SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #1
CallMeBoB
CallMeBoB is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Exclamation I need some advice

Hello there ladies and gentlemen, I've recently received a Segway X1 from my work because it is broken. It has only been used for one day, inside a gymhall, when somebody crashed it and it broke. The condition right now isn't visually too bad. The steering pin is tilted a little to the left when in upright position, and it can't turn on (even after being charged). Furthermore when the Segway is turned off, is it supposed to be in balance? Or is it normal that the steering tilts forward slamming the ground when a Segway is turned off? - If not, is this a common problem, and do you think it's fixable to the extend where it could be driving again?

Kind regards,
Sebastian
CallMeBoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
CROSSBOLT
CROSSBOLT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I am the least qualified to advise technically but can assist you on a couple of points. No Segway will balance when turned off. All gyros quit when turned off and the platform with handle slam to the first thing in the way! These things are cranky about contact so remove and inspect each battery pack and mating plug for damage. Correct if necessary. Handle leaning left could be because it is bent from impact. That can be fixed if really necessary. Make sure the shaft for the handle is not bent which could be a control problem if it is bent.

Karl
CROSSBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBoB View Post
Hello there ladies and gentlemen, I've recently received a Segway X1 from my work because it is broken. It has only been used for one day, inside a gymhall, when somebody crashed it and it broke. The condition right now isn't visually too bad. The steering pin is tilted a little to the left when in upright position, and it can't turn on (even after being charged). Furthermore when the Segway is turned off, is it supposed to be in balance? Or is it normal that the steering tilts forward slamming the ground when a Segway is turned off? - If not, is this a common problem, and do you think it's fixable to the extend where it could be driving again?

Kind regards,
Sebastian
I think you have an X2? or an i2?...Either way even when powered up they are not self balancing.....You turn it on listen to servos kick in then place a foot on a pad....Then have faith it will balance you.(the hardest part).
When fully charged the two lights between your leggs will flash green, when charging those lights are red.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBoB View Post
Hello there ladies and gentlemen, I've recently received a Segway X1 from my work .....
and it can't turn on (even after being charged).
OK, let's first figure out what you have.

1. What does the "key" look like. The device you use to turn it on?
2. What (if anything) does it say on the fenders?
3. How wide are the tires (approximately)?

4. How are you trying to turn it on?
5. What exactly happens when you try to turn it on?

Perhaps more questions to follow, after these are answered.
Oh, and I'm just curious - why are you concerned with what happens "when you turn it off", when you can't turn it on yet?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Bob,

It would be useful if you would go to www.segway.com and read the user manual and other documentation.

If the Seg crashed hard enough to bend the (sturdy) LeanSteer bar (assuming you really have an X2, it is possible that the LeanSteer mechanism (at the bottom of the bar) has been damaged.

If the batteries charge and the LED's turn green, it is likely that the batteries (and charging circuits) are OK, and batteries are the most expensive parts in the Seg. The motors are also most likely OK. As you are not skilled with Segs, I'd suggest taking it to a dealer (if there is one on Denmark!) Maybe you can find another owner nearby in Denmark who will help.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #6
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Sometimes I wonder why we try.

CallMeBob posts a request for advice at 4:09 AM (my local time) on September 12th.

Several of us provide helpful comments. It's now the 15th.

CallMeBob: Last Activity: 09-12-2017 04:42 AM
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
CROSSBOLT
CROSSBOLT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

That's the way it goes, Dale. Same way on other tech forums. Noobee hollars, "HELP!" We listen, offer a solution, silence. Or worse: ya make a suggestion and the helpee decides to throw parts at the problem, often in some unrelated area. Chill, most on here seem to be reasonable people.

Karl
CROSSBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #8
CallMeBoB

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
OK, let's first figure out what you have.

1. What does the "key" look like. The device you use to turn it on?
2. What (if anything) does it say on the fenders?
3. How wide are the tires (approximately)?

4. How are you trying to turn it on?
5. What exactly happens when you try to turn it on?

Perhaps more questions to follow, after these are answered.
Oh, and I'm just curious - why are you concerned with what happens "when you turn it off", when you can't turn it on yet?
Hey Dale, I'm sorry to read I've dissapointed you. I'm currently a engineering student, and I'm dealing with a lot of personal stuff at the moment too, so I don't have much time on my hands. But I'll answer the questions and if you feel like still helping I'd feel obliged.

First of all it's an I2 model not the X2, sorry.

1. I don't know anything about a key. I received it with two drivingcomputers and a key for the lock which looks pretty much like a bikelock.
2. Says Segway on the fenders.
3. Thin tires not that wide probably 7-10 cm.
4. & 5. My thought was turning on the device would happen through the drivingcomputer, I really don't know a lot about Segways. As of now I've tried charging it, and it will either go flickering between a red light or green light, and even sometimes stop charging even when plugged in. It seems like the powerinput on the Segway is a little loose, since it's possible to "wiggle" the charger up and down when it's plugged in.

I'll be getting some tools from my university this coming week so I can get under the hood and into the batteries and charging input.

Kind regards
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #9
CallMeBoB

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Bob,

It would be useful if you would go to x and read the user manual and other documentation.

If the Seg crashed hard enough to bend the (sturdy) LeanSteer bar (assuming you really have an X2, it is possible that the LeanSteer mechanism (at the bottom of the bar) has been damaged.

If the batteries charge and the LED's turn green, it is likely that the batteries (and charging circuits) are OK, and batteries are the most expensive parts in the Seg. The motors are also most likely OK. As you are not skilled with Segs, I'd suggest taking it to a dealer (if there is one on Denmark!) Maybe you can find another owner nearby in Denmark who will help.
Hello Civicsman, thank for answering! As I've told Dale too, the light will flicker when charged, either between green or redlight, or even stop charging. But the charging input on the Segway seems loose.

It seems a possibility that the LeanSteer mechanism might be damaged. When trying to operate the LeanSteer bar, it will act on a spring when tilted in both direction and will end up in the same position (tilted right). I'd like to give you a picture but I'm not allowed to with a low amount of posts

Kind regards
Old 09-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

OK

Now we are getting somewhere.
If the Lean Steer is off center, it is a simple matter to reset.
Loosen the bolt, center the lean steer, gently tighten the bolt, wiggle the lean steer a few times, and tighten the bolt a bit more each time.

If either the platform is leaned substantially back or forward, or the leansteer is substantially off center, the Segway will not start.
It has to be roughly in the right attitude to start.

Does this assist ?

Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote