SegwayChat
Home . Photos . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #51
airdale
Member
airdale is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 460
3 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFloridian View Post
Spoke to NinebotUS today. They informed me that while the Elite models are no longer being manufactured, there is plenty of inventory available and plenty of parts. The Elite is not off the market and is still being sold.

Found out that one way to make the Segway Ninebots fail is to run them downhill on a full battery. Since they use regenerative technology when "braking," when they are fully charged the downhill run can cause the circuits to overcharge and overload, resulting in complete system failure without warning. Who knew?
(Where is the overcharge shunt safety circuit?)
Wow.....Where I used to live was a steep hill when I left my home....My X2 hated that part fully charged.....But it NEVER shut down!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #52
electrijim
First Timer
electrijim
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH, USA.
Posts: 12
5 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFloridian View Post
Spoke to NinebotUS today. They informed me that while the Elite models are no longer being manufactured, there is plenty of inventory available and plenty of parts. The Elite is not off the market and is still being sold.

Found out that one way to make the Segway Ninebots fail is to run them downhill on a full battery. Since they use regenerative technology when "braking," when they are fully charged the downhill run can cause the circuits to overcharge and overload, resulting in complete system failure without warning. Who knew?
(Where is the overcharge shunt safety circuit?)
Do you mean you personally had a Ninebot shut down in this situation? Which model was it? Were you injured? As the owner of a MiniPro, an Elite+, and an i2SE, I need to prepare myself for these situations.
electrijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #53
PeteInLongBeach
Member
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about
 
PeteInLongBeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,123
5 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFloridian View Post
Found out that one way to make the Segway Ninebots fail is to run them downhill on a full battery. Since they use regenerative technology when "braking," when they are fully charged the downhill run can cause the circuits to overcharge and overload, resulting in complete system failure without warning. Who knew?
(Where is the overcharge shunt safety circuit?)
Fabulous Chinese engineering. Along with non-redundant systems, yet another reason I will not own one of these "Segway" knockoffs....
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #54
jdmm72
First Timer
jdmm72 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: US
Posts: 1
Default

I have now had 2 Minipros shutoff and fail on braking. The first one was on hardwood, I figured it just slipped. When I got off my butt and went to it, it was off. It would not restart for DAYS. Battery was probably 80% charged. It also would not recharge. It was brand new, so I RMAed it through Amazon, and got another one. By the time I got the replacement, the original one started working again.

Today, the replacement one (not in my possession for a week) just dumped me on dry asphalt during braking. No warning, just quit braking and balancing, sending me down. It also will not power on. The battery was also right at 80%.
jdmm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:36 AM   #55
TopFloridian
Junior Member
TopFloridian is on a distinguished road
 
TopFloridian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrijim View Post
Do you mean you personally had a Ninebot shut down in this situation? Which model was it? Were you injured? As the owner of a MiniPro, an Elite+, and an i2SE, I need to prepare myself for these situations.

No, I have not personally had a full charged downhill failure.
It was just something that a support personal warned me about. (My area is pretty flat.)

I have had my Segway Ninebot Elite Plus for over three months now and it has never failed me (yet). It has been a very steady ride.

I can not say the same for my Segway Ninebot MiniPro, which I rode for a year and a half, and failed several times, most notably when hitting a bump at the wrong speed, when one wheel needed to go over a bump and the other was going flat, and on a slippery floor.
TopFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #56
truck
Junior Member
truck is on a distinguished road
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Breinigsville PA
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFloridian View Post
No, I have not personally had a full charged downhill failure.
It was just something that a support personal warned me about. (My area is pretty flat.)

I have had my Segway Ninebot Elite Plus for over three months now and it has never failed me (yet). It has been a very steady ride.

I can not say the same for my Segway Ninebot MiniPro, which I rode for a year and a half, and failed several times, most notably when hitting a bump at the wrong speed, when one wheel needed to go over a bump and the other was going flat, and on a slippery floor.
In what way did it fail?
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #57
TopFloridian
Junior Member
TopFloridian is on a distinguished road
 
TopFloridian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
In what way did it fail?
Completely and suddenly failed, like the power had been turned off!
Each time I fell over and hit the ground flat and horizontally.

No chance to even put my hands out to break my fall.

(Might be a good thing, nothing broke.
Thank heaven I always wear my helmet! Now upgrading to MIPS helmets)

Last edited by TopFloridian; 01-17-2018 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Minor
TopFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #58
truck
Junior Member
truck is on a distinguished road
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Breinigsville PA
Posts: 43
Default

Do the wheels lock up or do they keep turning and you lose balance.
Probably happened so fast you couldn't tell, but if you do know, please tell.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #59
TopFloridian
Junior Member
TopFloridian is on a distinguished road
 
TopFloridian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Do the wheels lock up or do they keep turning and you lose balance.
Probably happened so fast you couldn't tell, but if you do know, please tell.
All the failures happened when I was using the knee steering device. Good news was that on those occasions when I fell forward, the handle wasn't there to hit me as I hit the ground.

The wheels did not lock up.
(As you know Segway devices have no real brakes. Not an issue when you have fully controllable power in both directions.)

Once power to the wheels &/or auto-balancing stops it is virtually impossible for them to stay erect.

I once tried to see if I could balance on my MiniPro with it's power off while holding on to a shopping wagon. Even then I don't think it is possible to stay straight, it just rolls away from you and collapses. Don't know what would happen with a full sized Segway like my Elite.
TopFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #60
electrijim
First Timer
electrijim
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH, USA.
Posts: 12
5 yr Member
Default

So far in this thread, 3 guys have said their Elites suddenly died when charge was down to 2, 3, or 4 bars. Since then, I've been sure my Elite always has 10 bars before I get on. Today I just discovered that although the Elite has two batteries in a single pack, the Ninebot iPhone app SEPARATELY lists the charge of each of the 2 batteries! When I rode it today, each battery started at 100%, and after riding a little while, one was at 75%, and the other at 76%. Did any of you guys with failures know about this app's double readout? I've always suspected that all 3 of you guys had one completely failed battery before you got on to ride (and then fell).
electrijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.
Copyright 2002-2017 SegwayChat.org.
All rights reserved. Not affiliated with Segway Inc.

FreshBlue vBulletin skin by
VayaDesign
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SegwayChat Archive