SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
J Adam Davis
J Adam Davis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Brain Damaged Segway User Arrested!

Can I have your support please?

I am a 74 year old pensioner who for four years has used my Segway as my only means of transport in Sydney Australia. After being picked up on my Segway by the NSW Highway Patrol three times over a few weeks I was arrested and put in the local lockup for four hours and now face a criminal charge! I have been most fortunate in securing the free services of a local Solicitor who says he will take the case to the High Court if necessary. He wants to make it a test case.

What I am seeking is information from other Segway users who have succeeded in similar legal wrangling with the law. Please, this is very important to me.

Regards Adam
J Adam Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Adam Davis View Post

Can I have your support please?

I am a 74 year old pensioner who for four years has used my Segway as my only means of transport in Sydney Australia. After being picked up on my Segway by the NSW Highway Patrol three times over a few weeks I was arrested and put in the local lockup for four hours and now face a criminal charge! I have been most fortunate in securing the free services of a local Solicitor who says he will take the case to the High Court if necessary. He wants to make it a test case.

What I am seeking is information from other Segway users who have succeeded in similar legal wrangling with the law. Please, this is very important to me.

Regards Adam
disclaimer: this is the opinion of someone with no particular first hand experience of your scenario or the local regulations regarding it.

Adam, I'm not sure as to the state of legislation regarding disabled rights in Sydney, but I should that if you would otherwise be able to walk and or ride a bike where you were riding your segway, then you are within the letter of the law. That is of course if the segway is your primary mobility device, otherwise if you were using it as a mode of transportation the issue becomes a little harder to argue in court.
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
DARKKNIGHT
DARKKNIGHT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs up I empathize and feel your pain...

Fellow Segwayer,
I feel your pain and empathize. I am a 56 year old African American male U.S. Veteran who ain't suppose to have a segway! Both black and white people feel this way! What a shame! Did I mention that I am disabled? I have been passed up by bus drivers, refused service by transport operators and missed doctors appointments because the able-bodied refused to acknowledge my disabilities.
What can we do? We just have to keep fighting for our right to exist and live as normal as possible. Here we are turning lemons into lemonade. There they are sucking sour grapes! What a world! Keep on keeping on! Don't be deterred. I hope the solicitor will prevail on your behalf!
Peace,
Dark Knight
DARKKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
astuc
astuc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have an Ontario Human Rights complaint againts the city and it transport providers because my Segway is banned from all city transportation. Only the malls give me a hard time. Deep snow is my biggest obstacle. Nobody should be on the highway! Best of luck with the charges.
astuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Cool Documents

Hi Adam

I have emailed you some relevant NSW documents.
I hope that they will assist you.

Please contact me, if they don't arrive.

Pity that the folk at SegwayUSA and SegwayAUS don't appear to be of much help.

Kind regards
Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
i2Macman
i2Macman is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs down Information relevant to Australia

Hi Adam,
You may care to visit:
http://legalisesegwaysdownunder.com.

There may be some helpful information about the current situation in Australia.
If you need further information then please PM me with your queries.
Hope you find something helpful at this site for your situation.
Cheers,
i2Macman
i2Macman is offline   Reply With Quote