SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #31
RobinM1
Account Suspended
RobinM1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Robstep is the importer for the Robin and they stand behind there warranty
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #32
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Segway established the self-balancing transporter market and the company name is now a label that trips off the tongue more readily than EPAMD, self-balancing tandem personal transporter, etc., etc. The company "Segway" produces more than 2 wheeled self balancing machines, but those offerings are even more of a niche market than their most widely recognised product.

In the UK at least, and possibly further afield, the brand name "Hoover" became a general term for other makes of vacuum cleaner. "I'm Hoovering" is commonly used instead of "I'm vacuuming". There are many manufacturers of vacuum cleaners and Hoover makes many household appliances, but the vacuum cleaner dominates their public image...at least on this side of the pond. What other manufacturers DON'T do is refer to their vacuum cleaners as a "Hoover-type" of machine.

Robin is attempting to raise their profile. Using the excuse that many other clones of the technology are referring to themselves as "Segway-style" - even the child's Dareway are resold on eBay and the like in such a manner. Private individuals can understandably be sloppy in their use of terminology. However, in my opinion, a representative of a competing manufacturer should respect the intellectual rights to the trademarked name "Segway" and resist its use when referring to their own product. They really ought not appear to become irritated when pulled up on such a matter when posting on a forum created for the enthusiasts of Segway's product.

Of course, if you want to promote your product using examples such as this as the justification for using the term "Segway-style"...

Last edited by CovRob; 06-22-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Old 06-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
RobinM1
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

Very well spoken Sir. If we come off as a little irritated I do apolojise, but we have our views and others have theres and I guess it's one will against another cause we are all entitled to our opinions

Make no mistake tho we are not dowing the Segway in anyway. Segways have paved the way for the future of vehicles in our opinion. We simply want people to know there are other options out there, and were not above selling segways on our site, as a matter of fact we'd love to offer our audience a choice or several choices, but it would have to be a firm deal.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #34
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

You answered a question, but not the question I asked…

Are you willing to indemnify us against legal action from Segway?

A simple yes or no please.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
RobinM1
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

I thought I did answer your question ((( The robin M1 is not associated in any form with the segway. The robin m1 is a segway style Balancing Scooter. So there should be no need to indemnify legal action with the segway, as the two are totally different products, but with similar functions )))

But to be specific thats a question you would have to take up with the manufacturer, as I do not have that authority.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #36
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I agree with eJM. RobinM1 is worse than a troll, he is playing word games that are simply not true at best, outright lies at worst.

The Segway Personal Transporter is a device that is not unlike other devices, in that it is a machine made by a company that has copyrighted it's name, and owns it and it's use.

As has been said, if a machine uses a xerographic process, we usually call it a copier. If we call it a Xerox machine, but it is made by Sharp Electronics, we would be wrong, but Neither Xerox nor Sharp would care that much, because we are not actively trying to deceive or siphon off customers. That is not the case here.

If you want to say that a copier company can try to increase their revenue by calling their copier a "Xerox like device" they will loose in court, because the name "Xerox" is a registered trademark, and is owned by Xerox, and no one else can use it to make money, as would be similar to the case here.

Segway has registered their name, and using it in conjunction to try to make money for some other company is just wrong. To try to prove that the name segway is somehow common language to represent an EPAMD is bull. That is why companies register their name and trademarks, so that others cannot try to increase their revenues by using those names. That is also why all the many laws that mention the devices in their legislation do not call the devices segways, but epamds.

By the way, posting here on a Segway Enthusiast site, and trying to hawk some other machine, is low class. IF you want to talk about how great the Robin is, post it on the Robin enthusiast site. No, wait, that is too much like real work, and honest work, because that indicate that you feel the Robin is good enough to sell itself on its own merit, instead of trying to scalp potential segway users.

Many of us are curious about alternate products, even knock offs and cheap copies. I myself was happy to ride a Q scooter, so I could compare it and speak about it from a position of knowledge. The machine I rode belonged to another, so I cannot speak to the marketing that got him to buy it.

I know that I would not go to a Ford enthusiast site to try to sell Toyotas, and would not expect a warm welcome.

I believe we have already given this back alley rube more than enough courtesy, and it is time for him to move on. This has all the credibility as the guy in Time Square selling Rolex 'Alternatives' from a card table.

I am afraid that if this is the best scruples that the Robin machine can muster then the machine must be worth something that matches the deceit that is being displayed. Too bad. I was hoping it was a machine that was good enough to stand on its own, and did not need liars to hawk it.

The segway was good enough to inspire excitement on its own. It did not try to capitalize on someone else's name and reputation to lure potential marks to them.

Again, start with a lie or deceit, and you will not get me to believe the next things you say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #37
RobinM1
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

I should expect such hate mail from segway enthusiast, but a troll? No sir, an you call us a back alley rube and your about tired of us? When you point a finger at someone you have four pointing back at you, no one is forcing you to read this post, you just want to argure about something. Thats whats wrong with the world today, everybody wanna blame everybody else for what happens to them and be arguementative.

I have yet to put the segways down here in this forum, but without even knowing you readily put the robin down, just shows ignorance and fear in my eyes, Last time I checked I know of no segway that can be controlled by a smart phone or tablet? Do you? There are many advantages of owning a robin over a segway for sale but I have not once pointed them out.

Your too busy worrying about what Im going to say next and not concerened at all with the Robin, and to be honest with you, your attitude, it really doesn't matter what you say, as you have shown your childish behavior already ( sound like a 2 year old whos toy got taken away )

Your sad if all you can do is accuse and make false accussations about the Robin. The moderator has the last say on what gets posted but dont get upset cause we defend ourselves.

Competition fears change and so do you aparantely, come on back with some more quick whips, we can do this all day, but my point is made, if you can read the thread we've addressed your wines and cries about the segway word, and will refer to the previous posts for people who cannot read.

Last edited by RobinM1; 06-23-2013 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: misspell
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #38
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Would now be a good time to advertise the new T3-style Segway Patroller model?

^^ just a joke guys!

I think it is reasonable for Robin to post something in this forum but some of the marketing tactics don't sit well with me.

Whilst we may get angry about it, Segway INC should be doing something about it. They should spend more time putting cases like this to bed and less time beating up tour operators (who use Segways) and also use "Segway" in their name. And more time improving their two wheel products than resorting to creating 3 wheel copycats... just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #39
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinM1 View Post
I should expect such hate mail from segway enthusiast, but a troll? No sir, an you call us a back alley rube and your about tired of us? When you point a finger at someone you have four pointing back at you, no one is forcing you to read this post, you just want to argure about something. Thats whats wrong with the world today, everybody wanna blame everybody else for what happens to them and be arguementative.

I have yet to put the segways down here in this forum, but without even knowing you readily put the robin down, just shows ignorance and fear in my eyes, Last time I checked I know of no segway that can be controlled by a smart phone or tablet? Do you? There are many advantages of owning a robin over a segway for sale but I have not once pointed them out.

Your too busy worrying about what Im going to say next and not concerened at all with the Robin, and to be honest with you, your attitude, it really doesn't matter what you say, as you have shown your childish behavior already ( sound like a 2 year old whos toy got taken away )

Your sad if all you can do is accuse and make false accussations about the Robin. The moderator has the last say on what gets posted but dont get upset cause we defend ourselves.

Competition fears change and so do you aparantely, come on back with some more quick whips, we can do this all day, but my point is made, if you can read the thread we've addressed your wines and cries about the segway word, and will refer to the previous posts for people who cannot read.
RobinM1,

Do not get confused. I am not trashing your Robin machine, I am trashing you, the person who has come into another persons house, and said we should disregard the intellectual property of the name "Segway" because you want to sell us something else. Just because you have decided to disregard the law and the ownership of the word Segway does not make the matter settled. Several others have said your use of the words are wrong, yet you disregard them, and say the matter is settled. It is, and you are wrong.

It does not matter what the machine is like. I will not but pure gold from a liar, because if all I know is that the man I am speaking to is a liar, then how will I know if it is really pure gold?

If you want to sell your 'segway alternative', have a good time. I have said many times I am curious, and would look into them when I have the opportunity. I am not worried about the machine, and stated I was disappointed in its spokesman, as that reflects poorly on the machine.

Again, that is because we do not know the machine at all. All we know is your tactics. You are forcing us to make a decision on the machine based on how we feel about you.

This is a technology forum that would not shy away, nor be unhappy with a person from Robbin talking about their machine. Just not here so clearly trying to siphon off segway customers.

Talk about the merits of the machine itself. Tell people if they are interested, tell them about your own web site with your own enthusiasts. Talk about your stuff, but not with the sales pitch. Tell people about what they want to hear about, and send them to your own site if they are willing to go, to get your sales pitch.

I do not feel at all that you have taken my toys. You do not have the capacity. I feel instead that you have come to a party in my back yard, and instead of being happy to be there, you are telling all my guests in my back yard as to how your back yard party is better, and they should consider going to your back yard party instead. But then you tell them that they have to buy 150 machines for us to talk to them. I said it before, and others have as well, it is rude and out of place.

And for the record, Segway did demonstrate a machine that was controllable from a smart phone, but it was not available to the public. It was a prototype that did not go into production, that I am aware of. Lots of video of it, but not available for people to simply go and buy.

Kind of like the same results we have been speaking of for months and months on this forum about the Robbin. (Long before this thread). Lots of video, no easy way to actually purchase one.

You can stay in this backyard, just stop trying to sell your back yard. Saying that the moderators are responsible for you managing your own behavior is like saying the police are responsible to stop you from committing crimes. That is silly. You are responsible to stop yourself from committing crimes, and for managing your own behavior. The moderators may step in if necessary, but we can easily deal with our own back yard party without the need for the police or moderators. Be nice, and people will be nice. Nice included not being rude or inappropriate.

And be careful of calling my posts hate mail. If I had wanted to post hate mail, you would not be at all unaware of it, nor would you have needed to chide me as a two year old. I call it as I see it, and if you are inappropriate in my eyes, it is not because I hate you, it is because you are inappropriate. You speak about me blaming others, yet it is exactly what you have done!

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
RobinM1
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

oooooo k, here we go again. There you go being abusive with your words and saying your thrashing me and not the robin, when in essence I have done nothing wrong to force my opinion on anybody,.... ( do you know it's harder to get honey from a bee hive when you kick it )

We have not overly posted anything about the robin for defending accusations about the name segway. Type in google, segway alternative, theres even a site called segscooters.

We didnt come into your back yard and talk trash about your back yard or try to get people to leave and come to our party, we came into your back yard with good intentions of elevating you to a new perspecitve on the Segway options and alternatives that are available on the market today, you just didnt want to hear it, your motto is I shouldnt be here anyways, thats the way you've come off.

Not once have we said anything negative about the segway, and if you judge the robin M1 on my words and not the machine, then you have to judge the segway on your words and not just the machine.

You have come off as very insecure and jealous of the Robin M1 and it's attempt to enter the main market, and the only excuse you can find to dislike it, is that you dislike me and my words...Because we use the word ( segway ) alternative.

If we have upset you it was unintentional and we will be the bigger man so to speak ( Im a woman by the way ) and apolojise, as we would only like to educate the public about the robin m1, .... unfortunately we've spent allot of time arguing the point of the segway word and not enough about the features about the Robin.

We would love to tell all the features and benefits of the robin, if we can get people to get over the fact that it's not just us who use segway to describe there product, there are literraly hundreds of sites on the internet that advertise segway style, segway alternative, segway type, and so forth, so clearly we didn't come to this tacktic on our own.

We can clearly refrain from this if it's going to keep you upset, our goal is not to upset anyone, but yet to educate the public on the advantages of the robin. If you will refrain from thrashing me and the Robin Im sure I can come up with some excellent points to point out for the Robin in some future posts.

Tags
cheap segway, segway, segway alternative, segways for sale