SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member
Default Parking Stand Mod

The Segway Parking Stand has one horrible issue; it breaks. What happens is that typically the spring will bend near the attachment point making it unble to support the Segway from that point on.

Once your Segway Parking Stand has broken in the typical fashion though, you can actually make a better one.

Here's what ya do. Go to a hobby store and pick up a piece of brass tube stock. 19/32x.014 Costs about $3.50.

Using a tube cutter, cut the tube to the appropriate length. While you're at it, cut two and keep one for a spare. The brass tubing -may- eventually break again, but that is FAR preferable to your bolts that attach the parking stand to the base breaking.

Remove the heat shrink tubing from the stand and replace it with the brass tube.

The outward pressure of the still attached and bent spring will hold the brass tube in place and allow for some slop.

Here's the finished product.

Last edited by quade; 05-28-2008 at 08:00 PM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
Segwaiian
Segwaiian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quade,

Looks good!

How long have you had this mod deployed, and have you had any problems?

Aloha,
Roger
Old 06-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Been riding it for a couple of weeks now with no issues. Whereas the original stand would flex quite a bit and could sometimes be tricky in getting the unit to balance on slightly uneven ground, this mod is slightly better. That said, it can only do so much when you consider the contact patch of the stand.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is purely aesthetic; brass doesn't mix with chrome and "silver". That said, it's my own dang fault for being too lazy paint it black. Then again, paint would eventually chip since I'm also too lazy to deploy it by hand the kick it with my shoe. I suppose I could have used aluminum, but at the same dimensions and wall thickness available in the local hobby shop, I felt that didn't have the strength required.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
NotQuiteCode3
NotQuiteCode3 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Would black PVC pipe work instead of brass? It has a bit of flexibility (necessary for those of us who sometimes forget to put the kickstand up before taking off) and would break before tearing the bolts out of the base.

Where the stand comes in contact with the ground, you could get better traction by attaching a rubber replacement tip for a wallking cane - they have those at OSH. That might help with the stability problem on uneven surfaces, too.

What do you think?

Lynn

Last edited by NotQuiteCode3; 06-01-2008 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Clarification
NotQuiteCode3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default Instead of paining it...

try some heat shrink tubing.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
quade

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonkey View Post
try some heat shrink tubing.
I'll pop over to Radio Shack tomorrow to pick some up. Good idea.

I kinda wonder about the overall thickness of it on top of the brass tube, but we'll see. Sure it's only a few hundredths of an inch, but . . .
Old 06-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteCode3 View Post
It has a bit of flexibility (necessary for those of us who sometimes forget to put the kickstand up before taking off) and would break before tearing the bolts out of the base.
I have had a habit of occasionally turning the unit on while on the stand and then, unthinkingly putting my foot on the back edge of the mat to tilt the unit backward so that I could pull it out of its "parking spot" in the garage. You are right this can cause the unit to quickly back up and try to get the platform level -- and that puts quite a strain on the stand. From what I understand, it doesn't break off the screws, it breaks the mechanism just below the screws. Either way, not good. For those of us with that bad habit, a solution is to make the stand long enough that you can't easily put the unit into balance mode with the stand in the down position (you can't get the green "level" LED).

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
g041579
g041579 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Parking Stand

It seems to me that you could possibly replace the spring
and threaded stud with a machine threaded bolt or stud at the proper length.Then put shrink wrap around the kickstand
for a nice finish.This would create a solid steel stand.
g041579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
quade

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g041579 View Post
It seems to me that you could possibly replace the spring
and threaded stud with a machine threaded bolt or stud at the proper length.Then put shrink wrap around the kickstand
for a nice finish.This would create a solid steel stand.
There is a small danger of damaging the base unit if you make the stand TOO sturdy, which is why it has the spring in the first place. I kinda like the idea of an inexpensive and replaceable point of failure.

My original idea was "almost" what you've suggested but used wood instead of steel, however, the spring seems to REALLY be on there and I think I'd need a pretty good cutting tool to get it off. I've tried.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by g041579 View Post
It seems to me that you could possibly replace the spring and threaded stud with a machine threaded bolt or stud at the proper length.Then put shrink wrap around the kickstand for a nice finish.This would create a solid steel stand.
Have you seen http://forums.segwaychat.com/showpos...67&postcount=5 . Very similar approach to what you suggest.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote