting on my bed just thinking of how goofy it was that I created an assignment and yet failed at the utmost to follow through myself. Luckily, Tuesday has not come or gone yet so I still have time!!! My discussion topic today is ignorance of politics and religion. This may be a very hot button post to some but to others it may not. I am not talking about the countless ignorant politicians nor the ignorance of leaders in many churches, that is for another time and another place. What I am referring to is the ignorance of people around these topics. There was a time when the three things you never talk about were religion, sex, and politics. Sex was kind of phased out of the group leaving religion and politics.

So why is it that we cannot talk about these two subjects? It is because we, as a society have become too darn ignorant to let others talk without beating them down. People don't want to talk about it for fear someone will get offended and take it from a casual discussion to a verbal assault. That is just ignorant. Why can't we talk about these things and yet maintain it in a constructive way. Why do we, as a society, have to think we're right so darn much that we cannot respect or allow a different view or opinion. Let me tell you, on both of these topics, no matter how right you think you are, you are not right in your belief. The reason is because there is not a right or wrong in politics or religion. People with conflicting views in these topics feel just as strongly as you do, therefore there is not a right and there is not a wrong so you, my friend are not right.

I was born Catholic, I later converted to United Church of Christ when my mom was banned from catholic churches in WI by the bishop at the time. The reason she was banned was due to her being a lesbian, which, by the pope's standards, deserves to be beaten and cannot worship in a catholic church. My uncle converted to muslim. My grandma has not spoken to him since. I enjoy talking about religion with my uncle because he knows not to push me to convert and I know the same of him. This way we both learn from each other. Why can't others do the same? Because people are too set in their ways to think that any other way could be worthy of their time. Well, America, congratulations, we are the most arrogant nation on earth! Why? Because we have the great freedom to talk about whatever we want, but we took that freedom away from ourselves out of sheer ignorance.

On to politics. Throughout my life I have been very involved in politics. I have worked on several local campaigns and am now working on the Obama campaign. I have been to D.C. a number of times, spoken in front of congress, and spoken with specific members of congress more times than I can count. I am not afraid to talk politics with anyone, whether you will dislike me because of it, I do not much care. But I see a trend. People want their kids to vote, yet don't want to talk about politics. This does our country harm, because you are creating uneducated voters. Failing to allow others to talk about the issue only promotes idiocracy surrounding the issue. This is why the presidency is often not on politics, but popularity, which at times are the same, at times not. In my opinion, this wave of uneducated voting is why George W. Bush is in office in the first place, but that's my opinion. Either way, we are doing our country a great disservice to ban these such topics. Many people do not take their vote seriously, but in essence the president is who can make or break our country. By living in this mentality you are re-inforcing the thought that a vote is a dispensable thing, which it is not.

So, in conclusion, I urge you to set down your ignorance and freely discuss these issues, but at the same time allow others to discuss them, because to do otherwise would be to kill the very freedoms you very much so enjoy. Embrace your views but allow others. Maybe in turn you will find that people are more accepting of your beliefs as well. Somehow the old saying treat others as you would like to be treated has come to not apply to the topics of politics and relgion. Your views are accepted by me, although you may not change my beliefs, I would expect the same of you. Thanks and have a great day!!!

Jeremy Ryan

So on a side note, if you feel this deserves negative rep, go ahead, but to issue negative rep for such a thing would just prove the same ignorance I am speaking of. I am urging everyone to drop the hat and start approaching these issues whether the same or different than you with an open mind, it will make for a better world and a better forum.