SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Information on Transportation - planes, cruises

I have HSP, a condition that also gives you weak legs so all your information is greatly appreciated.

I met a Vietnam Vet on a cruise and he was using a Gen1 Segway to get around the boat, when taking a plane he rolls right up to the door and then gets them to check it below. He mentionned that most airlines will not allow a Lithium Ion battery aboard (strange because all laptops are now Lithium Ion) so therefore he had to purchase a refurbished Gen 1 because it comes with Nimh or Nicad batteries

Can I ask how you transport your Segway around locally? and does anyone have experience on planes or cruise ships? thanks, Jean
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Hello,

First not all lithium ions are created equal. The lions on the Segway can not fly on commercial airlines. Period.

From time to time someone here will tell you otherwise, and often tell that they fly with lithium ions.

IT IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE TO TAKE THEM ONBOARD.

As far as day to day transport some use ramps or lifts but the best way IMO is a SegVator.

www.segvator.com

I use a Gen one nickel metal to fly. I gate check it just as I would my wheelchair. I ride it to the plane door than remove the CS. I've tried many ways to protect the shafts but carry on is best. Remember a set of handlebars will cost about $500.00 to 800.00.

Iv have flown hundreds of segments and have had only a few problems.
I've also used the DC Metro and other rail systems.

I have never used it on a cruise. That is territory that can be difficult as most will not allow a Segway, but I know people that do go on cruises. Depends on the line.

For info also visit www.DRAFT.org and take a look around the site. There are many useful advocacy documents there .

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hey Bruneje:

Just wanted to let you know I have HSP too. I just got a Seg i2 with the Segsaddle and it works fantastically for me. I can stand for a few mins but my legs get tired, so I have the segsaddle to sit if I need to. If I am going for more than a few mins, I just use the seat the whole time.

It was easier than I thought it would be. Using the seg is no problem, getting off is a little tricky, I usually hang on to something when i get off. Go for it, it really changed my life significantly. I now go lots of places, before I never would.

Best wishes and good luck

-rwoynaro
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
bruneje

5 yr Member

First not all lithium ions are created equal. The lions on the Segway can not fly on commercial airlines. Period.

From time to time someone here will tell you otherwise, and often tell that they fly with lithium ions.

IT IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE TO TAKE THEM ONBOARD.

As far as day to day transport some use ramps or lifts but the best way IMO is a SegVator.

I use a Gen one nickel metal to fly. I gate check it just as I would my wheelchair. I ride it to the plane door than remove the CS. I've tried many ways to protect the shafts but carry on is best. Remember a set of handlebars will cost about $500.00 to 800.00.

Iv have flown hundreds of segments and have had only a few problems.
I've also used the DC Metro and other rail systems.

I have never used it on a cruise. That is territory that can be difficult as most will not allow a Segway, but I know people that do go on cruises. Depends on the line.

For info also visit and take a look around the site. There are many useful advocacy documents there .

Be Big,

AMAC, thank you for your informational response, I understand about the lions now.

I have a few additional questions,
1) what model do you use?
2) how long does it take to remove the CS and how long then to reconnect after the flight.
3) I take it it is a GEN1 that you use, have you tried the new generation and if so what are the differences?

thanks, Jean
Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
bruneje

5 yr Member

Hey Bruneje:

Just wanted to let you know I have HSP too. I just got a Seg i2 with the Segsaddle and it works fantastically for me. I can stand for a few mins but my legs get tired, so I have the segsaddle to sit if I need to. If I am going for more than a few mins, I just use the seat the whole time.

It was easier than I thought it would be. Using the seg is no problem, getting off is a little tricky, I usually hang on to something when i get off. Go for it, it really changed my life significantly. I now go lots of places, before I never would.

Great to hear and thank you for the response, I am renting one this weekend to try out, and after hearing what you have to say I am really looking forward to the experience. The one I am renting comes with a seat ( I dont know what type, will let you know) If all works out right I would like to purchase one , either a Gen 1 or the I2.

I am a little concerned about getting on and off but time will tell. I would like to purchase one to travel so from what the previous poster says I need to get a Gen1 with Nimh batteries.

Since I am new to the forum , I cannot post my email address until I have 5 posts, but you can contact me at my username at yahoo.com, interested in hearing more about you and how you are coping with HSP.

thanks, bruneje, Jean
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

FYI laptop and cell phone batteries are allowed on planes because they don't contain enough lithium to be considered Hazmat.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default New DOT rule published

I just received the fgollowing notice:

The Department of Transportation (DOT) has announced the first federal rule to specifically provide Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protections to people with disabilities who travel on boats and ships. The rule applies to two categories of vessels - vessels operated by public entities, such as public ferry systems, and vessels operated by private entities that are mainly in the business of transporting people, such as cruise ships. Under the rule vessel operators cannot charge extra for accessibility-related services to passengers, cannot require passengers to furnish their own attendants, and cannot deny access to passengers based on disability. The new rule will become effective 120 days after it is published.
For more information visit this link: http://www.disability.gov/transporta...26_regulations

This is no guarantee that they will allow you to use your Segway on board, of course. It seems to be a very mixed bag of interpretation, but at least this is a step.

What is desperately needed is for the Justice department to make a specific ruling that segways (along with wheelchairs and other things used as mobility devices) are legal when used as a mobility device.

If it is specifically legal when used this way, then no permit would be needed to use it and that problem would be solved. The Interior Department has again avoided dealing with the permit question and has denied my request to void the Missouri Department of Conservation's ruling that a special use permit is required even though no permit is required for ordinary access by wheelchair users or other individuals.

According to their new policy, all disabled Segway users must apply for and receive a special use permit to use any MDC properties in the state. If you are a Segs4Vets recipient, take notice!

According to this rule, when I am traveling, I would not even be permitted to stop along the way at an MDC property which has a handicapped bathroom and unload the Seg in order to use that facility. Since these permits are time and place limited, I would have had to either anticipate that specific time and need and have already applied for and received a permit or have applied for and received a permit for every possible stopping point along my proposed route.

How stupid--and discriminatory -- can you get?
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
MowTin
MowTin is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruneje View Post
Can I ask how you transport your Segway around locally? and does anyone have experience on planes or cruise ships? thanks, Jean
I use the official Segway ramp to roll it into the back of my SUV.

I considered creating my own ramp and buying other ramps but too much hassle invoved. Now that I have the Segway ramp I see how well made and convenient it is.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks Lily,

Good info and much appreciated.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
bruneje

5 yr Member
Default First day of tryout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Hey Bruneje:

-rwoynaro
I picked up the I2 today for the weekend tryout, he had also put a seat on it for me. It was great, he mentionned what you had said about leaning it on a wall to get on and off, worked like a charm.
The seat is from Segway ( I think) I cannot post a photo yet, but will, it basically is in two parts, they attach to each side by using the same holes as the fenders. So you walk right in to the segway as normal (the halves are flipped up) , when you are tired you can bring the two halves down and together they form a seat. If you want a picture of it let me know and I will post. But the advantage is you do not have to swing your leg over anything. To get off you just flip them back up and walk out as normal.
Thanks for the encouragement and your right it is great.