SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-12-2003, 02:31 PM   #1
Sunday
Sunday is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Segways for the Disabled

Just a thought to share: I was wondering how people might feel about organizing a charity that provides Segways, free of charge, to mobility impaired persons. This would be similar to the way service dogs are provided for the visually impaired. Any thoughts?

A good friend of mine is a former CFO for many nonprofit organizations like this, and I may ask her for her thoughts on the matter also. I imagine it would be a tremendous undertaking, but do you folks think it would be a good idea?

Sunday
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think it's a GREAT idea!

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 04:09 PM   #3
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I think it would be super, too!
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
edh
edh

5 yr Member

Not disagreeing, I think this is a very noble concept, but what type of disabilities would you see the Segway being able to help?

Again, not disagreeing, but from my little corner of the world here are my thoughts... My Father is paralyzed on his left side from a stroke. Although he is able to walk with the help of a cane and leg brace - and years of physical therapy - I cannot imagine the Segway being safe for him to use alone. If there were ever any sudden situation (machine failure (unlikely), bad surface that he didn't see, sudden obstacle etc) I just don't think he would have the motor skill and coordination to control the machine and/or save a fall.

I am making a big assumption here, but I would guess many people who have lower body disabilities, but can still stand, would face similar problems by definition. I am not an expert here, but I have spent years around my Father, and many months with him at physical therapy - seeing many people in similar situations.

I do have an open mind here, and would love to hear some feedback on how the Segway could help - and become involved if I believe it to be a just cause.
edh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 05:27 PM   #5
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Well, two things. If this would be retroactive I will be happy to provide my address. (Just kidding!)

edh, I think your father would do wonderfully on a Segway, but only he could tell you for sure. I also cannot walk and use a wheelchair every day, but I also use the HT every day as well. It has changed my life and it has changed the life of many other disabled, some you will find posting here in this forum. Sometimes family members want to protect the disabled a little too much and consequently prevent them from attaining their full potential. My suggestion, have your father try an HT with several people around to monitor him, which will protect him, and also give him confidence which may allow him to feel comfortable on it. Look, you're not going to get much help or encouragement from LLC for the disabled, I really don't think they'll publicly talk to anyone or encourage it at all except for training a disabled person, if they come along. But I really think he can use it, just let him live a little, take a chance!

Now as for giving away HT's to the disabled, while I think that your heart is certainly in the right place I honestly believe that the disabled as a whole can use the money for many other things more important than HT's. If you're looking for a charitable venture for the disabled I think it's terrific and I also believe that while it would be wonderful to do it in the name of a Segway user group, unless LLC would underwrite it by giving the HT's at a terrific discount (which I doubt) I think the money could be used for a lot better purposes, I'll be happy to suggest a few!
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:17 AM   #6
mattk
mattk is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Insurance should cover the purchase of a Ibot. I am not saying they will, but they should
mattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:53 AM   #7
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

Edh - If your father has left side paralysis then I would say he would have a problem using the Segway as the control for turning is on the left side. Other than that I would disagree with you.

A lot with disabilities use the Segway to tootle round at a walking speed, and gain such freedom and mobility this literally changes their lives. Just using it around the house or yard is an amazing liberation for some.

I don't know if you are a Seg user, or have tried one, but if not, and you are in a position to try one out - please do.

I have a friend who recently took delivery of one. He has severe nerve damage that makes it close to impossible to get around. When he does walk, as with most of us with walking problems, it takes great effort involving much of the body in strenous side to side movements. It's exhausting. On the Segway he stands upright and moves around gracefully.

Track down a Seg and try it.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:18 PM   #8
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

Sunday - sorry - I didn't reply to your suggestion. I think, in theory, it is a great idea. However, with the fairly widespread misconceptions about the Segway amongst the general public, I believe most would dismiss this as 'putting dangerous machines in the hands of the disabled.'

Until the Segway is better understood generally I don't think the idea would be encouraged.

Your heart is in a great place.

Just my two cents worth.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:32 PM   #9
Sunday
Sunday is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Thanks everyone for the replies! This litle idea will be long term project for sure, but it is good toget a feel for what folks here think about it; especially users with mobility issues.

Sunday
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 03:37 PM   #10
albaby
albaby

5 yr Member

If you don't mind my making a somewhat simple observation....

I appreciate that the mobility provided by the Segway could be life-altering. But there are a wide variety of other motorized assistive devices available, and have been for years, that also serve. These are the traditional seated scooters, like the Jazzy. My father has used one for nearly a decade since the onset of a degenerative nerve disorder.

Many of these models are thousands of dollars less than the Segway, and may be more readily covered by insurance.

The Segway may be exceedingly useful for mobility-impaired individuals. But it is not the only option, and it's certainly not the cheapest. The introduction of the Segway is just one more alternative - and I can only hope that there's no one who has suffered the loss of freedom caused by mobility-impairment because they were unaware that there have long been alternatives besides the Segway.

Any charitable effort is appreciated, but you might seriously consider more conventional scooters, which can be provided to more individuals given the same level of contributions.

Albaby
albaby is offline   Reply With Quote