SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Tire Replacement Pain & i3 Wish

Special Thanks to long time SegwayChat member TerryP for saving me from myself on a tire replacement job. I had fought with installing new tires for six hours with only Swiss cheese looking tubes to show for the effort. TerryP (with minor help from me) had two tires mounted without tube holes in 45 minutes!

So the one feature on my i3 wish-list is a different wheel design. Maybe the Michelin Airless Tweel or a simple 1940's truck bolt together split rim, I don't care but it shouldn't continue with the home repair nightmare i2 rims.

Segway has three good market growth areas; Police use, Tour Groups, and all us/those aging baby-boomers and we're getting too old and cranky to be fighting with tire irons, tubes, and bloody hands.

A few facts on this tire change:
Lost the center thread channel (time to replace indicator) at 3,500 miles.
Knowing the change would be difficult decided to delay to ~ 4,000 miles.
There is a difference in handling after the center thread is gone.
Tire squirm was very noticeable and a bit unsettling on rough surfaces.
Overall cornering also seemed less precise.
Noticed a big difference when the new tires were used yesterday, it is like a new SEG.
Final miles before tire replacement 4,125
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Popup
Popup is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Why don't you describe how it is done and perhaps give us some lessons learned so that the rest of us can benefit from your experience.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Do not feel bad in that you are hardly the only one with a problem replacing these tires. But not all things that are hard are difficult for all.

I, too, have been fortunate enough to be in a position to help out a person with a tire problem, and he too was thankful that I was able to help him. Part of it is the right tools and familiar with their use, and part is that some people simply find this project more difficult than others. My ability to change these tires does not mean much, as they are a fairly hard tire, relatively, if compared to a bike, but not so much if compared to a motorcycle or car.

Of course, some people find quantum physics easy too, and that is one that I might go to another for assistance. To each their own.

Key is, your glide is back on. Good for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
dynk
dynk is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Do not feel bad in that you are hardly the only one with a problem replacing these tires. But not all things that are hard are difficult for all.

I, too, have been fortunate enough to be in a position to help out a person with a tire problem, and he too was thankful that I was able to help him. Part of it is the right tools and familiar with their use, and part is that some people simply find this project more difficult than others. My ability to change these tires does not mean much, as they are a fairly hard tire, relatively, if compared to a bike, but not so much if compared to a motorcycle or car.

Of course, some people find quantum physics easy too, and that is one that I might go to another for assistance. To each their own.

Key is, your glide is back on. Good for you.
Karl helped me changing a tube once, and I was very grateful. He made it easy and partly it was his tools, one home made.
dynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
Why don't you describe how it is done and perhaps give us some lessons learned so that the rest of us can benefit from your experience.
I've done this a few times because I like to experiment with different tires for my i180 rims that were originally made for scooters or motorcycles. The changes also include putting the stock tire back on the rims too. Anyway, here's the steps:
  1. Load Segway wheels and existing tires in the back of the van with the new tires and/or tubes.
  2. Drop everything off at the local tire shop (Les Schwab, in my case).
  3. Pick everything up an hour later.
  4. Go home and mount the new setup on my Segway.

My tire shop does this all for about $15.00. Once they did it for free. I've bought all my wheels and tires for my motor vehicles for the last 20+ years from the same shop and trust them implicitly. They damaged a full moon hubcap once. I ordered a new one and they paid for it. A good tire shop is a great benefit to anyone who drives and glides.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttonChops View Post
Special Thanks to long time SegwayChat member TerryP for saving me from myself on a tire replacement job. I had fought with installing new tires for six hours with only Swiss cheese looking tubes to show for the effort. TerryP (with minor help from me) had two tires mounted without tube holes in 45 minutes!

So the one feature on my i3 wish-list is a different wheel design. Maybe the Michelin Airless Tweel or a simple 1940's truck bolt together split rim, I don't care but it shouldn't continue with the home repair nightmare i2 rims.

Segway has three good market growth areas; Police use, Tour Groups, and all us/those aging baby-boomers and we're getting too old and cranky to be fighting with tire irons, tubes, and bloody hands.

A few facts on this tire change:
Lost the center thread channel (time to replace indicator) at 3,500 miles.
Knowing the change would be difficult decided to delay to ~ 4,000 miles.
There is a difference in handling after the center thread is gone.
Tire squirm was very noticeable and a bit unsettling on rough surfaces.
Overall cornering also seemed less precise.
Noticed a big difference when the new tires were used yesterday, it is like a new SEG.
Final miles before tire replacement 4,125
Wheel design, lol !

Let's see they have run out of totally inconvenient places to put the valve stem so I guess it's time to make it accesable again. Ya know like it was on the first Segways. Not to mention the overpriced tires that are stock. To INCs buyers go shopping there are far better, less expensive tires.

I have no other comments on things I'd like on a new model until they re-work the simple things.

Please back to basics no more form over function.

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Wheel design, lol !

Let's see they have run out of totally inconvenient places to put the valve stem so I guess it's time to make it accesable again. Ya know like it was on the first Segways. Not to mention the overpriced tires that are stock. To INCs buyers go shopping there are far better, less expensive tires.

I have no other comments on things I'd like on a new model until they re-work the simple things.

Be Big,
AMAC
This!!!! Been using an i2 since 07, the stupid aesthetic over function choices still annoy me!

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Default It could be worse

Quote:
Wheel design, lol !

Let's see they have run out of totally inconvenient places to put the valve stem so I guess it's time to make it accesable again.
At least the stem is still on the outside of the tube
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Wheel design, lol !

Let's see they have run out of totally inconvenient places to put the valve stem so I guess it's time to make it accesable again. Ya know like it was on the first Segways. ...

Be Big,
AMAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
This!!!! Been using an i2 since 07, the stupid aesthetic over function choices still annoy me!
Long ago, I drilled a hole in the appropriate place, added a short extension, and mounted the tube the other direction. The result is that since 2007, the tube stem comes out the factory hole, but instead of bending toward the inside of the segway, mine bends toward the outside, goes thru the wheel, and is accessible outside the segway tire, just like almost every other inflated tire on the planet.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
  1. Load Segway wheels and existing tires in the back of the van with the new tires and/or tubes.
  2. Drop everything off at the local tire shop (Les Schwab, in my case).
  3. Pick everything up an hour later.
  4. Go home and mount the new setup on my Segway.
Did you really have good results with this? My authorized Segway dealer is a bit of a long trip for me, but there are tire places all over the place. I've been wondering if I could just buy Segway tires (when the time comes) and bring my Segway to a local tire place, but I wasn't sure if I would get a response along the lines of "I don't know what the heck that is, so get it outta here!"

I certainly don't mind paying them for their service, but I'm just not sure if they would even be willing to try.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote