SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Default Seway riding with HEADLIGHTS

I equipped my Segway with inexpensive (cheap) headlights and mounted them on the lower lean steer frame.

be safe
enjoy your glide

the PONY SEAT guy
Bob Yarbrough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The lights look good. I hope they work for you.

For me, and gliding at night, the lights need to do several jobs.

1. Make me visible and therefore safer and less likely to be hit.

2. Make the road more visible, and therefore safer and less likely for me to hit something else.

3. There is a definite cool factor. (personally considered)

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Four minutes of 2 bright spots moving around a blackness with a little lens flare and some barely recognizable reflection thrown in and I still have no idea what kind of lights or what they look like on the Seg.
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
Four minutes of 2 bright spots moving around a blackness with a little lens flare and some barely recognizable reflection thrown in and I still have no idea what kind of lights or what they look like on the Seg.
Yer - reminds me of those little robots flying around from Batteries Not Included!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Yer - reminds me of those little robots flying around from Batteries Not Included!
I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but they were not really little robots flying around, they were little models hanging from wires. They did look pretty good though.

If you could actually make little robots like that that actually do fly around, that would really be a thead worth writing about, and I would love to see the video.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
The lights look good. I hope they work for you.

For me, and gliding at night, the lights need to do several jobs.

1. Make me visible and therefore safer and less likely to be hit.

2. Make the road more visible, and therefore safer and less likely for me to hit something else.

3. There is a definite cool factor. (personally considered)

Karl
the criteria you listed would be or at least should be the requirements of any and everyone who would plan a night time glide including myself. As for the "cool factor", that's personal choice. In the first minute of the video if you pause it in time you'll see the lights projecting onto the side fence about 50 feet away (it's an approximation). Two inexpensive (cheap) lights do a very satisfactory job for anyone at night. I do however understand that some desire more. If anyone wishes to discuss the merits of positioning "handlebars" versus "lower lean steer frame" that discussion might produce some interesting comments.

be safe
enjoy your glide
Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
Old 12-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

Quote:

eJM
I won't go into my visual difficulties here but with what you described of the video I would strongly suggest that you should reconsider any night time gliding with or without headlights.
I'm sure with professional videography the video could
be produced to higher standards for you but alas it's just a youtube video for what it's worth.

As for the lights, like I said they're inexpensive (cheap, $10 at most any store). If you are asking about the lightrack itself it's home-made. I'm inclined not to show the things I've made in their home-made versions for they really are quiet crude by most standards.
I do hope someday that finished prototypes of my projects may be produced but with the "success" I've have in the past two years I'm not gonna be holding my breath for it to happen anytime soon. no sirree

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

My corrected vision is just fine, Bob. I glide day and night, even drive a car and sometimes get up in the middle of the night to go pee without turning on the lights.

You know what the lights look like, so you think anyone viewing the video can see what you already have a vision of in your own head. If you don't want to show actual pictures of the setup or the products you bought, or even do as little as provide a manufacturer name so we can look it up for ourselves, then that's fine. You certainly don't have any requirement to do so.

I had no idea about your "lightrack" because it's not visible in the video. I have a high quality video card and high resolution monitor, so it's not the fault of my system or eyes. I just thought it was a kinda waste of 4 minutes to watch what I thought would be a little more revealing. But that's okay. I got plenty of time to spare. It ain't like I got 1 foot in the grave... oh wait... I DO have 1 Foot In The Grave.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

Quote:
My corrected vision is just fine, Bob. I glide day and night, even drive a car and sometimes get up in the middle of the night to go pee without turning on the lights.

You know what the lights look like, so you think anyone viewing the video can see what you already have a vision of in your own head. If you don't want to show actual pictures of the setup or the products you bought, or even do as little as provide a manufacturer name so we can look it up for ourselves, then that's fine. You certainly don't have any requirement to do so.

I had no idea about your "lightrack" because it's not visible in the video. I have a high quality video card and high resolution monitor, so it's not the fault of my system or eyes. I just thought it was a kinda waste of 4 minutes to watch what I thought would be a little more revealing. But that's okay. I got plenty of time to spare. It ain't like I got 1 foot in the grave... oh wait... I DO have 1 Foot In The Grave.

eJM
My understanding (as little as it may be) after my years of opthamology visits is that even with corrective vision potentially night time vision may present difficulties. I based my statement on your description of the video (including particularly the first minute of the video), since you did not seem to discern a difference in the lighting.

Basically, YES, I know I'm being an "***" by not publicizing my home-made projects, and I know someone will eventually "produce" the same or very similar designs that I did. One of my early contacts offered me web page space on his site, nothing more. Of course that would have meant he would then know the design. A local gentleman somehow associated with Segway of Richmond offered to build a prototype of my "PONY SEAT". I showed him the seat, he took pictures and after a year of repeated excuses with nothing of any substance to show, an additional year of no contact from this gentleman has past.
I hope you may understand my reluctance to show what I have in home-made(only) form. They do work quiet well in that form but until someone can turn these projects into a finished prototype I'll just have to be content to sit on the sidelines.

Thanks,
sorry for my blabbing but it feels good to get it off my chest.

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
Old 12-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob yarbrough View Post
My understanding (as little as it may be) after my years of opthamology visits is that even with corrective vision potentially night time vision may present difficulties.
Bah! I don't know what you're going on about. My vision, day and night, is just fine. I complained about your video not showing anything more than a couple bright lights shining and bouncing and not showing what the lights look like. You criticized my eyesight. You also make excuses for your video, but it's just a waste of 4 minutes, in my opinion. You could have cut 4 minutes off and the 19 seconds left would have shown everything you took 4:19 to show.

If you want to keep your mount a secret, fine. But you don't even tell us the brand or model of the lights so we can get an idea what your setup looks like. Why waste our time with poor quality video if you aren't going to give us anything more?

Mounting bars and attachments for the Segway are nothing new. Unless you have the ability to design and create something unique and stylish, who cares if someone else comes up with something stylish and unique? If you think someone would steal your ideas, you should patent them or at least consult an attorney.

'Course, I've got no one else to blame but myself for my wasted time on this now. I'll quit while I'm behind.