SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
MowTin
MowTin is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Considering Buying a Segway. Have Questions.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Segway.

I walk with a cane. I can get around. I take the train to work and I walk about a city block to work. I can drive without special controls. I can get anywhere I need to go by car, taxi or train but short walking distances can be a problem. But without my cane I have almost no balance. I can stand for only about 10 seconds without holding onto something for balance.

I live in New York City. At work for example, I can't join coworkers when they go out to lunch because I feel like I'm limitting their options to those just within a block radius. So, ideally I would like to take a Segway to work with me.

Also, it would enable me to enjoy Central Park or even travel to Washington D.C. and visit all the monuments.

I know Segways are not legal on NYC sidewalks but I read cops won't bother you if you have a doctor's note etc.

Questions:

1. Does anyone here use a Segway in NYC or any other big city?

2. Can I take the Segway on the NYC subways the same way people take bikes? Is this a reasonable idea for commuting to work?

Another commuting to work option is to drive into Manhattan. Park somewhere and ride Segway into the office.

3. I want to travel. I want to go to Europe and use my Segway to get around. I know Lithium batteries are not allowed on planes. Can I just buy a set NiMH to use when traveling and use lithiums when at home?

4. I can spend no more than $4k on this. What's the best option for my price range and where can I purchase? Also which model is better i2 or i180? I think i180 because it's cheaper and it has power assist. I also think I'd prefer turning with handle bar over leaning considering my balance is not great.

5. I can walk up stairs (like an old man) but can I haul a Segway up a long flight of stairs with power assist?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm very shy. I'm a little nervous when I think about riding around in a Segway in Manhattan where I almost never see one.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default If I can..

If I can be of any help give me a call. I am in Queens also.
We use our segs for EMS..
Martin
718 474 0680

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post

I walk with a cane. I can get around. I take the train to work and I walk about a city block to work. I can drive without special controls. I can get anywhere I need to go by car, taxi or train but short walking distances can be a problem. But without my cane I have almost no balance. I can stand for only about 10 seconds without holding onto something for balance.

I live in New York City. At work for example, I can't join coworkers when they go out to lunch because I feel like I'm limitting their options to those just within a block radius. So, ideally I would like to take a Segway to work with me.

Also, it would enable me to enjoy Central Park or even travel to Washington D.C. and visit all the monuments.

I know Segways are not legal on NYC sidewalks but I read cops won't bother you if you have a doctor's note etc.

Questions:

2. Can I take the Segway on the NYC subways the same way people take bikes? Is this a reasonable idea for commuting to work?

Another commuting to work option is to drive into Manhattan. Park somewhere and ride Segway into the office.

3. I want to travel. I want to go to Europe and use my Segway to get around. I know Lithium batteries are not allowed on planes. Can I just buy a set NiMH to use when traveling and use lithiums when at home?

4. I can spend no more than $4k on this. What's the best option for my price range and where can I purchase? Also which model is better i2 or i180? I think i180 because it's cheaper and it has power assist. I also think I'd prefer turning with handle bar over leaning considering my balance is not great.

5. I can walk up stairs (like an old man) but can I haul a Segway up a long flight of stairs with power assist?

P.S. I'm very shy. I'm a little nervous when I think about riding around in a Segway in Manhattan where I almost never see one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Welcome MowTin

First off, Martin (the previous post) is a great guy, and your best bet for local and appropriate information...

He has both gen 1 and gen 2 machines. You may want to pay him a visit.

If you want to use both LiIon and NiMH batteries, you must buy a gen 1 machine, as the gen 2 cannot use NiMH at all...

There are a couple NYC gliders who post here, but there are not too many. The way the law in NYC reacts to them seems somewhat subjective.

Good luck.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:

Questions:

You'll have to get over your shyness. My experience has been mostly positive attention, but occasionally a bit of negative. But you'll be aware that you stand out.

I do think you'll find it's worth it, though.

I got mine for much the same reasons, though my balance itself is pretty good. (Still, I can trip over minor surface imperfections that others won't even notice).

I've used mine extensively in San Francisco, which made a point of banning them before they'd even seen one, because they were certain they'd run out of control on their steep hills. Hah!

I've only been actually stopped by a policeman once. The Federal Americans with Disabilities Act takes precedence over local ordinance. Most cops know this. My encounter ended happily, though I'd have rather not been delayed in the pouring rain! I've had a couple other brief conversations with SF cops, of a supportive nature.

I do have a placard on my Segway, which often helps eliminate objections.

As for work, the ADA rules apply to the workplace, and they're required to make reasonable accomodations. I always took mine right to my desk, and plugged it in right there, so it was handy to going to meetings, etc. It really saved me a lot of pain.

I can't comment on NYC trains, but I take mine on the local ferry, on BART subways, and Caltrain trains. You need a pass on BART, involving a check of skills and knowing the rules. The rules differ for disabled and non-disabled. Caltrain only allows them for disabled, because they use wheelchair spaces. I don't know why you can't stow them in the bike car, but those are oversubscribed anyway.

Obviously knowing SF rules doesn't help you directly, but maybe will come in handy when discussing it with NYC authorities.

If you want to travel on planes, you'll need a generation 1. The i2 does not take NiMH batteries, unfortunately. That is #1 on my wish list for new stuff from the company!

