SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #11
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Tom, I have been using "Pimp My Segway™" since I first Joined this forum
As far as the Trademark law reads; If you Trademark something and publish it, it is considered Trademarked, It Its Registered (®) or Copyrighted (©)THEN you HAVE to register it

Jonathan
Jon

I thought a trademark had to be used in commerce for goods or services - are you going to start offering "pimp my segway" kits?????

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #12
CT Arrow
CT Arrow is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
CT,
Did you see this alternative to the Segway mount that Isidore found? I got two of the small ones and it seems pretty sturdy.

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthr...unt#post128097

John
Hello John, What a great idea! Actually, I like it better then the Segway design.

Andy
CT Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #13
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG1247 View Post
Jon

I thought a trademark had to be used in commerce for goods or services - are you going to start offering "pimp my segway" kits?????
Richard is right, there are no trademark rights on a phrase if they aren't associated with goods or services.

In basic terms a trademark protects words, phrases, designs and the like when identifying the goods or services of one party and distinguishing them from those of others.

So, "Pimp My Segway" kits, yes. "Pimp My Segway" as a standalone phrase, NO.

Unfortunately Jon also has no copyright privilege either. The copyright laws specifically exclude things such as titles, names, short phrases, slogans, etc.

And finally, to correct what was posted...

© does not necessarily means it is registered (nor does it have to). It just means you are protecting your works (look at most websites, they have © but aren't registered)

® means it is a registered copyright and has been accepted by the licensing office.

Unfortunately for Jon, even though he has been using the "Pimp My Segway" phrase for ever, he has no specific rights to it and I doubt he could even get it registered.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #14
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Jon

As far as I know, Jonathan is offering free courses/tutorials regarding how you can pimp your own segway by posting explenations and pictures on this forum

I always apriciate Jonathan's free Pimp my Segway tutorials, great services that he does to the Segway community. I hope it inspires other people to start pimping their segway.

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #15
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'm probably wrong on this, but don't MTV own the rights to "Pimp my [whatever]"?

Just like Virgin, I think, own the rights to "The best [whatever] album in the world...Ever!".

I've been wrong before though () and I'm happy to be wrong again here.

Anyway, we know who the phrase belongs to (Jonathan), enforced in law or otherwise! Anyone else found using it will have to face the wrath of Segway Chat! And will likely be attacked by the Red Barron!

Oh, and this thread is fab. The pics and the mods are great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Richard is right, there are no trademark rights on a phrase if they aren't associated with goods or services.

In basic terms a trademark protects words, phrases, designs and the like when identifying the goods or services of one party and distinguishing them from those of others.

So, "Pimp My Segway" kits, yes. "Pimp My Segway" as a standalone phrase, NO.

Unfortunately Jon also has no copyright privilege either. The copyright laws specifically exclude things such as titles, names, short phrases, slogans, etc.

And finally, to correct what was posted...

© does not necessarily means it is registered (nor does it have to). It just means you are protecting your works (look at most websites, they have © but aren't registered)

® means it is a registered copyright and has been accepted by the licensing office.

Unfortunately for Jon, even though he has been using the "Pimp My Segway" phrase for ever, he has no specific rights to it and I doubt he could even get it registered.

Steven
Old 12-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #16
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I'm probably wrong on this, but don't MTV own the rights to "Pimp my [whatever]"?

Just like Virgin, I think, own the rights to "The best [whatever] album in the world...Ever!".

I've been wrong before though () and I'm happy to be wrong again here...
Yep, you are wrong . MTV (or whomever does the show) owns the rights to "Pimp My Ride" show but you cannot trademark something that does not exist. (Well, you can but if you don't produce it within xx days you lose it).

I don't know about the Virgin phrase though.

Steven
Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #17
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Wink PMS 3 Update

Well, all cables, wires, etc, was mounted back into the Control shaft, with a major modification to the plastic / metal peice that interfaces with the main screw -- (I have no idea whats it called) I had to hollow it out to let the bigger wire harness pass thru (hello Mr. Dremel) But I didnt take any pictures of it, sorry.

anyway handlebar is mounted into the cs shaft, with wires going down the the CS base, i am prepping to start Phase Two, and wiring it all to the CS base

I did a Start Test, to make sure all my wiring and abusing had not hurt the handlebar, and wires.. and Damm this segway is tough!!!!

More to come

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something right™

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #18
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Yep, you are wrong . MTV (or whomever does the show) owns the rights to "Pimp My Ride" show but you cannot trademark something that does not exist. (Well, you can but if you don't produce it within xx days you lose it).

I don't know about the Virgin phrase though.

Steven
I might be wrong, but at least I didn't imagine it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimp_My_Ride#Legal_action
Old 12-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #19
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

I read that reference when I replied to your post but the difference is that they have threatened legal action but never taken it to court.

So, I asked my friendly (US) attorney for an opinion and he spit back what I posted but even more interestingly stated that there is now a growing class of attorneys who will take this type of case for the defendant (not Viacom) and when sued by Viacom bring a countersuit for defamatory and injurious action in the state of...CALIFORNIA (a state that loves awarding damages to the small guy).

Steven
Old 12-09-2006, 07:14 AM   #20
CT Arrow
CT Arrow is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

A Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation ("SLAPP") is a form of litigation filed by a large organization or in some cases an individual plaintiff, to intimidate and silence a less powerful critic by so severely burdening them with the cost of a legal defense that they abandon their criticism. The acronym was coined in the 1980s by University of Denver professors Penelope Canan and George W. Pring.
CT Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote