SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #71
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
That's probably the closest I've ever come to drifting, eh? Bet you didn't know you could do that on your segway!
I know it's possible. I've seen those crazy videos of the guys doing it on ice and wet concrete. Yeah. Doable but of marginal utility since one (ok me) rarely encounters such predictable surfaces on one's (again me) daily commute. Still the skill required is pretty impressive.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #72
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
I know it's possible. I've seen those crazy videos of the guys doing it on ice and wet concrete. Yeah. Doable but of marginal utility since one (ok me) rarely encounters such predictable surfaces on one's (again me) daily commute. Still the skill required is pretty impressive.
When drifting on a segway, I prefer the sand path to the wet field/concrete. For some reason, it just feels more predictable (and maybe there's more audible feedback during the process).
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:57 AM   #73
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
When drifting on a segway, I prefer the sand path to the wet field/concrete. For some reason, it just feels more predictable (and maybe there's more audible feedback during the process).
More predictable? No, you just mean the "landing area" is softer

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #74
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Mike Duell has some pretty impressive videos of i2 drifting. I will dig them up.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #75
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
All persons born in the United States.

Mamma and Pappa (c'mon, let's be honest... when we start talking "illegal alien," we're really saying/thinking: "Mexican") might not be in this country legally.

No, that's not what I was thinking. While there are a large percentage of Mexican nationals, there are many others from other Central and South Americal countries. The Mexican border is pathetically unenforced, so many enter there, but that is not the only avenue into this country. Take a look at Florida, only 90 miles from Cuba, and the number of "boat people" we have here.

But if they have a child while in the United States, unless that child is born on the grounds of their country's embassy (an embassy being considered "native soil" to that embassy's home country), that child is, by birth, a United States citizen. Precisely what I said.

As for what entitlements Mamma and Pappa might receive, if any, I point out that you refer to statute limiting entitlements; the Constitution has no such limitation, except deferring to statute. However, those statutes are not absolute - with just a bang of a gavel, a judge (although I would think it would have to be a federal judge) can invalidate any and all statutes and grant any immigrant immediate refugee status, if they so desire.

No, they can't. Especially if they want to retain their judicial position. And there is no need to invalidate anything -- as I said, the laws already exist to grant asylum status for those who qualify as legimate refugees.

"Illegal aliens" is nothing more than this year's election campaign wedge issue. Two and four years ago, it was the horrible spectre of thousands upon thousands of homosexuals setting up shop in the suburbs. Two years from now, it'll be something else.

It may be this year's election campaign issue to you -- it is an ongoing drain on this country's resources that I and other taxpayers have to provide -- year after year after year. Quite frankly, I would like to see an amendment to the Constitution that would change that absolute guarantee of citizenship granted to those born in the US to one where the mother would have to be in the country legally for the child to receive citizenship. It would reduce the numbers of expectant mothers risking their lives in late pregnancy to enter the country illegally, just for the purpose of gaining citizenship status for the child.

To me the big issue isn't uneducated, untrained people coming to this country to take unskilled laborer jobs. To me, the big issue is the high paying, technically advanced jobs being moved to India and China, were corporations can pay wages that, in this country, would be illegal.
I agree that outsourcing jobs IS a problem -- in fact is is several problems!
First of all, why are those people willing to accept those wages? Could it be the fact that they are receiving (in their economy) a magnificent salary, that their friends and family envy? Might that be some incentive to them?

Secondly, why would the corporations' wages be illegal in the US? Could that have something to do with the fact that the Minimum Wage laws keep going up and up, but the "minimum competency" keeps going down and down??

See an example of our fine educational system:

I rest my case!!
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #76
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I see an example of fine genetics.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #77
X-man
X-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Location: As a full time RVer, I'm on a road somewhere in the west
5 yr Member

It seems as though my old fried Sal brought my philosophy into play on this thread. I thought I should add a word about what that is all about.
I have COPD and for that reason I have a disability decal on my machine. While it is true I promote safe and sane riding, it affects me more than the rest of you. Simply put, I don't want to be denied my chance to see things that would be extremely hard without the mobility it provides.
My machine has been to many places that the majority of you cannot take yours. For that reason, simply stated, I try to be as best ambassador as possible to make it easier for the rest of you to follow on those paths.
If any of you want to play polo, jump down flights of stairs, etc., that is your choice.
And yes, I have been asked to leave a mall but I'm still ornery. I left by the farthest exit I could find. I have however ridden mine through Carlsbad Cavern,, the trail on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, up the trail of the Tonto National Monument, through many, many zoos and many more places you could never imagine and there are many more places to come.
I need my machine to get around and I chose to follow my own methodology of how to utilize my Segway. What you do is your business but in the meantime, you glide your way and I will glide mine. I do not dictate the actions of others but rather just use common sense.

Help keep the streets safe, support your local velodrome
X-man is offline   Reply With Quote