SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member
Default $125 an hour

How bad does anybody want to play polo?

Here's an outfit that is building an arena for arena soccer:

http://www.casl4soccer.com/

Here's a pic of the field under construction, taken on Tuesday, Oct. 31st:

Opening day is slated for November 12th.

I really doubt they would be interested in renting the field to SegPolo players. But you never know. Maybe they have a "slow" season?

Anyway, the construction crew left the doors open late Monday evening / early Tuesday morning, and I had a chance to glide around on the artificial turf surface for a few minutes.

Traction was OK, but not quite as positive as natural grass. A little sliding occurred, but not very alarming. No bumps or ruts of any kind, of course, so that's a plus. Probably would get a bit of "rugburn" if exposed skin skidded along the surface in a fall.

Check their site out. These soccer guys are very well organized, team dues, ref. fees, several different leagues. One can only dream of the time when SegPolo will be so developed. Oh well, maybe that's a bit of a reach. But I find it entertaining to consider the possibility.

Here's the rental page that shows the rental by the hour charges.

I guess this is "off topic" as it doesn't fit into the regular categories. Anybody have an opinion on petitioning for adding some new forum categories? I would suggest a SegPolo forum and a "Make & Build"-for-your-PT forum. No urgency for the request. Just trying to avoid cluttering up the main forum with these silly little posts.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
... I guess this is "off topic" as it doesn't fit into the regular categories. Anybody have an opinion on petitioning for adding some new forum categories? I would suggest a SegPolo forum and a "Make & Build"-for-your-PT forum. No urgency for the request. Just trying to avoid cluttering up the main forum with these silly little posts.
Personally I don't even look at the categories. I have my link set to look only for new posts so I never have to look at the categories.

So, make as many categories as you want....or make as few as you want. End of the day I only look at the new stuff anyway.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Cody2526
Cody2526 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

That would be awesome to play in a Segway Polo Stadium. I'd like one just to avoid the unnoticable bumps in the grass, and not having to worry about those holes with sprinklers in them. Those can be a pain if you arn't watching, and you'll most likely be focused on the game if you're playing.

I'd rather have traction, and no rug burn. It's never fun to do anything after getting badly rug burned.
Cody2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member
Default Re: categories,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Personally I don't even look at the categories. I have my link set to look only for new posts so I never have to look at the categories.

So, make as many categories as you want....or make as few as you want. End of the day I only look at the new stuff anyway.

Steven
Ah, yes. For regular daily consumption of new posts, I too use the "new posts" link. Categories make little sense, as the main thing is that it is "new".

But when trying to help someone out by digging up an old topic or mis-categorized post with the search feature, not having things organized very well really slows one down.

I'm not complaining, as this newer board (vBulletin) is much more flexible over the previous one. But to keep it running smoothly, older posts have to be shuffled over to the archive section, which removes them from the scope of the search feature.

I wouldn't want the mods or admins to spend a lot of time managing or categorizing the posts, just so future Segchatters can access the archives more easily. So I attempt to point out that if more (specialized) category options existed in the present, when the need arises to find something from the past occurs in the future, it would be made a little easier.

Re: Arenas,

Desert_Seg, I'm curious about your opinion on the prospects of SegPolo on artificial turf. Or the possibility of timesharing with or renting time from an arena soccer organization.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
...Desert_Seg, I'm curious about your opinion on the prospects of SegPolo on artificial turf. Or the possibility of timesharing with or renting time from an arena soccer organization.
I like the concept of SegPolo on artificial turf only in the context of a smoother field but this hasn't really been a problem for us (we do, after all, get to play on a real Polo field).

One of the things I like about SegPolo on real turf is the unknown variable of the ball direction as it bounces across the field. On an artificial surface the ball is going to go straight and true, eliminating this one factor. (I just realized this is only true with the type of ball we use (kids polo ball, sort of like a mini-soccer ball) as the "nerf" style ball won't have this problem.

The other major concern I would have are the boards....which are a key part of all arena games. Imagine not stopping soon enough and slamming into the boards, a la ice hockey!

From the arena owner's perspective, the concern would be the boards, the impact of the Segways / mallets on the turf (something that would have to be tested) and, more importantly, liability.

Now, all the above being said, I'd love to play at least one game on the turf. We wouldn't be able to use the ball we use out here as the turf wouldn't compress enough for us to glide over it as we do on grass.

All in all this could be fun, but very painful if you hit the boards or fall.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 AM   #6
bystander

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
I like the concept of SegPolo on artificial turf only in the context of a smoother field but this hasn't really been a problem for us (we do, after all, get to play on a real Polo field).

<snip>
Thanks. All valid points. I hadn't really put very much thought into the negative aspects of contact the boards. Probably would be expensive to have them covered with an inch or two of foam, and that might be give a false sense of safety anyway.

Of course, natural turf would be desirable in almost any case, just pointing out artificial turf as a possible option in places where natural turf isn't readily available or accessible.

Horse polo can be played in an arena. They do use a different ball (it's larger for arena style), and there are some rule changes.