SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Well, there’s your problem!

The LeanSteer frame is for left/right steering, not fore/aft locomotion. Rest your hands on the LeanSteer frame, but don’t push/pull. “Lean” to go forward or aft. If you’re doing it right, the machine acts like an extension of your thinking. Effortless!
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 PM   #12
neoflyer
neoflyer is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Well, there’s your problem!

The LeanSteer frame is for left/right steering, not fore/aft locomotion. Rest your hands on the LeanSteer frame, but don’t push/pull. “Lean” to go forward or aft. If you’re doing it right, the machine acts like an extension of your thinking. Effortless!
Thanks. I’all pay more attention to that the next time I ride.
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
fabricGator
fabricGator is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

I have heard that flying an F-14, that the pilot merely thinks about movement and the jet-plane does it. No conscious movement of the stick, merely a thought.

I too am starting out with a Ninebot MiniPro and I was comfortable in an hour or two. Then I went to a skateboard park while all the kids were in school and got thrown at the top peak of a 'roof' type ramp structure. (the only feature I could use at the park other than the smooth pavement and obstacles for slalom maneuvers)

Anyway, I have realized that the most important instruction in the book when training of a new rider "Look straight ahead..."

Everything is intuitive and when you look straight ahead and don't think too much into it, it becomes a natural extension of your body.

I find I would have to work hard at running into a wall.
I'll say it again, I would have to work hard at running into a wall... the reason is that your instinct is to lean ever so slightly backwards as you approach a wall and the SEG will respond to that and smoothly come to a stop.

BTW, I went over that 'roof' ramp three times without issue before it threw me. And that one time that I fell, was because I was trying to go over it 'carefully'. The same with a transition onto lawn. If I approach it with care, I am more likely to fall than if I just look straight ahead and drive on...

I tell my friends "Don't try so hard. Your brain will figure it out instinctively"

Last edited by fabricGator; 06-22-2019 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: editing out turrets induced profanity...
fabricGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #14
neoflyer
neoflyer is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricGator View Post
I have heard that flying an F-14, that the pilot merely thinks about movement and the jet-plane does it. No conscious movement of the stick, merely a thought.

I too am starting out with a Ninebot MiniPro and I was comfortable in an hour or two. Then I went to a skateboard park while all the kids were in school and got thrown at the top peak of a 'roof' type ramp structure. (the only feature I could use at the park other than the smooth pavement and obstacles for slalom maneuvers)

Anyway, I have realized that the most important instruction in the book when training of a new rider "Look straight ahead..."

Everything is intuitive and when you look straight ahead and don't think too much into it, it becomes a natural extension of your body.

I find I would have to work hard at running into a wall.
I'll say it again, I would have to work hard at running into a wall... the reason is that your instinct is to lean ever so slightly backwards as you approach a wall and the SEG will respond to that and smoothly come to a stop.

BTW, I went over that 'roof' ramp three times without issue before it threw me. And that one time that I fell, was because I was trying to go over it 'carefully'. The same with a transition onto lawn. If I approach it with care, I am more likely to fall than if I just look straight ahead and drive on...

I tell my friends "Don't try so hard. Your brain will figure it out instinctively"
Thanks. This sounds like very reasoned advice.

And thanks to all other’s advice. It’s all adding up.
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #15
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

What you heard about the F14 is wrong.

That person was describing the aircraft in the Clint Eastwood movie, “Firefox”. BTW, you had to “think in Russian”, whatever that means.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
fabricGator

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
What you heard about the F14 is wrong.

That person was describing the aircraft in the Clint Eastwood movie, “Firefox”. BTW, you had to “think in Russian”, whatever that means.
Oh yeah, I remember that movie.

Regardless, i found that when i stopped thinking about riding the minipro, that is when I became comfortable in its operation.

What continues to bite me occasionally is trying to open a heavy door with the opposite hand (reaching across with the opposite hand makes me lean into opening a heavy door and that makes me spin out in the wrong direction).

The other caution I have is that when wearing shorts, dismounting gets real interesting real fast when your shorts leg seam catches the steering bar...
Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #17
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricGator View Post
The other caution I have is that when wearing shorts, dismounting gets real interesting real fast when your shorts leg seam catches the steering bar...
Always wear whatever it is that you'd like to have on when your body parts begin kissing the pavement and you'll have much less pain in your life. There are literally dozens of things I'd never do in shorts . . . . and moving about on a Segway is pretty high up on that list. One day . . . . .

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #18
fabricGator

3 yr Member

Gotcha, good advice.

I always cringe when I see a chump on a motorcycle blasting down the highway on a motorcycle in shorts... Then again, I am sure it is much more comfortable than full battle armor and... if they were to wipe out, it'll probably be game over anyway.