The big drawback is that they're aging and parts are hard to come by. That's not a reason not to get one, but it's a long-term concern.

I don't know that power assist is a big deal. The i2 has Riderless Balance Mode, which fills much the same role. I've tugged mine up two flights of stairs on several occasions. It's a slow process, but not significantly more strenuous than walking up those stairs. Maybe less, even, since you're forced to pause at each step. I'm not sure how well that works for the generation 1's, as I've never done that, but with the i2, you just give a little tug toward you and up with the handle, and it climbs most any steps. with very little effort on your part. You do want to pull from the center of the handle...

You may want to consider getting a seat, depending on the nature of your balance problems. there are a number of options out there for both gen 1 and gen 2.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
MowTin

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
If you want to travel on planes, you'll need a generation 1. The i2 does not take NiMH batteries, unfortunately. That is #1 on my wish list for new stuff from the company!
That's a terrible drawback for a gen 2. Airports can be a horror. The distances can be extreme. If I couse use my seg right up to the plane door that would be amazing.

Travel is a big deal for me because I really want to be able to glide along Paris or Rome. Or even a place like Las Vegas which I've never been to because they're really only fun if you can walk around.

Actually San Francisco is a city I've always wanted to visit but those hills would make it impossible for me to walk. So hopefully I'll get to glide along the Golden Gate bridge.

Thanks for the information about using your segway on the BART. How do you manage when the train gets really packed?

Now, what's the best place to buy a used one? Ebay? I see some for sale here but not many choices.

--Thanks for all the replies and information.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
That's a terrible drawback for a gen 2. Airports can be a horror. The distances can be extreme. If I couse use my seg right up to the plane door that would be amazing.

Travel is a big deal for me because I really want to be able to glide along Paris or Rome. Or even a place like Las Vegas which I've never been to because they're really only fun if you can walk around.

Actually San Francisco is a city I've always wanted to visit but those hills would make it impossible for me to walk. So hopefully I'll get to glide along the Golden Gate bridge.

Thanks for the information about using your segway on the BART. How do you manage when the train gets really packed?

Now, what's the best place to buy a used one? Ebay? I see some for sale here but not many choices.

--Thanks for all the replies and information.
EBay requires some caution, but I wouldn't rule it out. You need to make sure the serial number matches the owner, etc.

Your local dealer would be a good option.

As for BART when crowded -- I've actually never been on BART when it was crowded. Since I don't like being knocked down, or kicked and banged into, I'd avoid it then with either a cane or my wheelchair, too. It's amazing how blind people can be! But BART rules require you to push it when on the platform, so it'd be somewhere between dealing with a wheelchair and a large suitcase in terms of awkwardness.

When actually ON a Segway, it's far easier to manage crowds than is a wheelchair, and a lot safer than a cane. It does require a lot of patience.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
Chipster
Chipster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Catch up with

You may want to chat with 'lilnyc'....she is downtown I believe.

Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
MowTin

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
You may want to chat with 'lilnyc'....she is downtown I believe.
I tried buy it seems I need at least 5 posts before I can PM anyone.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
MowTin

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Welcome MowTin

First off, Martin (the previous post) is a great guy, and your best bet for local and appropriate information...
You're right, Martin is great guy. He let me try out his p133. That was my first time on a Segway.

I know I want a Gen1 because I want to travel by plane with it. But not sure which gen1 to get.

The p133 seems like it's the perfect size. Why did they start making Segways bigger?

I'm a little concerned about getting a gen1. I know cars live about 15 years or 200,000 miles. Depends how you maintain it. How long do Segways live? There is no oil to change or filters. What determines its longevity?.

Last edited by MowTin; 04-27-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
You're right, Martin is great guy. He let me try out his p133. That was my first time on a Segway.

I know I want a Gen1 because I want to travel by plane with it. But not sure which gen1 to get.

The p133 seems like it's the perfect size. Why did they start making Segways bigger?

I'm a little concerned about getting a gen1. I know cars live about 15 years or 200,000 miles. Depends how you maintain it. How long do Segways live? There is no oil to change or filters. What determines its longevity?.

Actually, the i167 came out before the smaller p133, I believe...

Regardless of that, many people here have their first segways, dating back to 2003 or so... It is really hard to tell how long they will last, or how far they can go... If you search this forum, you will find people with 10000 miles or more on their machines...

I know of a man, a good guy, in Long Island who has a p133 and has had it as long as I have known him... He does not post here much, and his wife who used to be more active still posts, but not much... Perhaps you will get lucky and they will chime in...

I don't know that you will get far by trying to compare segways to cars or other devices, as they really are unique. This is not just in their use, but the experience others have with them, their construction, and several other factors...

Good luck with your purchase... I think you should decide if the segway will fit your lifestyle and needs well, and buy it. Worrying too much about the longevity and other factors will just make it harder, because unlike cars and the like, there is very little statistics you can rely upon... You will hear horror stories and also praises hard to believe...

I have had very good luck with my two machines... I bought a very early E167, and several years later, a very early i2. To the best of my knowledge, the man who bought my e is still using it, but he does not post much here anymore either... That is kind of what happens after 7 years...

Good luck, have fun...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote