SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #21
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The most intimidating thing I own is... ME. I use tools when appropriate, to get whatever job at hand needs to get done.

I maintain that many an injury can turn into a fatality, if the tools at hand are too aggressive.

If you shoot a squirrel with a deer slug, the squirrel will be no more dead than if you use a pellet gun.

If you dissuade an idiot who chose to try to victimize you with a club, then the response will be warrented. If you kill him, then he is dead, and you have to live the rest of your life knowing that you killed him for acting like he was, an idiot. I believe that disrespecting a person is a bad thing, but not as bad a as glock may deliver.

Back in the days of my relative youth, I always had a 5 cell Brinkman or Maglight black alumium flashlight between my seat and the door. I did hop out of that old Mopar a time or two with it...

Now, and for the last 10 or 12 years, I have had the same 18 inch piece of 2 by 2 oak sitting between my door and the seat. I have only had it with me once or twice as I hopped out.

No times did I raise these tools. Most times keeping your eyes about you, and your awareness up will serve you well...

I have yet to meet the mugger or would be theif who is looking for a hard situation, or a difficult event. They are looking for an easy mark, or a distracted person who can be shocked into compliance. I make it a point to broadcast that I am neither. I do not suspect that I cannot be mugged or accosted, I just am pretty good at presenting a case that there are easier targets than me, and if you go for me, you had better be ready for a very exciting time, very quickly...

I once had a person (in the army) ask me what my response would be if he hit me. (During the heat of that moment, the conversation was not quite as cordial as I am making it sound here...LOL)

I informed him that if he hit me, he had better hit me very hard, and knock me down, and be sure that I was not getting back up... Because if I did, I would come back with my car, and run him down, then, if I did not feel him under the wheels, I would back up and do it again... He said that he felt it was crazy that I would respond to a punch like that. I just looked at him, and he saw in my eyes that I was already looking for my keys...

Needless to say, he chose not to hit me that day. Or any other day for that matter...

A person's defense is usually much more in their head than in their hand, in my opinion...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #22
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
Guns don't kill people.
Rappers do!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #23
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Rappers do!
Usually due to becoming fatally nauseated.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #24
LycanFire
LycanFire is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I guess I should have left the hornet's nest alone. Some say I intimidate them. I lift weights (set a new weight record for myself last Tuesday) and have over 21 years of martial arts training. I just don't carry my Glock when I am on a glide, I carry it all of the time. Again I would not even display it unless my or someone else's life was in danger and only if there was no other way. Then I would not just display it either. If I take it out, I am going to use it.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #25
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I really have no interest in putting holes in people. A Glock, would be, pardon the pun, overkill for my needs. The only use my stunguns have actually had, is in motivating drunk a-holes to step away from me, and allow me to pass.

I dunno why, but drunk people on the boardwalk seem to be mysteriously drawn to go out of their way, and block an oncomming Segway. Like a retarded child, they will gleefully vector from the opposite side of the accessway, to do it. Groups of boozers tend to be worse.

One guy drunkenly argued with me just how strong the voltage was while I was politely asking him to step away... Apparently disbelieveing my statement of the device's specifications, he motioned for me to "zap" him in the neck, as proof. A couple loud cracks of the trigger, and the pretty blue sparks were enough to make continuing the argument moot, in his mind.

He stopped leaning into my handlebar bag and moved to the side...

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycanFire View Post
SEGsby,

I have never seen a stun gun like that. I have a couple of stun guns and I found them to be quite shocking. Yes, by mistake I got a sample of what it feels like. I was young and careless. Don't ever get caught into seeing who could take the longest hit with one.

But now I use something a little more powerful. It's called a Glock. And, yes I do have it with me when I glide, as well as most other times. If someone tried to take it from me I am sure they would have some sort of a reaction to lead poisoning. And, no I am never careless with it or display it, nor would anyone even know I had it on me.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #26
LycanFire

5 yr Member

The best defense is not to be there in the first place. You just remove yourself from most situations before they turn into situations. But in this Country we have the right to be just about anyplace we want to be when we want to be there. I don't carry stun guns or pepper spray because I have other methods of dealing with those that feel they have more of a need to show themselves in an inappropriate way.

I carry my Glock for those that want to use a more deadly force. In that case martial arts, stun guns, nor pepper spray will do you much good.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #27
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I am a firm believer of the 2nd Admendment, and also agree that one of the best deterants, is to simply go away. I completly agree with that advice, in that you should see the situation beginning to happen, and take appropriate avoidance steps, before the direct confrontation begins...

I also agree that nondeadly force is preferable to deadly force for all but the most aggregous conflicts.

There is an old saying that a Republican is an old Democrat who has been mugged. I have also heard it as a conservative is an old liberal who has been mugged. We may well be seeing yet another version, a weopons carrier is an old non-weopons carrier who has been mugged...

Any way you cut it, the secret to this whole issue is to not get mugged.

Each of us has got to protect ourselves in a manner we are comfortable, and as long as no one is advocating reckless use of these weopons, I have no problems with anyone's choice...

My only caveat is that while on a segway, we are far more in the spotlight. A simple altercation, handily dispatched is not news most of the time, be it stun gun or a roundhouse kick. Do the same on a segway, or from a segway, and it becomes news. News we may find is hurtful to the community.

Personal safety comes first, then what is good for the greater community. However, if personal saffety can be reached by a more passive approach like avoidance, or a less lethal approach, I believe they are in everyone's interest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #28
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

That is why Tasers are nice! A guy could be shooting on the street and you can shoot him back out of sheer defense and he could still fire more shots possibly killing you! If you shoot him with a Taser he cannot shoot back! Then you can steal his gun and report him while he's squirming out of literal shock!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 01-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #29
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Tasers, just like Karl's advice-- tends to suck in actual practice. The Taser is prone to self short, requires both probes to make contact, and is limited to 15 feet. Karl's advice is apparently based off purely idealistic, rather than practical life experience, I fear. Guess he's never been cut off by people who can run faster than the machine can operate. *shrugs*

And as many may have noticed; I tend not to run away from conflict. There is nothing wrong with standing up for my right to exist, on my mobility of choice.

That is what really makes America great.

SEGsby
Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #30
LycanFire

5 yr Member

I would rather have a taser or pepper spray then a stun gun. With a stun gun you have to have contact with the offending person. No thanks. Stun guns don't do anything for me, nor do they intimidate me. I guess they are better then nothing though in some cases. They are just not something I would use.

Sometimes it is just better to offer to buy/give the offending person another drink/beer. There are lots of different ways to defuse a situation. It also gives you time to evaluate the other person/s involved.
Closed Thread