SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Quoting more than one reply

This is just to help some of you understand one of the features of the forum software used here. I noticed that a number of you post several replies to a thread in succession, quoting the person you are replying to in each. You may not be aware that the software allows you to quote as many people as you like in a single reply with very little effort.

Most of you are familiar with the message reply buttons in the lower-right of each message. Some of you may not be aware of what the middle button is.

That's called the Multi-Quote button. In each of the messages you want to quote from, just click the Multi-Quote button - you can click as many as you want and you can click the buttons on multiple pages of a thread - the button turns red.

When you have clicked all of the Multi-Quote buttons in the messages you want to quote, then click either the big Reply button at the top or bottom of each page, or click the Quote button in one of the messages you want to reply to (instead of clicking the last Multi-Quote button, you can click the Quote button in that message). If you click a Multi-Quote button you didn't mean to, or changed your mind, you can click it again and it will revert to it's original state and will not be quoted.

When the message composition editor opens up, you will find all of the messages you wanted to quote already formatted in the editor. There will be a space under each for you to add your comments concerning each message you are quoting (it is easier to read and understand if you remove those parts of the quoted message that do not pertain to your reply - just don't remove any parts of the [QUOTE] or [/QUOTE] tags).

This is just one of the many features available to users of this forum software. You don't have to use it, but if you think this will help you compose your replies better, I am happy to have introduced you to the feature.

Enjoy and post often.

Jim, a Segway gliding webmaster and forum operator
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Cool!

Thanks.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
This is just to help some of you understand one of the features of the forum software used here. I noticed that a number of you post several replies to a thread in succession, quoting the person you are replying to in each. You may not be aware that the software allows you to quote as many people as you like in a single reply with very little effort.

Most of you are familiar with the message reply buttons in the lower-right of each message. Some of you may not be aware of what the middle button is.

That's called the Multi-Quote button. In each of the messages you want to quote from, just click the Multi-Quote button - you can click as many as you want and you can click the buttons on multiple pages of a thread - the button turns red.

When you have clicked all of the Multi-Quote buttons in the messages you want to quote, then click either the big Reply button at the top or bottom of each page, or click the Quote button in one of the messages you want to reply to (instead of clicking the last Multi-Quote button, you can click the Quote button in that message). If you click a Multi-Quote button you didn't mean to, or changed your mind, you can click it again and it will revert to it's original state and will not be quoted.

When the message composition editor opens up, you will find all of the messages you wanted to quote already formatted in the editor. There will be a space under each for you to add your comments concerning each message you are quoting (it is easier to read and understand if you remove those parts of the quoted message that do not pertain to your reply - just don't remove any parts of the tags).

This is just one of the many features available to users of this forum software. You don't have to use it, but if you think this will help you compose your replies better, I am happy to have introduced you to the feature.

Enjoy and post often.

Jim, a Segway gliding webmaster and forum operator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Cool!

Thanks.
It works! That's great. I always wondered what that little button did. I always achieved the same effect long hand by manually editing the tags.

I guess it doesn't help people in threaded mode though.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Cool!

Thanks.
You're welcome, my pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I guess it doesn't help people in threaded mode though.
Yes, it does. I have multi-quoted these 2 messages in threaded mode.

Best R'gards,

Jim
Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Jim, does this feature work if you want to quote something said on another thread?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Jeremy,

The feature is meant to be used in the originating thread. However, you can click a quote (or multi-quote) button for any message you want, copy the resultant code and text, then paste it into a message anywhere else you want - this forum or even some other website. However, the code used to indicate the original location of the quoted message, including the little graphic, will not work on another non-vBulletin forum. If it's a vBulletin forum (referring to the forum software), the graphic that forum uses will show and the link will lead to a thread and post with the same ID number on that forum, or to a 404 error (page not found).

But yes, you can copy and paste the quote to some other thread on the same forum. You might just want to copy a portion of text by highlighting it and press the keyboard combo, Ctrl+C, then go to another thread and paste the text into a message there by pressing Ctrl+V. Wrap the [quote][/quote] tags around it to finish formatting it in a quote box (or just use the old-school " and " punctuation).

Jim