SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #31
MacJeepster
MacJeepster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Update: FedEx now says my Segway-ish Airwheel S5 will arrive Monday

The tracking puts the 92-pound box in Syracuse, but they changed the delivery day from Friday to Monday.
I can wait a couple of more days; I've been waiting since 2001.
When Dean Kamen and his billionaire cronies first started talking about the Segway (first called "Ginger;" as in Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers), I was going to buy one right away. Remember. the earliest reports said it was going to change the way cities were built and it would be inexpensive -- $1,000 or so.
I didn't actually need a Segway; I walked pretty well in those days. Nevertheless, it was a huge disappointment to learn I would not be able to afford one.
Kamen completely botched the launch of the Segway. He constructed a U.S. factory capable of building 10,000 Segways a week but never got around to hiring a sales force.
He did he did hire lobbyists to work in each state to get them legalized, with varying success. Here in New York, they're legal everywhere except on the road and on the sidewalk.
However, in 2014, the U.S. Justice Department issued new guidelines for the Americans With Disabilities Act, which basically says people with a disability who use a Segway to get around, can pretty much use it wherever a wheelchair would be allowed.

Sources
I'm sure most of us have read these, but on the off-chance you haven't,:
-The excellent 2003 Wired story on Kamen and the botched Segway introduction:
https://www.wired.com/2003/03/segway/
-The new ADA rules on Segways and "other power-driven mobility devices": https://www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm
MacJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #32
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

10,000 a week is a lot of Segways. Put comfortable walking shoes out of business.

Legal everywhere except a sidewalk or a road is pretty funny. What I don't understand is I see Boosted Boards (powered skateboards) on NY city sidewalks and on the road in Youtube videos. Casey Niestat runs his between traffic and right down the sidewalk.

Odd. Maybe it is a law but no one enforces it? Like jaywalking or keeping and baring arms.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #33
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
Legal everywhere except a sidewalk or a road is pretty funny. What I don't understand is I see Boosted Boards (powered skateboards) on NY city sidewalks and on the road in Youtube videos. Casey Niestat runs his between traffic and right down the sidewalk.

Odd. Maybe it is a law but no one enforces it? Like jaywalking or keeping and baring arms.
In my city, it's illegal (except on private property) to ride hoverboards (and anything else classified as a "motorized bicycle") unless:

a. The device gets a motorcycle inspection (head and tail light, horn, etc.)
b. The operator has a motorcycle endorsement on his/her driver's license.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #34
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
In my city, it's illegal (except on private property) to ride hoverboards (and anything else classified as a "motorized bicycle") unless:

a. The device gets a motorcycle inspection (head and tail light, horn, etc.)
b. The operator has a motorcycle endorsement on his/her driver's license.
Sounds like your motorcycle test is easy if someone on a hoverboard can, and has to, pass it. And you must have a lot of 6th graders with drivers licenses.

The cities around me could care less. Hoverboard trend must have run its course.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #35
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
Sounds like your motorcycle test is easy if someone on a hoverboard can, and has to, pass it. And you must have a lot of 6th graders with drivers licenses.

The cities around me could care less. Hoverboard trend must have run its course.
The local ordinance was passed back when the noisy "pocket rockets" were annoying folks. But the definition of "motorized bicycle" fits a lot of things, including electric scooters, hoverboards, etc.

Of course, the police simply don't enforce the ordinance. Which teaches our kids that they don't have to obey the law.......
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #36
AltRiders
AltRiders is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Great info

Helpful thread, i'm considering buying a minipro so I'm grateful for the thoughts
AltRiders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airwheel s3, airwheel s5, used segway